Religion...Hope this isn't too controversial

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Fuggy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. My feeling is that all ORGANIZED religion (christianity, catholicism, judiasm, etc.) were just created way back when because people needed to have a reason for their existence. Nowadays, people can accept that there may be nothing after we die and that making up some fairy-tale paradise isn't going to make it come true. I also think that it was created by someone greedy who wanted to have control over people and just used it to have power over people who just wanted a purpose for their existence.

I personally am agnostic, so I don't discount that a creature or incredibly evolved being may exist out there that created us..of course how could I, there is no way to prove or disprove it. But I like science because it makes sense and actually relies on proof and evidence, instead of faith, which its nice to believe in something but I'm not modeling my entire life after something that has no proof or even logical thought behind it. Would you believe someone if they told you that hansel and gretel or pinnochio were real stories? Neither would I! And that's about how realistic the stories in the bible were...

I think organized religion preaches being good to one another, and that is something to be admired, but you don't need a religion to be good to others..You just need morals and ethics and a little common sense. And besides, its a little backwards considering way back in the day they had WARS over joining their religion, and there still are some going on. But just a reference: The Crusades, The Inquisition, and The Reformation...

In fact, a lot of religions such as Christianity, have almost the exact same basic story as religions that existed thousands of years before them. The egyptian religion practically mirrors the christian religion, but it existed in 3000 B.C..hmmmm...

I think if I truly had to pick any religion, it would've been Buddhism, because that doesn't involve worshipping someone, its just about living life peacefully, and how to achieve nirvana, etc.

Oh and another reason I couldn't get behind organized religion is because there is SOOO much fucked up shit in the world. What god would let this kind of stuff happen? And if you say its all a part of his plan, then I say FUCK GOD'S PLAN. What god lets 6 million people get tortured and killed? (obvious reference to Holocaust)...Well, if he even did exist from the Christian religion, I still wouldn't worship him, he's all powerful, and he created the entire universe but he can't stop one world from tearing it self-apart...I would never believe in a god that lets such awful things happen to good people...

2. Religion is outdated. It used to be a teaching method and a way to explain things that people didn't understand. People believed that sacrificing a goat would make it rain. We've evolved since then and have learned a lot. Religion causes more problems than it fixes now and I hope we get rid of it completely one day.

3. either that or they were originated because someone (or a group of people [ie: the church]) realized that they could be all powerful through the "word of god" .. or .. their words.
    just sayin - it's possible in theory, yes? that religion's origins were entirely corrupt and were actually an uncivilized system of politics that placed the church in power through "god"?

lol im fucking high homie. by the way - i agree with a lot of what you said.

4. :hello: You said it! I couldn't agree more. I think that religion is indeed created by mankind as a way to maintain control and whatnot.. I don't follow a religion either. It just seems like there are *so* many religions out there, so how does one know which one is the RIGHT one? The ultimate question of mankind, stumping people since the beginning of time and causing billions of deaths and lots of wars and whatnot... "What religion is RIGHT?" The answer: It was a trick question. There never was a right one.

5. Yeah I have a few theories on how religion was started, and that was one of em. It could be any of them, they all sound reasonable.

6. I thought this too. Like what if Moses just got high one day and said, "hey if i write some shit on a tablet and tell people god did it, they might believe me". If only the 11th commandment was "Thou shalt smoke weed all day errday".

7. Haha, that's awesome.

I'm pretty much on board with all you guys. Religion is a man-made construct that may have introduced morals to a primitive society, but that's about as far as it goes.

8. Actually a large amount of the morals and ethics we see today evolved from religion. Religion originally created structure in a chaotic world for early people's. As people evolved, so did religion. Eventually however, people evolved so much that religion could no long evolve with people. I.E: Modern science.

Now it is true that religion no longer serves an ethical or moral purpose, as we can discuss these things without having to fear punishment by God. (That is the non-religious can.)

However religion still does give hope to some where it is needed, and that's why religion will continue on, most people need a crutch in life to keep them moving, and religion is that crutch.

9. Why do people need hope? Why can't they believe in themselves without fear of punishment from a "higher power"?

10. ^right... the "hope" religion gives might as well be replaced with some weed to smoke and just drop the religion part. it's like a stress-reliever.

religion: oh, everything will be okay - because this is god's plan.

weed conversion: oh, everything will be okay. because i'm high and sorting out my own shit and coming to terms with myself.. and i can give myself hope by believing in myself.
    :laughing: i mean - there are plenty of intelligent, religious stoners. but there shouldn't be :rolleyes:
    loll sorry guys. just check the location.. it couldnt be more true.

11. #11 TeSupo, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    I don't believe in creation nor evolution but I have read several books and it takes several book's to understand this concept, This all occurred some
    time before the year 2000 B.C. What!!
    Also, not reading up to 376 will not effect your read, it really is irrelevant since it is trying to free your mind from what you know till it gives you the juicy stuff which it wants to prepare you for, trust me, 376-401 is a quick short story, if you are interested in more facts is when you read all of it and all the books of Zecharia Sitchin.

http://watchmenfaithministries.com/images/Rule_By_Secrecy_by_Jim_Marrs.pdf
    Source - Zecharia Sitchin (spent his life researching this) Another set of books Ive read

Start at Page 376 (The Anunnaki) Read only from Page 376-401 (easy read) and sums up everything pretty much from all the books I have read (25 pages is not much to read and it is interesting once you get into a few pages.

