Religion in 2019

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by LoneGardener, Mar 6, 2019.

1. I was sent to a religious home for wayward boys and was beaten with a board for the smallest infraction. All in the name of God. It was the worst time in my life. It fucked me up so bad I still think about it. 35 years later!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Evil can be done in the name of anything, even in the name of the complete opposite. Pretty disgusting isn't it, I feel for what you went through, that kind of trama can ripple through ones lifetime.

• Like Like x 1
  3. There wasn't an appropriate 'like' to give you for this post. So I wanted to say something.

I cannot imagine such an upbringing. But I have heard such things before.

Thank you for telling us that here. Your voice should be heard.

May it help educate those who haven't taken such things into account in their understanding of what religion, and those who claim to represent it, can become.

• Like Like x 2
  4. This is really really tough - and while similar, church and state are totally different...

You live in Scandinavia, though, correct? Have you stopped paying taxes - yourself?

I’d personally have to quit my cushy job of testing mattresses for 4 hour nap times though - because HR would never dream of allowing me to simply stop paying. It would actually put the parent corporation in harms way.

A big issue for me with Christianity being based on the Bible is the huge amount of bad things quoted in it - rape sex with your sister, God killing off the second son of each household that didn’t have an ash mark on the doorway, Slavery and how it’s ok, killing babies and women, and of course there’s endless things but when I asked about these things, as they are as much a part of the Bible as everything else, I was told “The Old Testament was written long ago, those were different times, so we need to take this into consideration and “read between the lines” (or something like that) - but why would it matter - AT ALL/WHATSOEVER how long ago it was when the entire religion is BASED ON THIS BOOK??

If it was A-Ok to rape your sister then, or to have slaves for example (better example) - and of the Christianity religion is based on this book then who cares how old the book is?

Or perhaps the Bible needs to be updated? But that would be a joke, right?

Who makes the decisions as to what parts of the Bible should be incorporated into Christians daily lives and which parts “were from long ago, so let’s disregard those sections”?

According to the Bible, most won’t ever make it into the Glorious Kingdom of Heaven anyhow - just working on Sundays, no matter how pious a Christian you are automatically breaks one of the Ten Commandments so you’re screwed anyhow - even if you’re a poor man who simply HAS TO work on Sundays or be fired, who simply HAS TO work on Sundays or his kids won’t eat that well, or his damn (oops!) rent will be late - again -

Unless he says real, real fast the moment before he dies “Sorry I didn’t mean to work Sundays please forgive me lord!” - THEN he would be ok - but other than that he’s pretty much screwed.

He’d better not even think of looking at his neighbors hot wife through the damn (oops!) knothole in the stockade fence!
    He’d also better not be jealous of his neighbors warm coat, or hit his finger with a hammer and say “godammit”!! Lol

Ok rant over.
    I wasn’t raised Catholic myself but had a plethora of friends growing up that told me the same horror stories about those Nuns and god forbid don’t go near a Nun with a ruler! The one I remember most was the “knuckle rapping” stories of the nuns bringing the ruler down on the back of your hands - BAM!! HARD!! right on the knuckles - lol

I never really heard much about any real violence though - but if we jumped in a canoe and went across the pond over to Ireland it would be a different story altogether.

Have any of you folks ever heard of the Catholic work houses for “delinquent children” in Ireland? This is a really big deal and I’m surprised it was never discussed more of what is yet another complete atrocity - really bad stuff from a group that is “supposedly” based on good - because this is pure evil. Pick up a relief look here… This is just the first one that I found but some quick Google investigation will turn up 1000 websites to corroborate .

http://www.religioustolerance.org/clergy_sex10.htm

This really deserves its own space - unfortunately not many know about it or at least I’ve never seen it discussed enough

A very brief copy and paste just to pique interest -

The Roman Catholic church operated a series of more than 200 workhouses for orphans, delinquent children, and children of single mothers in Ireland between the 1930s and 1990s. They housed some 30,000 children, were funded by the state, and run by Roman Catholic orders such as the Christian Brothers and Sisters of Mercy. Some examples of "delinquent" children were:

[​IMG] Tom Sweeney, 11, who had skipped school.
    [​IMG] Mannix Flyunn, 8, who stole a box of chocolates.
    [​IMG] Christine Buckley, 1 month old, who was guilty only of being born to a single mother. Now 62 years of age, she was one of the first victims to break her silence and demand justice. 1
    [​IMG]

Exposure and investigation:
    It was a documentary film series "States of Fear" broadcast on Irish TV by journalist and campaigner Mary Raftery that brought the allegations of systemic abuse in reform schools and other institutions to public awareness. The resultant outrage led to the creation of a Commission to Inquire Into Child Abuse led by Justice Sean Ryan.

The commission conducted a nine-year investigation that heard from almost 2,000 witnesses. On 2009-MAY-20, the Commission produced a five volume, 2,600 page report.

The report lists the physical abuse suffered in the boys' schools: 'Punching, flogging, assault and bodily attacks, hitting with the hand, kicking, ear pulling, hair pulling, head shaving, beating on the soles of the feet, burning, scalding, stabbing, severe beatings with or without clothes, being made to kneel and stand in fixed positions for lengthy periods, made to sleep outside overnight, being forced into cold or excessively hot baths and showers, hosed down with cold water before being beaten, beaten while hanging from hooks on the wall, being set upon by dogs, being restrained in order to be beaten, physical assaults by more than one person, and having objects thrown at them'. ..."

