Religion should be outlawed or strictly controlled

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by InnerPeace, May 10, 2010.

1. Your first point. It suggests that every religion deals with God. There are plenty of scientific religions and religions that have nothing to do with creationism. The fact that you are comparing religion to evolution and then leaving about tens of religions falsifies your argument. He is just as falsifiable as evolution anyways. That is why evolution is still a theory. Regardless of how good the 'evidence' looks on paper when it is all grouped up doesn't mean that it still cannot be proved and that makes it a theory.

You second point. Nothing about human existence is taught in school - evolution or theories like it nor religion. So that point is out the window but lets dwell in it. You are comparing ideas such as heliocentrism to evolution. Heliocentrism is accepted by nearly every Human life form as almost every human believes the Earth is round. You are trying to make the comparing while saying that the evidence is that overwhelming and accepted by the majority of humans. I believe religion still covers the majority of humanity even with the recent, rapid decline.

Your third point. There's room for scientific error and human error. Saying error is non-existent at any point in time would be completely wrong. You first start by using an argument that says eye witness matters and now have stated, quote-unquote, that eye witnesses do not matter. I cannot argue with such a fallacy as it makes you seem you are arguing for both religion and evolution. You are still also making an unfair comparison. In a murder case, evidence is collected in front of people who are living during the time period in which this happened. In the collection of evidence from something they say happened millions and millions of years ago, no one is still alive from that time period and the evidence is not of real-time aspect, as it is in a murder case.

Your fourth point. Actually natural selection is the "most likely" theory according to you. That is your belief and your opinion of what sounds best to you. You believe that there is no theory with greater efficiency than the one you choose to believe.

As I'd like to say the same, I cannot because I'm still feeling it from you. I, however, never put it on. I can say it is nice for you to be posting with less insults.

We shouldn't be teaching anything. That only flaws our school system even more and we don't even teach religion or evolution. If we started it would only create more trouble. The reason we should not teach anything is because the children are there for an education, not a lecture of theory and belief from either side. They are there to learn the four academic subjects and become greater in their knowledge of them as they climb the schooling ladder. The tax payers pay into schools for their children to learn about these subjects and not about religion or theory. Anything that revolves around beliefs of creation or evolution are indefinitely things to be discussed at home with family, not forced upon you at school by strangers.

At the same time, it goes against the will of religious students to teach that in this forceful way. It would just be another reason why evolution should be outlawed and that is because of the extremist nature it would bring if it were mandatory in schools. Everyone can make their own decision and beliefs. Not everyone has to agree with you and your theory.

2. yep that appears to be bad science.

The problem with government controlling schools though is that it;s a viaduct for propaganda. they can endorse which ever scientific conclusions fit their political agenda's. Like anthropogenic global warming alarmist propanganda. We we were shown inconvinient truth in high school economics like it was factual. :rolleyes:

3. Well, you're talking about these 'scientific religions'. I'm talking about Creationism, and why 'creation science' should not EVER be taught to children. So, let's not deviate here...

My friend, God is NOT falsifiable. The definition of falsifiable is that something is able to be disproved, it is able to be falsified. We can never, ever prove God wrong, there's no scientific test we can do that would falsify God. There are scientific scenarios that would disprove evolution. For this reason, evolution is falsifiable, because we can potentially and very scientifically prove it wrong. But the evidence to prove it is wrong is simply not there. If it did arise, evolution would be falsified. You can't say the same about religion.

And yes, evolution can be proved, and it has been. Like I said, those Lenski tests are evolution right before our eyes, it's evolution RIGHT THERE! Seriously, if you ask me to I will type out the exact procedure and results, I'm a huge admirer of what is really a flawless experiment. I'm sure you'd agree if you read the details of this beautiful experiment.

There was a time when heliocentricism wasn't accepted. There was a time when EVERYONE believed the earth was flat. Fuck man, when the theory of continental drift was first proposed it was widely mocked. They said "That's ridiculous, anyone who believes this is completely wrong!" And yet now it's widely accepted with just the same numbers of support as the theory of gravity.