Start at Page 388 to 401 (Floods and Wars) Interprets Genesis how primitive humans would have been and ancient text would form the bible.if you are not a reader and are just going to glance over some pages cause reading bits won't give you the wow! effect.

It must be stressed that the preceding only begins to scratch the surface
    of the wealth of data now available-both archeological and in the
    cuneiform tablets-that supports this incredible narrative with its far reaching
    implications.

Just look at the ratings of his books, but see how many there are, why I say it is irrelevant to read the pdf book I posted.

Amazon.com: Zecharia Sitchin: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

12. ^im gonna check that out tomorrow homie. too drunk for educational reading right now. i mean - i'll understand it. but i won't remember it tomorrow. lol

13. #13 TeSupo, Jun 29, 2010

Alright dude! I put a lot of good info up there for you to navigate easily so enjoy.

Really you should start at Page.357 but since most might not want to read it at this point I started it the pages stated above, This is where it really starts at though, what 40 pages or so

I keep doing this but damn, I want somebody to read it so we can discuss it since this is a appropriate thread for it.

And for the avid reader that wants to read a bit more, this is where it really starts lmao.

PART V
    ANCIENT MYSTERIES
    Nothing is truly new; it has all been done or said before.
    What can you point to that is new? How do you know it
    didn't exist long ages ago? We don't remember what happened
    in those former times, and in the future generations no
    one will remember what we have done back. here.
    - ECCLESIASTES 1:9-11, LIVING BIBLE
    PAGE 342

I am going sleep = lates​

14. #14 TeSupo, Jun 29, 2010
    I was looking through my book collection and saw this book too, reason I picked this one too is another thread I saw but this is a book that I believe has connections to this theory too, here is a quote I always enjoyed from this book, excuse my writing since I just went through a massive car accident and have a broken neck and a cast on my arm as well so bare with me.

I know I am laying a lot of information out, but all the books I have read, these two have good connecting theories, that make you think how can this be possible when we have all this science and they knew this at this time.

The Return of Quetzalcoatl
    Daniel Pinchbeck

Part 4
    The Loom of MAYA

Here is a section from chapter four Page 238 - great section to read

In September 2002, astronomers verified the existence of a massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way, naming "Sagittarius B." Jenkins writes:

Something very profound and mysterious is going on here. Is it just a coincidence that lurking deep within the dark-rift "black hole" is the very real Black Hole at the center of our Galaxy? If not a coincidence, the dark-rift itself might indeed be the surface signifier of deeper cosmic mysteries, ones that the Maya were well aware of.

This is what they are saying is going to be aligned in 2012
    We just discovered this ourselves as a
    Discovery!

15. Now that I think about it, How can their be so many religions, and only one God. Obviously there is lies and deceit involved. And since you can't tell for sure which is the real one (if any mind you) you should hold a neatral stance, and keep an open mind willing to change. It takes a headstrong person to say they know they have the right one.

16. Now that I think about it, you sound a lot more intelligent when you present your argument in this manner..wtf was with your post on the other thread?

17. #17 TeSupo, Jun 29, 2010
    I am sorry dude, i started laughing my ass off for some reason when you included homosexuals with those other types and I know, I know. You were comparing it in a different way but when I saw it like others too, I just kept laughing and wrote that craziness, I wasn't even writing it up for dialogue, it was purely monologue, since it was not meant to be debatable since it was SOO left field, what I wrote lol, what that was about and sorry cause you were trying to be serious but the thread was exploding anyways but I am speaking on my behalf only.

The book above is great and what not but this one is more appropriate for your thread. Quoting my original post to bump this book - hopefully somebody already knows what I am talking about with this book, want others thoughts on this too, interested in knowing what others think.

http://watchmenfaithministries.com/images/Rule_By_Secrecy_by_Jim_Marrs.pdf
    Source - Zecharia Sitchin (spent his life researching this) Another set of books Ive read

Start at Page 376 (The Anunnaki) Read only from Page 376-401 (easy read) and sums up everything pretty much from all the books I have read (25 pages is not much to read and it is interesting once you get into a few pages.

Start at Page 388 to 401 (Floods and Wars) Interprets Genesis how primitive humans would have been and ancient text would form the bible.if you are not a reader and are just going to glance over some pages cause reading bits won't give you the wow! effect.

It must be stressed that the preceding only begins to scratch the surface
    of the wealth of data now available—both archeological and in the
    cuneiform tablets—that supports this incredible narrative with its far reaching
    implications.

Just look at the ratings of his books, but see how many there are, why I say it is irrelevant to read the pdf book I posted.
    http://www.amazon.com/Zecharia-Sitc..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XJ9JK1VF4GHVMSE5J7B[/quote]