The New York Times comments:

"The Vatican had no response. Leaders of various religious orders issued abject apologies, taking care to frame the problem as something that was now behind them." 3

Cardinal Sean Brady, the leader of Ireland's 4 million Catholics, offered a brief, approximately 20 second-long, apology"

"I am profoundly sorry and deeply ashamed that children suffered in such awful ways in these institutions. Children deserve better and especially from those caring for them in the name of Jesus Christ." 1

My post was long enough - but I can’t help it - how about these 800+ Bodies of children discovered at a home run by nuns?

Claim of 800 children's remains buried at Irish home for unwed mothers

Shut them down. Shoot them like rabid dogs.

J

• Like Like x 1
  5. No I don't live in Scandinavia, and yes I have.

I cannot in good conscience support evil, and I'll take that to my grave, sooner or later.

It isn't HRs choice it is yours, be responsible for your own actions.

6. My mistake as I was thinking of someone else - my apologies for the geographical error.

Ahhhhh - but you see I own my own home and property - and I’m guessing you do not - not at least if you aren’t paying taxes.

Or you won’t for very long if you’ve stopped Paying The Man.

“cannot in good conscience support evil“

By choosing not to pay The Man you stop supporting good as well. There’s a fine line in there - somewhere.

I CHOOSE to pay my taxes - and one thing I can tell you pal is that I AM responsible for my own actions lol

Just as while I may piss and moan over the amount, I CHOOSE to pay for my families health insurance, I’m looking forward to a quiet retirement without worrying about looking over my shoulder.

I *like-* knowing if something - ANYTHING happens that I can deal with it with a line of Credit - can you? I ask because not paying the man his cut always catches up w folks - i’ve seen it happen multiple times.

I like knowing I can go buy a car tomorrow. Hell, I like knowing I have credit - that I’m doing my share for emergency services, for the kids schools, for the guy that plows our dead end road.

But this thread isn’t about that at all and I don’t want to be the guy that gets it derailed and off track -

J

• Like Like x 1
  7. You say you choose to pay taxes, so you willingly support a genocidal government, not much different than tithing to the catholic church IMO.

8. Youre absolutely correct - and we could go back and forth all night - all year for that matter - a lifetime of banter - but my home and property demands we pay our share to help take care of our local emergency services, our roads and our schools amongst other things. I love our spot - and I do not mind paying our share.

My paycheck is a bit different as we are now mostly talking federal taxes and federal benefits and while I do not agree with some of where my dollars go I wouldn’t start calling it “genocide”? You’re getting this from where?

Again - I pay my share and my part. If I decided to stop paying and hated the government I lived under as much as it seems you do, I certainly wouldn’t stay because that would be just as wrong - correct?

J

9. Why - does the Catholic Church protect its congregations with armies if necessary? Does it pay health insurance (Medicare) for its elderly or Social Security monthly? Remind me of what the Catholic Church does for its congregation that the Federal Govt does?

That’s just plain Ol silly.

J

10. Maybe you need to see where federal taxes go? Check out the Grace Commision.

11. Why would I leave, why should I leave?

I'm not going to be driven from my life because a bunch of rich assholes want to act like my master, they can fuck themselves, along with all their obedient cowardly little order followers.

As far as genocide, take your pick

List of wars involving the United States - Wikipedia

12. War is war dude - genocide refers to trying to take out groups of people, usually an ethnic thing and/or based on racism so don’t try and spin it like that.

Genocide LOL

As far as why would you leave? Jeez - why wouldn’t you? Why would anyone want to
    stay anywhere they literally hated so much, under a government they despised, and amongst billions of cowards, living under the protection of the very military that dishes out Genocide? Why WOULDNT you leave?
    In the very short life we have here I would think it very foolish for you to live among the very people you hate. Wouldn’t you want to be happy in your short duration of life?

Ive met several others with the same mental attitudes back in the day. They were either still in college or fresh out and thought they could change the world with rally’s and signs. Some talked about going to Canada.

I wonder whatever happened to them?

Again, this is way off track of the topic at hand and should end up in the Political forum so i’ll need to bow out.

Genocide lol

J

13. Genocide - the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation

War - a state of armed conflict between different nations or states or different groups within a nation or state

War is genocide, by definition.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I’m a peas loving dude (carrots, too) but because we have been in wars doesn’t mean we are a Genocide nation.

Again, that’s just silly.

J

15. No, it really isn’t.

Hitler was tiring to wipe out the Jews, black folks etc - Genocide.

J

16. And I like steak and BBQ chicken.
    Way to show your validity.
    How does the posi-traction on a Chrysler work?

17. Funny - I was thinking the same! Lol

Offhand - are you an American?

J

18. It would depend on what year the rear end was from of course. Pre-1969 it was known as “True-Posi” which actually locked the 2 axles but due to control issues it was stopped.

Then there’s the locked center differential...

Start a car thread. I bet a ton of people would love to discuss it. Me, I go to the mechanic.

J

19. I suggest you brush up on some history my good friend.

The writing is on the wall.

20. Yes, I was born on this piece of dirt called the United States of America, luckily.
    I don't see the corolation, though.