Religious Freedom Acts in various states

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Alexia, Apr 5, 2015.

1. so, lets look at this idea. States that have some form of RFRA or another...in theory... may allow sacramental use of cannabis.

so, lets discuss!

I know thanks to the news that at least Indiana and Arkansas have nice new RFRAs, and based on "as written" and the stated intents of those laws, it seems that as long as its truly private and personal then it would be a violation to prosecute. That whole "compelling state interest" thing. The issue is if the states choose to go with a CSI clause that is based AFTER...I think its 1993... prior to around that time the laws were supposed to favor the citizen over the state.

chop chop, c'mon blades! what state are you from, and does it have an RFRA of some kind? does the text seem to imply an acceptance for canna-churches n Rastafari?

2. doing a little bit of research and it seems that this has only worked in a few cases for Rastas and even then it was only allowed in limited situations in certain settings...

Some dude is trying it now in Indiana, a Church of Cannabis, so we'll see what happens, it'll most likely get shut down...

"Defendants claimed they used marijuana for religious purposes, but judges by and large didn't buy it. One court told a defendant that his "professed beliefs have an ad hoc quality that neatly justif[ies] his desire to smoke marijuana." Other courts weren't as blunt, but they generally discarded non-Rastafarian religious beliefs as phony."

(ad hoc means arranged or formed for a particular purpose)

3. There is a guy in Indiana that has a gofundme account that is trying to start the church of cannabis.
    I belive when they revised it this last week they didnt allow it.