Religion. Your views.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Skrimpbootch, May 25, 2010.

1. Exactly. While energy cannot be destroyed, it is the special way in which this energy interacts with our brain that allows us to enjoy a consciousness. Once blood stops pumping to the brain, and it shuts down, this energy will not interact with our brains in the same way.

Not all energy is conscious. Just because our brains require energy (as does anything that is going to be moving, or requires work to be done) does not mean that this energy is the secret to consciousness, or somehow is what solely forms consciousness. If it was true that only energy was needed to produce consciousness, then I doubt that animals would have come to evolve brains.

Just think of it like a computer: a computer without electricity is just circuits and metal. Electricity without the computer is just normal energy. It is the marriage of the two that allows a computer to actually perform it's proper function.....

2. #122 SmokeeTheBear, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010

I agree for the most part, but how is the body able to produce this energy? Where does it come from? An egg and a sperm are just able to come together and form a being that operates on electrical signals produced by it's own body and for everything to function perfectly?

The computer didn't just happen by chance. It is designed by man. It is infinitely less complex and inferior to the most basic functions of our own brains. Do you think this perfect marriage just happened from bacteria "evolving"? That there was no design in mind. Even if you believe in evolution, that doesn't mean there can't be a greater intelligence that designed it. Everything evolves, there's no doubt about that. But do we truly evolve solely for our species survival? Certainly it improves a species chances, but many evolutions serve no practical purpose. Also, how would evolution explain homosexuality? or hate for your fellow man? I think there are more things at work in this world than just the "nature" we're currently aware of. There always has been. Throughout history civilization has thought it was at the peak of its existence. And 1,000 years later we're looking back in awe of how people were even able to live back then. Do you like so many others before you again think we are at the pinacle of science? We're just now scraping the surface. Are you familiar with Quantum physics? Atoms sometimes literally disappear out of existence, the are converted to "pure energy" and cease to exist in the material world. I believe this pure energy to be what powers us, what gives us (and all animals, although they have a less developed form of this energy) life.

Source(s):

Atoms, the basic building block of matter, have long thought to be indestructable. But in the last 100 years it has been shown that this is not the case. Conservation of Mass

There is a theory in chemistry that says matter can neither be created or destroyed. But with the advent of Albert Einstein's theories, we know this not to be true.

Einstein

Einstein has a famous theory that matter can be converted directly to energy. The theory states that energy = mass times the speed of light squared, or E=MC^2.

Matter to Energy

If matter can be converted directly to energy that means that atoms can indeed disappear. They can disappear into pure energy.

When?

When does this take place? It generally only happens in the case of fission or fusion, two very high-energy processes that deal with atomic structure rearrangement.

Other Instances

There are some cases in quantum mechanics in which atoms can spontaneously tunnel or even disappear. But the chances of this happening are generally extremely low.

You can read more at: E=mc2 Explained

3. The body does not produce this energy, it puts it to use.

Energy comes from our surroundings. We eat food, which has calories that our bodies then use to perform it's tasks. Plants take energy from the sun and some species of marine life take energy from the heat (energy) produced by gas vents at the bottom of the ocean.

Yes. This is the significance of DNA. It is through DNA coding that an organism may properly assemble itself.

Yes, it is perfectly plausible...

Because I believe and understand evolution, I am able to realize that in order for evolution to serve it's purpose there doesn't need to be a 'greater intelligence' to design it. Evolution itself is the 'designer'.

We do evolve for our species survival, but keep in mind that evolution is not a consciously guided process. It is more or less the other way around: our survival drives evolution, and evolution is a reflection of our survival.

Many evolutions do serve no practical purpose, I agree. If a species with an unwanted deformity or mutation procreates, then it's genetic code is passed down to the next generation. As simple as that. Evolution is no more a selective process than the mating habits of a certain species. If we only allowed people with mental illnesses to procreate, then the following generations of offspring would posses a similar genetic makeup. This is not because evolution somehow 'chose' or thought it would be nice to pass along these traits, but it is because these certain individuals were able to successfully see that their genetics made it to another generation.

And as far as making an argument that these traits somehow contradict or discredit evolution, take this into account: why would a 'greater intelligence' or designer desire or allow for these undesirable traits to occur in the first place, and then see it fit that they may be copied time and time again?

I think this observation would actually lend credibility to the evolution, not the other way around.

