Relationship between Reservoir size and nutrient concentration

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by kunkgrow, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Relationship between Reservoir size and nutrient concentration

Hello growers.

I'm on my first hydroponic (rDWC) journey and still have many questions and problems arising, learning every step of the way.

Lets picture the following scenario to better understand this questioning:
    Imagine two systems
    One that holds 40 gallons in total with only 4 plants.
    One that holds 20 gallons in total with only 4 plants.

Now lets say you run your nutrients with 500ppm on each, same dilution.

Is it possible to assume that the 40 gallon system will potentially burn your plants when the 20 gallon system doesn't ?

Ok, you have the same concentration on both, but on the 40 gallon the plant has more available due to the larger volume, and even though it drinks at the same concentration, it drinks more and more without ever bringing the EC/ppm down due to the higher availability.

Do you see where I am going? Does it make sense?

2. You're over thinking this.
    500 ppm is 500 ppm whether in a one gal res or a thousand gal res. the only diff between res sizes is how long the nute solution lasts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Would you say that with a larger reservoir with fewer plants its possible to run the same solution for 2-3 weeks without changing the solution ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Of course, but keep in mind that in a recirculating system any waste products the plant expels will build up in the res. I never let my reservoirs go more than two weeks without a complete change. It is usually a week and I flush out built up salts from the medium before carrying on with nutes