Repairing a Vintage Pipe

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by sanitysama, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Hello everyone. I came here because of a pipe I recently inherited from one of my parents. It's made of several threaded pieces of brass and some sort of plastic making up the bridge of the pipe.

I attempted to clean it with rubbing alcohol and it cracked as soon as I stuck a brush in. Upon closer inspection, I noticed it had cracks all over it. If I had noticed these cracks through the filthy resin I perhaps would have thought twice about shoving an abrasive pipe cleaner inside it. It's also probably not suitable for use anymore, as any improper drop or mishandling could shatter the rest of it.

I'm wondering what you would do if you had this pipe and wanted to restore its functionality. It's a really nice looking pipe and I'd love to be able to use it. Would you fix it? Would it be worth the trouble of replacing the broken material? What sort of material is this? Should I be able to find other pipe material to replace it with?

I had the idea of just removing the rest of the red plastic and searching around hardware stores for similar pipes with matching threading. Giving up on replacing it, I could just fix it with epoxy and tape. It'd be a total botch job however and it wouldn't look very nice. I'm just looking for advice.

Its diameter is 1.5cm and it is .25cm thick. It's 7.4cm long.

Here's some photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i'd say its time to upgrade..maybe keep it as a decoration/memento, but you don't want to be inhaling superglue or whatever you would fix it with.

3. Looks like a normal old pipe. Just use it as a nice center piece.