No, I do not. In fact, I think that we are part of the very beginning a technological revolution that will completely reshape our species way of life and understanding of reality.
    If anything, we are not towards the end of potential technological advancement (or slowly getting there), we are just now winding up the gears and turning the cranks that will put into motion a whole new age of technological achievements.

That is a perfectly fine belief, however these concepts are completely foreign to me so I can't really put together a retort that will satisfy you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HACkykFlIus]YouTube - The Secret Life of Chaos Part (1 - 6)[/ame]

This is a six-part series that explains some of the possible reasons for why life may exist the way it does, and how a designer is not necessarily required to produce complex (universal) patterns.

Watch it all at once, and try to keep in mind that it is not trying to push an agenda on it's viewer. I think that this video puts together some very valid points and it's premise is completely plausible....

4. I wasn't talking about energy in the form of calories, I was talking about the energy that gives us our individualism, the force, the "spirit".

The chances of this just happening by chance are so astromical is it any wonder that people choose to believe that something orchestrated it? That some force was guiding existence? It just seems to me like it all works a little too perfectly, trees producing foods that are specifically designed to help our immune system, or provide antioxidants for our body, etc etc. Does it not seem like the world was almost tailor made to suit it's inhabitants? I guess you could argue from the evolutionist stand point that instead we tailor-made ourselves for our environment, but that wouldn't have been possible without the perfect conditions necessary for such evolutions to occur.

"why would a 'greater intelligence' or designer desire or allow for these undesirable traits to occur in the first place, and then see it fit that they may be copied time and time again? "

Well if you look at it from Trismegustus' perspective then that is the purpose of our lives, to eliminate these "undesirable" traits, for us (our spirits) to see the bigger picture, to understand how the universe operates. (which would take an unimaginable amount of time). But in your opinion these personality disorders are just a result of our parents passing on undesirable genes.

I didn't take the time right now to watch the video's, but I will in the future, always looking to get more perspectives on things :D

5. I don't think we will really reach any common ground on this topic, simply due to the fact that we address these topics with completely incompatible approaches.

I think that it is astonishing that life exists on our planet, but given the size of the universe it isn't too remarkable that life must exist somewhere (and we happen to exist and are able to converse about it).

It does seem that the world was 'tailor made to suit it's inhabitants', but maybe that is not because someone (or something) or something designed it that way. Maybe anywhere that (intelligent) life exists it will seem that a planet was 'tailor made' to suit those organisms simply because in order for life to exist certain criteria must be met (and in order for intelligent life to exist further conditions must be fulfilled).

As far as 'spirit' goes, I believe it is formed in our minds. The methods in which our body carries out its biological processes can be explained very well by science. I believe it is only a matter of time before we will be able to sufficiently map-out the human brain well enough to be able to decipher where certain thought-processes and behaviors come about. Maybe belief in God, schizophrenia, and love may all simply be related to how our brain functions and the complex processes that occur within it.

Eliminating certain behaviors, I believe, is an important step for society to take. There are things like rape, murder, stealing, corruption, etc. that are not beneficial to society and are morally unacceptable. It is damaging to our existence. However, In terms of traits that are passed down biologically (If you 'believe' in evolution), these are not things which can merely be transcended by society condemning them and not repeating them in the future. The only way to truly halt the existence of these biological traits is to ensure that individuals carrying the genetic material necessary for these characteristics do not reproduce. That in itself raises certain moral dilemmas which I believe outweigh the original problem. As far as morally questionable behavior and actions/beliefs that are damaging to society concern me, then I must agree with you that it is an essential task for humanity to overcome these obstacles and better our species. I think that this is something which everyone should be able to agree on.

I do suggest you watch those videos, because they will answer your questions better than I ever could.

6. #126 ResearchIt, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    Well you are making the argument that individualism is something unique... Monkeys have a complex social structure and individual behavior as well. As for spirit I dont believe that exists. I believe that the combination between chemical energy we take in and various molecules we take in create what we call Conciousness. Like the computer analogy, after all we are just biological machines. Your "programing" is determined by information you obtain and teachings from your parents, and is responsible for the individualism. I am not so sure that our existance is such an astronomical chance, our race is in its infancy and we have yet to even visit another planet in our solar system. How can we calculate that being alive is so rare when we don't even know if other planets have life... DNA is the blue print by which we assemble ourselves, but it is by no means perfect (its pure hubris to say it is). Tons of mental and physcial disorders are genetic.

