Religious response to Epicurus quote?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by mrblonde77, Aug 11, 2007.

1. It seems like the God you believe in is just the awe that humans are so complex. Just grasp the fact that we're the product of billions of years of evolution and throw the god label out the window, please. Thanks.

2. How bout no Scott?

How bout no? :D

3. It doesn't matter what It Is my own belief and It doesn't have to be logical, It's my own damn belief.

What about them? I don't get your argument...

what? :confused:

Cm'on now are you really going to attempt to argue the incorporeal non-quantifiable essence or energy that doesn't have physical boundaries that is well known to be existent? Whether theology based or not are you really going to argue against a force of inner consciousness within all individuals that can't be physically measured?

Honestly are you guys trying to be arrogant and egotystical? debating you two is like debating a wikipedia page. You need to open your eyes and realize that no matter how "logical" your argument seems to yourself you can't always convince someone with material 'proof'. Not every thing can be physically presented. This isn't politics, It's philosophy. We're discussing metaphysics here.

For a greater purpose, but then again who really knows other than God?

The idea of God isn't something that can be presented by demonstration, chart, or calculation. It is an inner consciousness acceptance that we are significant beings with potential beyond measure and that there's more to life than meets the eye. That we were created and for a reason, and not just spawned out of an unknown nature.

“We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.”

“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world”

~ C.S. Lewis​

“God thinks within geniuses, dreams within poets, and sleeps within the rest of us”

~ Peter Antenberg​

“Prayer is when you talk to God; meditation is when you listen to God.”

~ Diana Robinson​

That helps explain our adaptation, but in no way disproves the idea of a God or better determines the commencement of our existence. Thanks.

4. OUCH! This is why I despise religion.

Apply them to the four things Epicurus stated.
    Is god willing to prevent natural disasters, but not able to? Then he isn't all powerful.
    Is he able to prevent them, but not willing to? Then he's a fucking asshole!
    Is he able to prevent them, AND willing to prevent them? Then why the fuck doesn't he prevent them?
    Is he neither able to prevent them, nor willing to prevent them? Then why the hell do you praise him like a sheep?
    Q.E.D.

Why yes of course I am! Also I'd like to know how you came to the conclusion that it is "well known to be existent". Feel free to provide any sort of proof of this soul thing.

No, I'm just trying to get more people in this world to act on logic and reasoning instead of random ideas that cannot be explained coherently or intelligently.

Hm....never tried that, but it does sound fun.

Well then we should strive for material (mathematical, scientific) proof for those concepts that do not have it. We shouldn't be content and accept the fact that no proof can ever be given for an idea AND then go on believing in that idea. It's just stupid to be honest.

We have no purpose and god doesn't exist.

We weren't just spawned out of an unknown nature. We are the product of billions of years of evolution. We're machines of physics. We're learning more and more about the "unknown nature" everyday so I wouldn't exactly classify it as "unknown". There are some parts that remain unknown currently, but for how long? Definitely not infinitely long.

5. I do not mean to sound egotistical or arrogant but, if my belief was that I could fly, would I be encouraged to jump off a building? Belief is great, and everyone is of course entitled to theirs, but we have a logical mind for a reason. It is to help us make sense of, and survive in, this universe we find ourselves in. Logic and reason are of paramount importance.

Well known to be existent? How is it known to exist?

My heart can be measured, so can my brain, so can every other part of me... Suddenly there is some mystical ghost that lives inside my body that is invisible to us, but yet, we know for sure it exists? Explain that please.

How do you know this?

Just because someone said something at some point does not make them right.