Religious = Low self esteem?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by fuckthecops, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Sup GC. I went to church as a kid and now I rarely go anymore. I don't believe in god, but my mom does so she makes me go sometimes. Anyway, I had to go for midnight service on new years and people were testifying about the year 2011. This guy stands up, around mid 20s I would guess, and starts thanking god for getting him into grad school. Then this other lady, older probably 40s, stands up and thanks god for her good grades in grad school and for getting her through grad school with absolutely no debt.

This shit got me thinking, do these people just have low self esteem? I mean, you get into grad school because you did well in undergrad school! Because you studied your ass off! Not because you went to church every Sunday. And getting through school without debt? Financial aid and discipline by saving up your money!

Not convincing enough? Think about born again Christians. How many of them found God when they were at their best? The majority of Born Agains (at least all the stories I've heard) were in the lowest of the low when they found God. Is it just that they need some being to depend on because they have such little self worth? Because they can't find it in themselves to bring themselves up, they go to church and look up to God. They think he is helping them through tough times, when really all along, they just had to look inside for the solution. Then when they get themselves better, its all thanks to God! God is good! God is great! #gimmeabreak

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYzlVDlE72w[/ame]

2. #2 xpixiex, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
    Wow, I've never actually thought of that... But now that you mention it I have read it in a book or something.

It was saying weak people turn to God. Kind of sounds a lot more dickish than low self esteem lol.

But yeah dude I'd say that those kind of people are attracted to religion. My aunt is going back to school. She will probably thank God, literally for "letting" her pass school. Or helping her get good grades.

3. low esteem does cause masochists and sadists. >.> :bongin:

4. As with anything else, religion attracts the weak and the low in self esteem.

Does that mean all religious people are weak, or lack self esteem? No.

5. True. I didn't mean all religious people, but I meant more in general. I think its a trend.

6. I don't think this is the case for the majority of religious people. Most were just indoctrinated into their belief system and they were taught to give credit to god.

7. I don't know. I mean its one thing to say: thank you for presenting the opportunity. Like if you were unemployed and you got a job. Wouldn't it make more sense to thank God for leading you to the job application? He didn't have anything to do with them hiring you, that's all on you!

But I guess its pointless to try to think of this logically...

8. Eh, I'm not sure that you can call people coming to religion in times of need a weakness.

That's like saying the woman who goes to the doctor for her skin cancer is weak. We all have modes of coping, and for some people religion/spirituality is a great coping mechanism. Nothing wrong with that. To deny that religion can cause a wonderful change in people is just like denying that religion can likewise cause harm to many people.

9. 1. Yes she is weak, she has cancer lol. But in all seriousness, that's not really the same thing, but I'm not gonna argue on this point.

2. No I'm definitely not denying that! I'm just trying to figure out why they thank God for things that ONLY THEY have the power to do. Free will right? You could have either gone to the library to study or you could have done something else, but YOU made the choice to study. That's why you got the good grades! Not because God made you study!

10. Eh, it's just what they're taught to believe (thank god / give credit to god for all goodness that happens in your life...), but I don't think it affects their self-esteem.

11. I like it. Explains a few "cases" I've seen. I agree with the indoctrination bit as well. Most humans never look inward, and learn to learn, and see.

It is almost impossible for the common man to actually question what they've been taught as universal truth.

Ever have a history argument with someone less well-read than you?

12. Some of the biggest born again holy rollers I know were the worst parents, barflies and sluts you could imagine until the grief and guilt caught up with them....whatever it takes I suppose...