EDIT: To Smokee, all in good conversation :D

7. I dont think we know enough about the brain or DNA to determine whether these undesirable behaviors are passed down genetically. This brings up the whole Nature vs Nurture argument as well.

8. #128 *ColtClassic*, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    "Undesirable Traits" can be anything from Down's Syndrome to Hemophilia, if that clears things up.

Those things are genetically determined...

Edit: Oh, you said undesirable behaviors.

I think behavior is determined by all three factors: brain chemistry, upbringing, and environment. But I'm not an expert (or even close to it) on the matter. This is just what logically makes sense to me....

9. Either way we have a belief in something.
    I believe in just being open-minded. LEARNING.
    If I take everything in, thats when I can think about it from the most intelligent stand-point.

I'm personally against religions because there are so many of them. The fact that a christian can go to heaven based on his religion, but be a sinner, or go to hell in a different one makes no sense to me.

10. but thats the thing
    being "open-minded" means you have to open youre midn to the fact that their
    is a possability(that you could be wrong) no matter how illogical.

im a buddhist,
    i dont believe in god.
    but i do believe the best open minded form you can study with is to understand not only why god doesnt exist but also how he could.

you have to take the time to understand not only science but deep study of each religion.

religion in bulk is seen as bad but does carry some good morals(some)
    in the end i believe the only way to truely be open minded is to allow another to live thier life how they want to no matter how much it may bother you or grind against youre belief(as long as others are safe) because their are alot of christians who dont go around shoveing their beliefs down peoples throat and they dont approve of it either.

my belief is this put simply

those who spend all thier time argueing about god being real or not do not debate but only continue the circle of hate. they show that they need to prove the other side wrong.if someone does or doesnt believe thats fine, were all people in the end, with loves, hates, dreams, pains,losses.we can end hate simply by not partakeing.- Me

christians and people of religion are not all bad
    think about it if you go up to a church and say "gods not real"
    everyone their is gonna freak out,
    but when you spend further time their you will have a couple of people approach
    speak to you then say something along the lines of "im sorry i shall pray for you tonight"

to you it may seem insulting
    but that person has a kind enough hard that even if they believe in this they are going to take the time out of the day to pray and hope
    1.youre going to find god.
    and
    2.you wont burn in "their" hell

their takeing the time for a stranger they have just met who has assulted thier religion to pray to their god to "save youre soul"

dumb
    maybe
    kind
    in a strange way yes

peace love and good herb

11. what type of buddhist? original buddhism that formed in India does have religious beliefs about gods and reincarnation. Its kind of a branch off of hinduism, but instead of trying to improve your karma you try to free yourself from the Wheel of samasara. By freeing yourself of all your material desires you end suffering and escape the cycle of reincarnation.

12. #132 StoneyBologna15, May 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
    My intentions are not to offend any one on here who is religious because I respect your decision, it is your life, live it how you see fit. but now please allow me to express my opinion on the subject of organized religion.

I believe that organized religion is the main root cause of hatred and destruction in the world today. They have the majority of the world taking sides and believing that they will be the only ones who make it into heaven. Why can't we unite in peace and just live together in harmony. Although most religions are filled with ideas and morals that I believe everyone should follow, it is their idea of heaven and hell that has left the world in the state that it is today. Who are they to say who gets in to heaven and who goes to hell. They have no way of knowing for sure, but they spend all of their time attempting to convince people that if they don't join their side then they will be condemned to a life of eternal damnation.

I believe life is too short to waste time worrying about the afterlife and whether or not you've worshiped god enough to go to a happier place when you die. As long as you do good things and truly care about your fellow man and show kindness and compassion to all people then what should it matter if you believed in a certain religion. If there is a god out there then he'll know whether or not you lived your life positively and will make his decision that way. Organized religion is merely a means for people who are scared that they aren't a good person to go listen to a guy preach for an hour or so once a week and then feel all high and might because apparently they are now shoo ins for heaven. Just do good things when you can and try to be a caring and compassionate person and I believe that in the end it will all work out just fine.

13. I would say greed is the main root, and religion is its tool

14. Agreed...Greed definitely plays a huge part. It seems no one can be satisfied these days, they always want more

15. Capitalism has trained us well . . . :eek: