Remote Smoke Detector DIY

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Don Piano, Jan 29, 2009.

1. All growers have the need for a smoke detector near their grow, if not in their grow. It is just plain safety!
    Well, what about the people who have their rooms sealed, or cab in the attic?
    Are you really going to hear that smoke detector when it has to be contained in an area that you are not??
    Nope. And at $10, who can over look spending that on DIY peace of mind?

So, I decided to make a smoke detector that can have a sensor mounted in the cab (or in my case, in the attic where my cab is) and have the alarm mounted in the living area so you can hear it, and it looks like a normal smoke detector.

I dismantled a smoke detector and found that alot of soldering would need to be done to make it work. So using the Kiddey $5 smoke detector is the best I have found. Buy 2, it makes things look better for the exterior mounted unit.

here goes the DIY...

2. Here is what we are working with. Get the same brand, because others do not have a wired speaker/alarm, they are soldered. We need the wired ones to do this right, and easily.

Attached Files:

3. First start by opening these things up.. There are a 3 piece lock design that need a small flathead screwdriver. there are 3 of these, of which one is covered by the sticker.

Attached Files:

• smk3.JPG
      smk3.JPG
      File size:
      343.3 KB
      Views:
  4. heres the guts. Cut the wires circled on both units, leave the speaker wires longer on one, and the wires going to the speaker longer on the other, for ease of connection later.

Attached Files:

5. #5 Don Piano, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
    The one you cut the wires close to the speaker, bust the speaker out of the unit, you don't need it.

Attached Files:

• smk6.JPG
      smk6.JPG
      File size:
      360.4 KB
      Views:
  6. your the man Don Piano. always a big overlooked aspect of growing. my guess would be that 99% of growers on this forum, and maybe even in general, do not have smoke detection in or around their area.

7. The one that you did not bust the speaker out of, you can bust the guts out of and just leave the speaker.

Attached Files:

• smk8.JPG
      smk8.JPG
      File size:
      336.1 KB
      Views:

8. Exactly

9. So now you have a unit that has a speaker with long wires, and unit that has the guts and long wires for a speaker to attach to. This hole in the rear of the unit with the speaker in it, is great for running the wires out of. do it. take your long wire (however long you need) and attach it to the speaker, run it out the hole and snap the halves back together again.

I use the hole where the speaker used to be in the other unit, to run my wire out of IT, from the guts/sensor. This is the unit that will hang in or like I said before near my grow. Just run the wires through the wall and connect both together. Now you have a remote smoke detector. see pics of the finished product in my thread in my signature.

Attached Files: