Removing stuck/broken downstem

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by 420Frost, Apr 28, 2013.

1. So I forgot my bong in my trunk for a couple weeks and I pull it out to find the a piece of the edge of the downstem broken and almost feels like it's been glued in there. I've tried running cold and hot water on different parts to try to get them to separate but it didn't work so well (I ended up snapping a little more of the glass off). If anyone has an idea of what I can do it will be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Okay. I got you on this!

Hot/cold wont do the trick, this happened to me awhile back. So I went to my favorite head shop and told the girl working the counter my problem and she instantly knew what was up! And it worked like a charm.

So,
    Step 1: You are going to make sure the pipe is empty of water.

Step 2: Hold the pipe so that the joint(part the downstem goes into) is facing to the ground, so that the broken downstem will fall out on its own cleanly as it is no longer a downstem worth keeping.

Step 3: Moderately gently tap with your finger around the joint. This will loosen the downstem from the joint from the gentle vibrations of your tapping.

Step 4: Be amazed that it was actually soo easy to get it out.

Let me know if it worked out for you! :D

3. use a coat hanger
    medal ofcorse
    straighten it and put a hook at the end
    put it all the way down the downstem 
    pull that bitch out

• Like Like x 1
    Listen to this guy, jamming a coat hook in it is just going to break your bong more.

No worries, I am pretty sure it's hard to find a "medal" coat hanger. 

Really though. Work with the tapping trick, this way the "medal" from the coat hanger does not scratch the glass in your bong and damage the remaining strength of the glass even further.

6. I had this exact problem, accidentally knocked over my girlfriend's bong and the bowl broke clean off, with the down stem broken off inside the joint. The glass-on-glass was so tight it seemed fused; thought I had ruined the whole thing. The tapping method did not work, inserting/twisting paper towel and cloth did not work.

HOWEVER, what did work was when I drowned the joint in rubbing alcohol and let it sit for a while. Then I used a turkey thermometer end (pointy metal thing, similar to the coat hanger idea), and used that to push upwards on the broken down stem from it's bottom edge inside the joint. I wasn't pushing too hard, just repeatedly pushing with moderate force to keep the joint from breaking. After some coaxing, it came right out. Beware, the glass may come popping out with some force once loosened by the alcohol soak.

7. Worked like a charm! Cheers!

8. Some people put a metal screen to cover holes

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. its glass, put it in the oven and put ice in your stem, if it doesnt come loose, it will crack loose :D

10. Get a wooden drumstick, soak it in water and and then push the tip of the stick as far into the stem as possible. Let it dry, and you should be able to pull the stem out with the drumstick. You could use a wooden dowel too, but would need to shave one end into a point.

11. I just did what it said above but I used a wooden cooking spoon and after not even 5 minutes it dried and I popped it right out worked like a gem

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amazing idea saved my cheech thank you!!

• Like Like x 1