Besides, that's essentially arguing that truth is incumbant upon the numbers who support it. Nazi Germany. Lot's of people believed that it was wonderful, that Nazism was the best thing ever to happen to Germany. Millions of people, tens of millions of people. We widely recognise today that they were wrong and Nazi Germany was a monstrous, monstrous affair never again to be repeated. See what I mean? Just because the majority of people support a lie doesn't make it the truth.

Sure, you can never say error is non existent. You cannot deny that human error is more substantial than empirical scientific evidence though. Scientific evidence is based on numbers, tests, procedures, mathematics and such. Human evidence can easily be warped by opinions, agendas and of course greed, which causes many people to lie for their own benefit. Numbers don't lie, there's only one way to do a calculation. Besides, the whole point of science is that ANYONE can follow the same experimental procedure and they should come up with the same results. If they don't, then the experiment is flawed and the science is faulty.

I never said eye witnesses don't matter, I said eye witness evidence isn't nearly as strong as non-subjective, OBJECTIVE evidence. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. Here's a thought experiment for you. Suppose there was an eye witness who said he saw the murder happen. He says that Mr Green commited the murder. However, on the eye witnesses clothes were found the blood, hair and fingerprints of the body. Which do we trust? The man, who could and very probably IS lying, or the science? The science doesn't lie, humans do, you dig?

This isn't just according to me... this is according to every scientific body out there. These are the same people who verify the theory of gravity and other undisputed theories. What makes you think that they'd be wrong?

Regardless, I think anyone can see that evolution is more plausible than the magical creation of the Earth 6000 years ago. The age of rocks, found through radioactive dating techniques, is very, very consistent. If you were to pick up any old rock from outside and take it to a properly equipped laboratory, I can absolutely garuntee you with my life that it would be older than 6000 years.

However, I guess we're talking about evolution, so I'll once again refer to those Lenski experiments. You could, if you had the resources, do exactly what they did and see evolution occur right in front of you (well, in the space of 20 years or so). You see what I mean? This isn't just what I personally believe, this is what has been proved over and over again by different scientists in different parts of the world totally independantly of each other. The alternative, that God did it, is a faith based position, something that you do indeed choose to believe.

There were no insults in the previous post, this post or any post directed at you in this thread, so don't say 'less insults'.

We do teach religion in schools, and we do teach evolution in most schools too...

By that belief, we shouldn't teach the Holocaust in school. There are Holocaust deniers who would say "That's only your opinion! You're giving them a one sided argument, a lecture on your theory!" What would you say to that? By the way, there are many 'eye witnesses' who claim that the Nazi German extermination camps were elaborate sets constructed as part of a conspiracy. See what I mean about eye witnesses being almost useless when they conflict in such a fashion and can be bent so easily...

Man, I'm not proposing we teach just evolution. I'm proposing we teach SCIENCE. We teach kids about the planets, the stars, the ocean, the atoms that make up our bodies, the laws that govern light and sound. Do you think we should teach these too? Don't you think kids have a right to know this stuff? If they reject it, they can choose that freely, but if we don't even give them the chance to consider the evidence in a non-biased format (the classroom is far less biased than the family, who could easily be died-in-the-wool Creationists or hardcore evolutionists who hate Christians and tell their children to hate Christians), then we condemn our children to ignorance. And that's just not fair, they have a right to know what's going on.

4. Why not just arrest God?

5. #25 Herb., May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
    You've repeated everything I told you was your opinion and tried to make it look like a fact. It is all still belief and opinion until you show me otherwise. You can go ahead and type the book or whatever. That is also a theory.

6. Valid point, and it is a very real danger. I'd support the kids being taught both sides of the argument, the evidence for man made global warming and the evidence against it. That's the only way to ensure that non-biased, purely scientific teachings are being given to the kids, and that's the most important thing.

We do have to regulate the teachings of schools though, there must be standards. For example, we wouldn't tolerate ideologies of racial supremacism being taught in schools. What you might say is that if the school teaches such things then surely no parents would send their kids there and it would go out of business. That might be so... but then again, it might not be, and the school might thrive, turning out racist kids. There's gotta be certain standards, agreed on by everyone involved in the education system to safeguard both the hapless children (who have no control over what school they are sent to and what ideologies are rammed into their heads) and society at large, who ultimately has to deal with swarms of improperly educated kids that corrupt the scientific method with their well financed opposition. See how I mean, there's gotta be a line drawn and standards set for what is to be taught, how it is to be taught and why it is to be taught, otherwise we don't have education - we have subjective indoctrination.

7. From observing discussion between a few people in this thread, I've learned a few things.

1. People write replies of great length to show how much they disagree.

2. But people only write a word, (eg. Yup. Cool. Right. Exactly. Etc) or at best a single phrase, to agree.

8. Exactly, ColtClassic.

Even though religion has been the cause for many social ills in the world, the banishment of personal freedom would be even more detrimental to the well-being of the world.

The only way to weed out religious belief is through the strong advocation of rationalism and critical thought. With due time, there will be a modernization of society and it is with this modernization that we will see religious insanity wane. It is already happening in the developed worlds (exciting to see that the internet is acting as a catalyst for disbelief).

9. Well, that's just, like, your opinion maaaaan... :smoking:

But seriously, the experiment is not a 'theory'. A 'theory' is something that is a set of rules that is generally held to be true, explaining a particular phenomenon. No experiment is thus a 'theory', it's a procedure. The findings of the experiment may support or oppose a theory, but the experiment and its results aren't 'theories' at all.

Now, I'm not going to type it out now - there's a hell of a lot to type, and I wanna read some more of my book before I go to work. Before I do it though, I'd like a 'pledge' of sorts from you. I want you to say that you will look at and read the experiment on face value. Read what the scientists did, the method they followed - think that anyone could do this experiment, you yourself could do it if you wanted to and presumably get the same results. So, you've got to take it like this - just read it as it is, as instructions, steps that could lead to any old conclusion whatsoever, including one that opposes evolution. I want you to say that you'll do this, because I don't want to waste a lot of time typing it all out if you're going to read it with a closed mind, with the belief it's 'just a theory' when it's nothing more than a list of instructions, you dig?

Also, very briefly, why all this talk of 'it's just a theory'? Hate to say it again, but the theory of gravity is 'just a theory' too ;)

10. Doesn't surprise me that you are from one of the most scientifically-backwards parts of the country. So, what other bullshit do you believe about modern science? You think that the earth is flat too?

Go get educated and stop speaking about matters that you have no knowledge about.

11. I'm up to date with all modern science. I didn't even say I believed in anything about modern science - very good job reading. I also didn't say the Earth is flat. All I did say is that I don't believe in evolution.

The fact that you think a part of a country is more or less scientific then another makes you and your thoughts of great ignorance. Another ignorant slander you've provided is telling me to get an education about something that no one living today could possibly educate me on accurately. Therefore you also have no knowledge about it, nor does anyone else on Earth today.

You've failed miserably as a troll, dude.

12. OKAY you dumbasses, atheism is as much of a religion as anything. All this belief in scientists who just say their 14 trillion billion age techniques work HAH! ATHEISM is America's religion, hell is YOUNGER than America!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!! How does it feel knowing that you put your faith in a "big bang" WHERE DID THE FIRST MOLECULE COME FROM? Oh NOTHING!! It just APPEARED, its ALWAYS been there!! Which makes more sense, Someone created it, or it just APPEARED FROM NOWHERE!!??!

HUMANS are Religious creatures, they need SOMETHING to believe in, whether they say its a belief or not

And JUST to let you know, DUmbass thread starter, ATHEISM is being shoved down OUR throats in school and it is such bullshit i tell you what!! Carbon dating and educated guesses WOW!!! OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE RIGHT THERE!!! You just take whatever evidence can be put against you and put it in your magical time microwave where EVERYTHING is possible!!!!

