Religion, your thoughts..

Discussion in 'General' started by Peaceful Rocker, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Originally I was a christian, just because I was raised that way. But in the last few years I slowly started converting into an athiest... I realized how unbelievable the idea that we have a "soul" that leaves your body after you die is retarted.. I've come to realize the reasons man created religion....
    1. To keep the world sane, without religion.. people have no reason not to just be complete assholes to everyone else, no reason to be a good person.
    2. Hope, for the thought of dying and there being nothing but darkness is far too terrifying for most peoples minds to grasp...

To conclude my little stoned religion speach, I believe we should all live doing what we want to do, and not let the thought of eternal suffering keep us from having a good time. :)

Maybe I just smoke way way too much, I am too high right now

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good post, but wrong forum... there's a religion and philosophy forum... this will probably be moved...

Edit... don't forget that the people who ran the religions also ran the country at the time... Religion was more important than kings back in the days, and they recieved 10% of everyone's wages, Land, exception from taxes, and power out the wazzo...

~ Terpsichore

3. I've been thinking that exact way too, it seems so right the way you put it. I can't really beleive, I can't grasp that there is a god he's never physically there... I guess it's just something you would have to beleive. +rep

4. yeah it just seems too far fetched to say that there is someone... somewhere that the living can never get to.. he's been there forever, wasen't born, will not die.. and he someone just pulled the entire universe out of his ass.

Why doesn't the bible ever mention other planets? The universe? Dinosoars? Because it was made up by man, and back then they didn't know about space or previous life forms.. if god really did tell them what to write you'd think he'd include that right?

5. you've got some valid points there, but u must realize there is nothing out there to prove or disprove either arguments whetjer there is or isnt God. All i kno religion does promote good will to each other, and variouse other stuff which i dnt really wanna get into. me myself, yea i believe in God but can understand and respect ur point of view. All i can say tho is that religion is used to commit some atrociouse (sp?) crimes like all this terrorism and stuff thats bin goin on the past 5 years or so, which makes me believe mayb its not all that great in the 1st place and just used for propaganda and other bullshit!!

6. I have always thought that some people just need relegion to have something to believe in, and to give them a sense of purpose.. But personally I think mass relegion is all bullshit, and shouldnt be nearly as ingraned into our (and everywhere else for that matter) culture as it is.

7. If I could choose any religion It would have to be rastafarien as they toke as part of their religion:D:smoke::smoke:

8. In case you haven't gotten prostletized by me yet, I'm a Pastafarian and damn proud of it!

Pre-FSM, I told people that "I'm more pagan than anything" but that doesn't exactly make me very pagan =P

I've spent some time looking at myself lately, and it turns out there's a group of people like me - I'm really a humanist. When it comes right down to it, I am concerned with the welfare of humankind, rather than the welfare of a God or gods. While my individual actions tend to serve me, I live an ethical life in the hopes of contributing positive things to the world around me, and I try my damndest to do it without negatively impacting others. The way I live my life isn't so different from any other (religious) persons - I'm just a 'good person' because I think the world and the people in it are worth it, instead of because someone told me to.

EDITED for clarity - sorry, I'm stoned =)

• Like Like x 1
  9. You just put into words what ive been struggling to for years.... thanks

10. while at the moment i find many things rediculous and unbeliveable in my catholic religion, i still generally accept the fact that there is jesus and god, hell and heaven and if i did die and was asked by jesus if i belive in him i would say it and mean it but at the same time i dont let my religion govern me nor do i attend church or talk about religion and often i will be the one making fun of it so i could care less if someone else insults it

however for whatever reason if i pray the roseary before i study for a test i would normally get a 80% on im like guarenteed a %94 or higher....mabey its just a placebo thing but w.e works

other then tests i generally dont pray at all(i only pray when im failing a class and i know im fucked on a test), dont think about it at all, do nothing religous or anything but i also concider myself a good person......i will generally do the daily good deed even if its as simple as lending a pen to the guy who i want to bash the face in of, and again any insults i tend to ignore to an extent...then i smash there face into a locker when there not looking and throw them across the hall into the other ones and square off until its broken up....that generally stops the person and there friends from saying shit

11. Personally I don't believe in any gods or higher powers.

I think that people like to believe that someone is in control. It gives them someone to ask for favors when they want something, it gives them someone to thank when things are going well, and it gives them someone to blame when things go wrong.

Religion helps people cope with the world. But, in my opinion, religion is all in people's minds. There is no reality to it.

Religious people say that I should believe in God because of faith. The reason that there is no evidence is because it is called "faith." But my question is: "Why have faith?" I have seen nothing to cause me to have faith in any sort of God. I could just as easily tell them that I have "faith" that my dog is the all-powerful being at the center of the universe. There is no evidence because my dog wants everything to be based on "faith." It could not be proved either way.

12. Wow, heck of an example you are, buddy

13. wait what whered i say that*confused*

what the fuck did i do

14. I snipped your words, since I wasn't responding directly to a sentence... I can put the text in if you want.

Anyway, I just find it odd that religious people really think it's better to be that kind of religious, only when you need it, and nice except for when someone insults you, and then you "smash there face into a locker when there not looking and throw them across the hall into the other ones and square off until its broken up."

It wasn't paranoia who I was really rebutting, but he really jumped right into that group of religious people who really get on my nerves

I think the idea that religion makes people behave better is laughable - it just gives them reason to think their behavior is better than the next guys

15. But Rastas also worship an opressive monarch. I would reasearch the religion before making that statement. I was pretty involved with Rastafarian religion for a while, but am now happy to be a jew again.

16. wow ive been thinking the same as you lately....ever since i started smoking. i DO believe there is some type of god...but not too sure about christianity. I don't want to call myself athiest because im kinda still deciding. heres a website, http://www.evilbible.com . thats what first got me thinking that somethings up.... good read

17. It makes me sad that so many people have such a negative view of religion.

There's an essence to every religion, an abstraction of what perfect virtue can be. All major organized religions point to this same center.

It's not the words of the bible, or any other religious or philosophical text that are holy. It's what the words point to. All faiths call this essence different things... God, nirvana, the brahman, whatever... but they all search for ways in which we can free our spirits and connect with this larger consciousness.

I was actually raised pretty religion-free, and for a long time I considered myself an atheist. But yet I always knew that something didn't felt quite right. I thought that just by intellectualizing about my problems I could figure everything out. Obviously I thought that religious people were just trying to convince themselves of a higher reality because they needed comfort.

What actually first instilled doubts in my previous beliefs was my first acid trip (woo!).

I think when you really learn how to open your heart and let the world flow in... you kinda get what religion is really about. No arguing will convince you, the only thing that'll make you understand is when you really open your eyes yourself.

18. um no....someone doesnt have to just go you fucking bitch get the fuck out of my way and ill beat them down....were talking about someone following me through the halls bothering me in which then they get beat down, especially if they say something in the morning when im just coming in and they were pissing me off the day before.....but its so quiet the teachers hear and rush immediatly anyway

19. I believe in God like I believe in the sun rise. Not because I can see it, but because I can see all that it touches.
    A God. The God. One word can make all the difference in the world.
    God favors no group. Only religions do that.

The Blind will not prevail...:D

20. *Points to avatar*

:hello:eric:hello: