Removing duct tape from a supercrop gone wrong

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Foxymel, Aug 4, 2019.

1. This is actually my second time growing but first time supercropping on purpose. I broke the stem and it’s never had any issues. Now that it’s in flowering it’s blocking the bud stacking and it’s a main cola. Duct tape is really sticky and hard to take off. Probably should have used a different kind of tape. Any advice on how to take this tape off without breaking the stem?

40EF2B65-6B03-4FA8-AA8B-171F5FFBB854.jpeg

2. Exacto knife and a steady hand

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I don't think it will hurt if you leave it. I rarely remove tape before harvest. It's plenty flexable for the plant to grow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I’m more concerned when the buds start stacking that it will hurt yields. It’s the biggest cola I have and the buds are starting to stack. Maybe considering the amount of damage the stem got when I broke it, it will be able to heal if I damage it again taking the tape off? I did this when she was still in veg. Now It’s in the second week of flowering. Oh, and it’s an auto.

5. ... maybe; 'don't ask for trouble'.

6. Just leave it

7. Damn. I should have just left it. I split the stem. Not sure if it will recover but I learned a couple of lessons. One, don’t use duct tape. Two, if you do, litfa. :)

8. That's too bad.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well somehow it’s doing great! And that’s my biggest cola. These MJ plants are very forgiving! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. You didn't hurt anything. Good to go. Like it never happened.

• Like Like x 1
  11. And it taught me a couple of things. Don’t use duct tape on plants!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Why did you wrap the stem in tape? That's not supercropping. Supercropping is when you squeeze the stem in a few directions softening it so you can flop the leader over horizontally without it snapping. You don't use tape when doing it because could cause an infection, you're better off leaving it open so it can stay dry

13. Because the stem broke almost entirely off. And it was a main branch. I’ve read so many times that you can tape them. I think the stem was too strong and thick for supercropping. I supercropped a few smaller branches with no breaking and it was easy to soften and then bend them. But if I hadn’t taped it it would have fallen off.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Maybe you should have used wooden skewers for splint and put a skinny strip of tape at each end. ????

It was probably healed in a week or two at most. It may have been easier to remove the tape then maybe.

Or, you coulda tried your luck at cloning.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ahh right. Yeah the tape could just stay, there won't be any need to remove it. When supercropping you should pinch in more directions over and over until it flops over with it's own weight, if you need to push it over, you haven't crushed the stem enough

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. I tried that but it was very woody and hard to crush the stem. I’m glad I don’t need/want to do any more this grow.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I have pinched it with the pliers before. Not hard enough to mash it in two. Just go at it gently.
    You're really supposed to do this before it gets hard like that. Or at least move up to where the newer growth is.
    Probably better for the plant, too.
    Oh well. All's good now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. I start early when the plant is small. I'll pinch everything, then in about one or two weeks I'll go around and look for new growth to pinch. Another week or two I'll walk around looking for new growth to pinch. I'll do this kind of randomly all through veg, then stop when I think it's going to flower soon.

• Like Like x 1