Religion. Your views.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Skrimpbootch, May 25, 2010.

1. younger than this country? typical american ignorance, im not a yankedoodle ok, and america is what, a few hundered years old or something, you tell me? the old man that lives across the street from me is older than YOUR country.

look, we are in 2010, i just find it hard to believe that people still believe in different gods, whether its an elephant with 20 legs or jesus christ with a beard, its all ridiculous to me. just the whole concept of it.

well done for having faith, but why not have that faith SILENTLY, pray before you go to bed, in your room or whatever , i dont care, but why do so many christians enforce there religion on us.

whatever, religion is an endless debate, we are never gonna agree, im right your wrong, im wrong your right.

2. why do christians assert the religion??

Is it for the money?

Is it for good feeling?

is it to just be annoying?

is it because it makes an excellent troll?

Why??

Because I'm commanded too...like those annoying jehovah's witnesses!! Except that we don't have a clerical caste and charge membership fees like them ahhah

Because if I can just get you to say "what is the point to life, why are we different from the millions of other species" then its a step in any direction. even if its backwards hahaha

I'm telling you man, it was a proven fact that the earth was flat, until it wasn't....Science is soooo unstable, changing every century. Who knows what will be the main religion 100 years from now?

In 3010, this will still happen, and we have a few metal telescopes and shiny objects made from our known periodic table and then those same scientists begin to guess how large the universe is and how its moving. Come on!!!

3. #43 junkyarddog, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
    Science is constantly evolving and improving. Religions were the ones denying that the earth was round when evidence was shown. Science admits its wrong when it finds out its wrong. Religion doesnt. I'd much rather take the instability of science over the dogma of religion.

4. Without organized religions asserting ethics, a lot of primitive cultures would just run amok.
    I quite like a lot of the larger organized religions, because I don't like anarchy.

That being said tho, I quite enjoy my religious freedoms in Australia, and exercise my freedom of choice to be a pagan.

I quite like the fact that ethics is now being taught in primary school in Australia, instead of an "all or nothing" approach to morals, where either you went to a public school (and got no ethics class's), or a private school (where you were indoctrinated into their chosen religion)

5. I am not trying to offend anyone with anything I say, even though it will.
    I feel like religion is slowing us from progressing as humans. It causes division between people and countries. It instills fear into us. It devoids people of accountability for their own actions. Instills hypocrisy in its followers. Its a money making machine. Its not always but often used by leaders as a means to enrich themselves. And a well organized religion limits free thinking.

I know those are only the bad things that I listed, but those far outweigh the good things!

Besides faith is just that, faith.
    I have faith in the flying spaghetti monster and I know hes in the sky right now watching over me as I type this message. Wow, I sound crazy..

6. I used the idea of sex a bit care free in my post, I have only had sex with one individual, whom I really felt I did love. My parents soon found out about this and I was put under some heavy fire from them for quite some time. The perspective on sexual intercourse before marriage is very broad and differs from house hold to house hold and even from religion to religion. I am Christian and I follow Christianity, therefore I did commit a sin. In my opinion, if God is a judgmental character as in the Bible, and I have indeed sinned against him, I do not believe he would cast me into Hell for such a sin. My church doesn't necessarily encourage it but my parents have told me that it would be tolerable if I were to have some sort of sexual play with my girlfriend, rather than to have sex. Some of my friends view sex as the reason fro relationships, I kind of go against that as in a relationship around sex is no relationship at all. If I find the girl I love and want to marry, and if she wants to wait till marriage to have sex, it would be fine by me.

7. #47 *ColtClassic*, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
    This is what bothers me about god.

How can something that is more complex than the simplest unit of matter create everything else?

Unless god is a single particle, I don't think it is too reasonable to believe that some arrangement of matter occurred which allowed itself to become aware and also (somehow, magically) exert limitless influence upon it's environment (in a way which would directly contradict easily observable and provable laws of the universe).

Even if god did somehow come about, surely the particles or pieces of matter that made 'It' must have existed first (even if only for the smallest possible amount of time), otherwise they would not have time to assemble themselves in such a way that made god more than a simple atom.

Or maybe that is it. Maybe god is just a particle. A universal particle with infinite capabilities for being expressed (string theory?)....

Or maybe our theories of god are a little bit out dated. It seems like at the time (thousands of years ago), our concept of god presented little reason for doubt. However, just as I have addressed in my post above, there are many reasons why the god equation just doesn't seem to make logical sense.

I'm not one to make leaps of faith, so I guess I will remain a weak-minded, immoral, god-less individual who will someday suffer a horrible death and burn in Hell for eternity...

8. I'm going live my life on my own terms. I will not follow the beliefs of people who lived MANY, many years ago in a world without science, advanced astronomy (I'm talking about stuff like the Hubble Space Telescope, not just your basic star gazing...). Another big problem I have with religion. EVERYTHING that represents gods and religions are ALL produced by humans. The bibles you read, churches for worship, the crosses hanging on you're wall. It's all made by humans! My point? Religions and gods are ALSO an idea made up by humans. I was thinking about something one day... If you were to stick a baby on a little unpopulated island, and give him what he needs to grow and live on his own, he wouldn't know a thing about religions and gods. He would probably come up with his own beliefs, eventually. So, what would happen to this dude on the island? How can he possibly learn about the real religions of our society? How could he worship and follow the real gods of our society? Would he be punished by god and burn in hell, because some cruel humans forced him on this island where he is unable to live the way humans do in the real world? Once again, everything that teaches and expands on religion is ALL produced by humans. Think about it.

