Rep. Brian Bilbray can spot an undocumented immigrant by their shoes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dickie4:20, Apr 22, 2010.

1. You do? Then why are you so uptight about this new bill in AZ

2. I believe I said 'way to hand those civil liberties away', which is what you're doing, and then fabricated a comparison to show the absurdity of the concept. I'm not uptight about it.

I see the logic behind the concept, I just disagree with the ideology.

3. Your boycott is going nowhere fast: Let's consider the following from Legal Insurrection.
    So far the only people seeming to boycott Arizona are the illegals, who are packing up and leaving. Which is a good thing.

4. Yeah but you don't live in AZ and I do. I'm happy with the direction my home state is moving. The fact that people are so appalled that one state is acting within their own power to govern and police themselves leaves me a little confused.

No one is complaining about California choosing to "ignore" federal laws against MJ.

5. what we'll end up with is a federal law that will be written for all 50 states, even though the problem is in 5 or 6

6. Im now going to go through one claim by supporters of this bill, the argument that the new law just adds a state penalty to what was already a federal fine - failure to carry proof of your immigration status.

And yes, the federal law does require foreign nationals to carry registration documents with them, supporters of this law fail to point out that this law punishes people much more harshly than the federal law. Under this law, failure to carry a registration card leads to a prison sentence of six months for a first offense and a $500 fine with substantial enhancements for repeat offenders. However, under the federal law failure to carry a registration document results in up to 30 days in jail and a $100 fine.

This law might sound like a good way to get tough on undocumented immigrants, but then consider what would qualify as a crime. A mom who rushes to Rite-Aid to get her son with strep throat his perscription but who forgets her green card at home is now exposed to a costly fine and jail time, because she forgot a document.

Also, the federal immigration law gives a myriad of registration forms that can show lawful immigration status like inspection records, arrival-departure records, and crewmans landing permits, etc.

The registration provision in this law places the responsibility on local police to decide whether a particular document is one prescribed by federal law. Putting inn federal registration law into Arizona state law was a mistake that will more than likely lead to abuse and chaos.

7. Wow, its seems like things are getting crazier in Arizona day by day. Today, the Wall St. Journal reports that the Arizona Dept. of Education "recently began telling school districts that teachers whose spoken English it deems to be heavily accented or ungrammatical must be removed from classes for students still learning English".

Also yesterday the Arizona legislature passed a bill which outlaws ethnic studies programs.

And today on Fox, Gov. Brewer said, "Arizona has been, uhh...under terrorists attacks, if you will"

"Do you think that these folks who are all noticeably outside of your state, the ones that I just ticked off, including the President, have an appreciation, governor, for what Arizona has been going through with respect to illegal immigration?"

"Obviously not. You know Arizona has been, uhh...under terrorist attacks, if you will, with all of this illegal immigration that has been taking place on our very, very porous border.

8. Arizona has been under terrorist attack.

Ever heard of Narco-terrorists? They're killing left and right in Mexico and in Arizona.

Phoenix has the 2nd highest kidnapping rate in the world. In the world.

Banning ethnic studies programs is a good thing, btw.

9. A terrorist attack? Are you joking? She never said anything about violent drug cartels. Just about immigration.

And for Phoneix having the second highest kidnapping rate,what year was that? How many years is that city on the list? Any links, sources?

And how is banning ethnic studies in schools a good thing? How is teaching about Cesar Chavez leading nonviolent moments with farmworkers, a bad thing?

10. Right, can't be mucking up students' brains with history, can we? We should teach them useful things, like how the slaves volunteered to come over and work on plantations for the generous Southern employers ;)

11. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-OuKzZbbSE]YouTube - Rep. Poe Compares Immigrants To Grasshoppers[/ame]

Texas must be proud.