Rep. Barney Frank introduces bill to decriminalize marijuana!!! :)

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by amsterdamage, Apr 18, 2008.

1. We knew it was coming and today he did it!
    Rep. Frank introduced his "Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008" bill to Congress today. :hello:

Thirty six years after the Shafer Commission recommended that marijuana be decriminalized, Frank is trying to see its recommendations fulfilled.
    I really hope he's successful!!!

Actually there are two bills: H.R. 5842, the “Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act” and H.R. 5843, the "The Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008". http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/nancyharris/gGCxgj/commentary

http://www.house.gov/frank/marijuana041708.html

2. whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

3. i wouldnt hold your breath.

4. ^ yeah I'm realistic man, but now the bill's out there it's up to us to contact our representatives and senators and tell them politely but clearly that we want them to vote this bill in.

We're going to see this story in the news sites real soon, and almost all of them allow you to post comments, so there's a great chance to write a comment that'll convince other readers that this is a great thing and that they also should call their congressmen and tell them to vote it in.

Norml and Rep Frank have done a great job getting it out there, now we have to get the general public to support it!

5. well its obvious when its up to us americans, we favour such legislation.

if passed, its pretty much de facto legal but not really. its actually clevel legislation because the onus is on state governments, not feds, to enforce or create legislation prohibiting or allowing cannabis. so basically, if its below this limit set in the bill, its a state issue. go above and its a felony. everyone wins, everyone is happy, and the DEA can still arrest those pesky (big time) pot dealers, while joe shmoe might or might not win or lose.

6. Please god, let this pass.....

7. Not only do we need to write to our congressman, we need to give NORML lots and lots of money. If we can all just make a 10 dollar donation it will make a huge difference. Unfortunately the companies keeping the ganja illegal (alcohol, tobacco, pharmaceutical, HMOs, DuPont, every other major corporation that supplies paper, wood, and anything else that hemp can substitute) have LOTS and lots of money to keep it illegal. This is not the land where the power is in the people's hands. This is the land where the power is in the hands of the people with money.

I hate to say it but these guys have shitloads of money. Most healthcare companies and pharmaceutical companies have 20 times the lobbyists we have for cannabis decriminalization. We don't stand much of a chance until we start donating some money. Especially the healthcare companbbgies; those guys are monsters that will stop at nothing to make sure that the plant is completely erradicated from the country.