9. you know its awesome to find out about another christian on grasscity. im a god chaser, i follow jesus and love my jesus christ and believe he died for my sins. im a strong christian and i do alot of bad things, i dont however have sex. i know this sounds bad but i do believe smoking cannabis is a sin. but i do it once and a while anyways.

10. it feels like im always talking to a wall....waitt...i am.

if anything im going to believe in myself, and find enlightenment so to speak. i dont need to go to some "meeting" and "worship" some "god".

i believe there is SOMETHING out there. spirits what have you, but shit man, obviously its all a mystery till we die. so who gives a fuck.

11. Props for being strong enough to resist the urge of being sexually active in today's society. In many ways I wish I could still have waited for more of a special person. About smoking cannabis, in what ways do you see it as a sin? I disobey my mother and father and basically lie, which are both sins which come off of smoking or hiding anything. But other than that, how do you see it?

12. i believe in logic and reasoning. religion contains none of this in my opinion. we as humans are so extremely insignificant, so infinitely small and meaningless that i believe we serve no purpose in the universe. why would a minuscule system of chemicals that have the ability to reproduce themselves be of any importance to the universe? what is so impossibly great about the chance of us existing? for all we know, time, the universe, existence could be infinite. in the greatness of the universe, life was bound to happen. then again, what would i know? im only human :smoke:

PS: dont even get me started on multiverses. (shudder)

13. Not bad, not bad at all. If I was a God that existed, I would not make only one inhabited planet for it to wallow in lonesome self existence. I would create many mysteries and many different species or realities. But then again if I was a God, I may make races of beings so that in their own existence, they would deny my power and only those who feel my power and believe may pass their first life.
    But that's just me trying to make sense of the World. I can see how many pagan or atheist arguments state how God is created by humans so that they may make sense of the World they live in. It may be all stories and fiction and lies. But call me an ignorant, blinded child, I do believe in God and accept Christianity.

14. Don't think that just because what you say won't affect my opinions that you are wasting your time and talking to a wall. I'd like to think of myself as a strong minded individual so you will not change my beliefs. This isn't a "I'm unsure if I am Christian or not so come and convince me which is right thread," this is me just seeing what other toker's opinions on religion are. I'm taking everyone's stance in, and even though none of it will affect my base opinion, it does make me think.

15. I like to compare stubborn theists with those who are against the ingestion of marijuana. Even though all the facts are against them, they still hold fast in their beliefs no matter the evidence that is brought up to them. Nothing will change their thinking and if you try it's just a waste of time.

I remember when I was an anti-drug theist... then I changed. You're only halfway there, and I'm sure you will get all the way there as time goes by. :wave:

16. Religion's pretty cool. For the most part. The exceptions tend to prove the rule.

BTW I hold the same view about laws. And people.

17. yeah.. thats weird they encouraged sexual play instead of sex. It's all the same, because you penetrate with your fingers instead of penis? Get to the heart of the matter: its only for one person, and hopefully you're going to marry that person and have already talked about marriage otherwise think about her potential huband and your potential wife when you both get married...not to scare you, just think.

He is judgemental because he is purely good, can we agree? However there is no sin that is unforgivable, but sin is such a weird thing!! After you have murder 101 children, its hard for you to admit that God DOES forgive you if you are truly repentant...The only unforgivable sin is dying, saying that God was a lie. aka, not believing after the time he gave you...

Any sin's punishment is eternal damnation man i hope you understand, but im glad that you believe that in christ your sins of no matter. think of him like a giant shield, or rock in which you are in so that when God looks at you, he see's the shield or rock and judges that. which is conveniently perfect hahahahah

i'm such a hypocrite since i'm sexually active and i battle it, but i wish somebody had typed this to me when i was in your position.

18. haha its okay HH, we are all hypocrites in one way or another.

19. Nahhh, I'm pretty sure that I will never be against drugs, marijuana specifically. I was raised in a coldasac with strictly straight edge kids. I always kind of went against that but respected their ideas and how they were not conforming to society by not smoking or doing drugs. I've been toking it up and experimenting for 5 years now, and i don't see that changing. Honestly I don't see how you can speak with such confidence about my future when you yourself folded upon your own beliefs?

20. In my beliefs and ethics, or morals, I was taught that suicide is basically the only unforgivable sin? And not believing and dying. And yeah, I'm a hypocrite myself. I say I'm a Christian yet I do such wrong. One day I'll probably look back at my adolescence and laugh about all the crazy things I did. I hold to more of a modern view on Christianity, although it may be incorrect, I believe that if one finds salvation within God at one point and time in their life, and have not committed too many treacherous sins, than they will be accepted by God and into heaven. He is judgmental, yet forgiving and loving.