Replacing 300W CFL with 250/150w HPS

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 6ty8, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Hi growers, Been researching this for a week now,Currently there is a 300W CFL in a wardrobe (not the walk in type), height of 6 feet, 1.5 feet deep and 2.5 feet wide.
    No exhausts but only one oscillating desk fan, only auto grows previously in pairs, the buds were little airy, dense would be better, was still good though.

If trying to notch up a level with photoperiod sativas and replacing the 300w CFL dual spectrum with a 250w digital HPS Dual S, which I can even tune down to 150w, will this create way too much heat is a concern as there is no vents or extraction, just door open occasionally.
    With everything off the environment temps are about 5 C which is equal to 41F .
    The CFL did generate quite some heat which I didnt expect, and also had a reflector and when on the temps of grow room are about 25º C. which is 77ºF.

Two questions Please.
    1. Will replacing the 300w CFL with a 150W HPS overheat the grow area with the current setup?
    2. Optimum watts to lumens to grow 2 photo plants using HPS, in other words will this setup be efficient?

Some kind of investment here so wanted experts opinions before jumping into any equipment.
    Thanks for your input.

2. I'm no expert but I will try to help.

With the CFL, you had no choice but to keep the CFL's ballast inside the room. With HPS, you can keep the ballast outside of closet, which should help a bit.

Have you thought about a dimmable 400W HPS? @ %50 you would habe 200W, @%75 you would have 300W, and at full power you would have 400W. Not much difference than your 250W you have in mind except some extra Watts for near harvest time.

Why don't you make an exhaust port? If your not scrubbing then a simple PC fan would do wonders.

3. cheers for the reply twisted, Well vent is the only reason stopping me from going for a 400+ watter, fear of overheating, but there is an exhaust vent on the wall so will think of an option. Its just that trying to be discreet as possible. Yea 120 pc fan is an excellent option but Im not so much into the wiring and powering them from mains is confusing as the pc fans have different plugs, so was thinking of connecting them with usbs cable.
    peace!