God you atheists are so goddamn ignorant and YOU DONT EVEN KNOW IT!!!!! But such is America, so congrats your an american. Your scientists are your gods and prophets there is no difference.

13. Very intersting stuff here.. just thought i would throw something in.. what if instead of having schools where everybody is taught the same things, we just let people learn about what interest them? We can find out exacly how the human race was created but there will always be someone that denies it so instead we let people create there own views of the world without all the propaganda and bullshit that comes with "higher" knowledge... Love the debate guys keep it up!

14. #34 Toohighforaname, May 11, 2010
    whoa hungry hippy there is no need to be rude... maybe we cant explain the first molecule or the the details of the big bang but its ignorant to reject something cause we dont have the technology to prove it... i mean either way both "theories" have holes in it.. who created whatever God is made out of?...

15. My point exactly and the reason why I don't reject anything that has to do with religion. There's no point in arguing in something you cannot prove. The 'proof' that is out there is theoretical, false, loose, or unable to verify. Both sides are wrong or both sides are right. You can all stop trying to argue something you will never know.

16. Not believing in evolution is akin to not believing that the earth is round. The available scientific evidence that shows the validity of the theory of evolution is on a colossal scale (demonstrated through many different branches of science).

Your failure to comprehend evolutionary biology and its evidence does not make you up to date "with modern science." It is laughable that you think that you are.

Also, it is well known that the science education in Texas is behind much of the country. The fact that creationists commonly find a home in your Board of Eduction is a testament to that claim.

17. #37 Herb., May 11, 2010
    Incorrect. Evolution is a theory while we have pictures of the roundness of Earth. To your opinion it is valid on a colossal scale.

Who says I failed to comprehend anything? I'm glad you live in my brain and know all my beliefs. I haven't even said I don't believe in evolution but you have assumed this - pretty laughable.

It is well known in your opinion that Texas is behind much of the country. And I'm not a creationist either so you're wrong once again. Another great fail for the troll.

Are you really about to cry because someone isn't in agreement with you? Are you so bound to evolution and so scared that it could be any other way that you force it down people's throats? You spit on creationist for the forcing of their teachings and then go out and force yours. That's pretty hypocritical in itself. It seems you are engulfed by fear of many things including indifference in thoughts between you and another. I will pray for you... I'll even pray to the first cell in the universe that magically placed itself in a place that didn't exist.

Another belief. You believe that I'm laughable. Thanks for the compliment. I like to think I'm a comedian too. Regardless, it is a belief just like evolution is a belief no matter how many times it has been observed. I don't see where you're going with this other then the same trollish intentions as the person you avidly pole jock.

18. I believe you are the laughable one. Not only for your obvious contradiction, but because evolution has been observed, which you would know were you truly up to date.

19. You do understand that the "round earth theory" is a theory, just as the cell theory and the evolutionary theory are all theories? I have a suspicion that you do not even understand the definition of the word...

I know, right?

"All I did say is that I don't believe in evolution."

It doesn't matter if you are a creationist or not, you come from a region that is lacking in proper biological education. This is largely the reason that evolution has been disbelieved in that region.

I am a strong advocate of scientific education and intellectual honesty. If someone is spreading misinformation and/or lies about science, I will adamantly point that out.

Maybe you can also sacrifice a goat while you are praying for me. I've found that prayers aren't really effective at anything... who knows though, maybe some barbaric sacrifices or wild chanting and dancing around a fire may change things.

20. I do understand that it is a theory. It isn't the reason I disbelieve evolution. I have not spread misinformation. I do not chant, dance, or sacrifice. You've assumed everything you have typed, once again.

You attempts at trolling fail, yet again. Now please discontinue your childish hijack of another thread because you're in fear of opposition or finding out your beliefs are fake. If you feel the need to cry out your theory to someone so you can sleep at night, my inbox is ready to listen.