Removing the Confederate Flag

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Vicious, Jun 23, 2015.

1. #101 ICGreen, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
    It is the State that is making the decision. National opinion should not be suppressed, but ultimately it is the State's decision.
    Uh, Doc, Look up the central tenant of the Confederacy, it was for (initially 7 States) to secede from the Union, for conflicts on the views of slavery. That seems pretty divisive to me.
    Hand over what ever you're token on Blade. [​IMG]

2. I hate PC bullshit. But this...I am for removing it. It isn't a matter of celebrating culture. An entire race of people feel that this is a symbol of systematic oppression. And it is a symbol used by the Aryan brotherhood, so how much legitimacy can this symbol really have as far as history is concerned?

I think an individual should absolutely be allowed to fly a confederate flag if they want. I hate suppression of free speech. Bit a state capital? That's completely different.

I just don't see any positives to keeping this flag flying at a state level.

3. #103 camtheman, Jun 25, 2015
    Man my Facebook feed is blowing up with this shit, partly because I live down south but come on guys we have better stuff to worry about. Fuck both them flags

4. ^ Yes, and the bottom one also represents Washington's official government policy after the "Civil" War to send troops to commit genocide on the American Indians.

5. #107 BYOweed, Jun 25, 2015
    You're grabbing for any argument you can. The civil war represented the confederate states, the confederate states who wanted slavery, they turned against the rest of the country over it along with other reasons. Why would you have any pride for the people who fought to keep slavery.
    No, the US now is not innocent. But that is a whole other argument. THE CIVIL WAR IS OVER.

6. #108 Mid man, Jun 25, 2015
    ... I live in Carroll County Georgia i'm 5 minutes from the border of Alabama I know how folks are in the south lol.

Jesus freaks are extremely common.
    Gun carriers are very common
    Racists are somewhat common
    Confederate flag wavers are uncommon

But I'm yet to find a large group of people that are all 4 lol, it's just hard

7. It was about much more than slavery.

Why was it okay for the colonies to secede (violently, I might add) from Britain -- their ruler -- but any of the states that were then formed cannot secede from THEIR ruler?

The Constitution was ratified by the states -- it was a creation of the states -- who joined the union voluntarily. What, is it like the Mafia -- you can get in but never get out? According to the Constitution itself, the states were to be sovereign.

8. It's this simple. If the confederate states won there would be slavery. But they didn't luckily. Now get over it. Fly any flag you want, but at least acknowledge your ignorance while doing so.

9. I lived in South Carolina, Atlanta and New Orleans for many years and that's how it seemed to me, too. Lots of Jesus Freaks, lots of gun-Carriers. Not so much stars and bars wavers.

I found the racism in the south wasn't much more broad based than racism anywhere else here but I did find that the racists were nastier and more virulent in the south. And I got that from both blacks and whites since I am too brown for white racists and too white for black racists.

The confederate flag, however, wasn't any significant issue there.

10. Neutral states were allowed to keep and own slaves during the civil war and after the emancipation proclamation

The neutral states didn't leave the union, but they owned slaves and and kept them after the North told the south the free them...

So they were slave owning states waving the stars and stripes...

11. Please re read what you quoted.

My question, would you have wanted the confederate to win?

12. I know you're young and a result of government schooling, but try to stay on subject.

The point I was following was the right for ANY political entity to secede. Read some history. Start with the Declaration of Independence, especially the part where it says something about the right to abolish an abusive government.

13. Watched this yesterday. Thought it was interesting.

14. Me stay on topic? ha.

Simple question, would you have wanted the confederate to win? Yes or no?

15. #117 -13 Amp-, Jun 25, 2015

You make it out that the south only had slaves and that's all they were about so if they won nothing else could have ended slavery...slaves were owned on both sides before and during the civil war, but you can keep ignoring that...

Its just a bunch of speculation on your part since both sides held slaves and slavery has ended in other coutries in many different ways...

Technology alone would have helped end it since their labor is replaced by machines

16. Also you didn't ask a question in my quote, you made a statement based on speculation

You point blank said if the south won wed still have slaves

17. Awesome I am glad I won't have to look at that racist flag of traitors anymore.

18. The civil war is over. I don't understand why it is so important to keep this flag raised. If it is so important, then go ahead. I give up debating in this thread.