Removing fan leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by lamont2468, Jan 4, 2012.

1. How many weeks into flower do u guys remove all the big fan leaves so the colas can get 100% light?

2. after harvest.

I don't remove fan leaves unless they fall off.

3. I take off all the fan leaves and clean out under my scrog everyday.. Normally I have it all cleaned up around day 35 flowering.... But if there are some that need to still be removed then I will as needed.

Bottom line-- if you aren't defoliating while growing indoors, you are giving up harvest bud weight for leaves... Seem like such a waste to me.

4. I've harvesting this weekend and only removed the ones that were blocking light from the buds. But I've been looking at some journals and some have all the big fan leaves removed by week 4. I guess I was wondering if it slows growth or stresses the plant any?

5. some folks are dead set aginst the removal of any fan leaves...i believe its sometimes mandatory...once you've learnd the purpose of the leaves(collect&store energy&nutes)..with that being said..you strategically remove 1-3 fan leaves per plant for light penitration wont hurt...some grow methods requior it...so how bad can it be...lolly popping,LST,scrog grows, all requior some removal of leaves if grow in confined area....in my 5x5x7 tent, 14 plants...i had to remove a few...like i said..to remove 1-3 per plant..wont hurt a thing...

6. [quote name='"buddogmutt"']some folks are dead set aginst the removal of any fan leaves...i believe its sometimes mandatory...once you've learnd the purpose of the leaves(collect&store energy&nutes)..with that being said..you strategically remove 1-3 fan leaves per plant for light penitration wont hurt...some grow methods requior it...so how bad can it be...lolly popping,LST,scrog grows, all requior some removal of leaves if grow in confined area....in my 5x5x7 tent, 14 plants...i had to remove a few...like i said..to remove 1-3 per plant..wont hurt a thing...[/quote]

That's wut I was doin 1-3 leaves a plant but I would think more light on the buds would equal bigger buds

7. yes you're right...but at the end of 12/12 just b4 harvest the plant will pull from those leaves...so just dont over do it....and you've done 1-3 per plant..no prob...enjoy your grow!!!

8. [quote name='"buddogmutt"']yes you're right...but at the end of 12/12 just b4 harvest the plant will pull from those leaves...so just dont over do it....and you've done 1-3 per plant..no prob...enjoy your grow!!![/quote]

I haven't had any problems losing harvest weight because I defoliated. I always take handfuls and handfuls of leaves off at a time too. A good rule of thumb is not to prune more than 1/3 of the plant at one time and even that rule is sometimes broken when I'm taking a lot of clones at once.

9. I'm in my last week of flowering and I just removed them all so i was hoping I could add some more weight on. I guess it's wait and see

10. i totally agree....not all plants are as resiliant to stress as some others are...so to be safe and until ive learned a particular strain...i do as little as possible....but i do do it....and as you stated...ive had no probs....

11. You just now took all the fan leaves off in the last week of flowering? Not exactly what I was saying bro... It has to be gradual for sure.

Got any pics?

12. give a wk 1/2 - 2wks...plant has to heal from trimming (wk1)..then show the benifit(end of wk2)..if any....good luck!!!

13. Through out flowering I gradually took them off and this week i removed all the rest. Couldn't have been more than 4-7 left on each plant so it's not like overkill. Don't have any pics but I'll get some up ASAP

14. on my/our first 3 grows we took them off, this time on half of the plants i have tucked the fan leafs into the next lower branch at the main stalk, not much difference to the plant next to it but i think the tucked plants have more tighter buds and look better overall.
    Middy

15. [quote name='"MIDLIFE"']on my/our first 3 grows we took them off, this time on half of the plants i have tucked the fan leafs into the next lower branch at the main stalk, not much difference to the plant next to it but i think the tucked plants have more tighter buds and look better overall.
    Middy[/quote]

Wut strain did u grow and did u grow that same strain ur first 3 grows?

16. #17 bird seed, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
    i took 4 fan leaves off and in 4th week of flower. they were really nute burnt with a giant claw and blocking the bud sites underneath.

17. nute block!???

18. Its a good way to get your plants to go hermie and reduce photosynthesis. Tuck your fan leaves if necessary, dont remove them.