Religion- A figment of the human imagination

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by enevitable, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Incredibly interesting article on an analysis of how humans evolved into creating religion:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article...n.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=news3_head_dn13782
    The trascendental social, an interesting notion. What do you guys make of this article, does anyone actually disagree?

I mean it only makes sense that religion is a figment of our imagination, because well, look at how many there are. It couldn't be that varied if it all wasn't getting made up.

But theres no doubt that spreading these imagined religions promotes social cohesion and bonding, which is pretty amazing if you think about it.

2. So god starts with the imagination.....:hello: No wonder im so spiritual!!!

Thats what i got out of that artical...

Bloch forgot to mention the Ego. Did that come from our imagination as well? As far as i know, we are the only species that has an ego....

we imagine ourselves supreme....... until an astroid comes blasting at us going 98174508715544 miles an hour....and puts the smack down on our ass's....

as far as there being so many different religions, they are all actually very very similar....

very good artical!! kudos!

3. tell that to morphyx.

4. I agree to a point. I think there are states of higher conciousness that we can reach with the help of religion, but I don't really want to say that religion is fake, cause who really is to say?
    The reason there are so many is because so many people from different reigons have their own interpretation. You can't expect a man in ancient China to come to the same conclusions of the spiritual world as a man in ancient Egypt.
    I think it comes down to drugs and space really... So many stories in religion can be traced in the stars, theres the theory that the sun is the savior of most religions and if any of you listen to Terrance Mckenna you will pretty much get what I'm trying to say...

5. Exactly. So many cultural and regional influences really help creativity