Relationship between Brix and Potency?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Vox Continental, Mar 4, 2012.

1. I just recently read an article in a farming magazine called "acres" that stated that raw milk can help in an overall increase of brix scores. While the amount of raw milk added relative to watering cycles was not included in the article and other nutrient amendments were also used in the growing process the question is raised:

Can things that help contribute to a higher brix reading in vegetables also be responsible for an increase in health and potency of Cannabis plants?

2. [quote name='"Vox Continental"']I just recently read an article in a farming magazine called "acres" that stated that raw milk can help in an overall increase of brix scores. While the amount of raw milk added relative to watering cycles was not included in the article and other nutrient amendments were also used in the growing process the question is raised:

Can things that help contribute to a higher brix reading in vegetables also be responsible for an increase in health and potency of Cannabis plants?[/quote]

I dont think brix would increase potency but your flavors should improve. I could be wrong. Many moons ago we would measure brix numbers in our fruit around harvest. The higher the brix the sweeter the fruit. I have nothing to back this up, but it's my belief that environmental parameters play a large roll in delveloping brix. I noticed that years when the temps where high the brix was higher. I've been trying to find some information regarding brix numbers in mmj. Just my 2.

3. Brix is a measure of sugars (carbs). Plants make carbohydrates (again sugars) through photosynthesis.

Photosynthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In general healthy plants will have a higher brix than un-healthy plants. One of the reasons I tried spirulina for a fertilizer was to add chorlaphill, then eventually brix, but my readings show that probably is not happening because the chorlaphill in spirulina is not taken in as chorlaphill in the plant tissue.

But if proteins contribute to higher brix, as the article suggests, then spirulina should work for that as spirulina is a good source of proteins. But milk is easier to source and much cheaper. But how this might work is a mystery to me........MIW

4. I'm not saying that a higher brix score would increase potency of the final product, just that, the things that do increase brix scores would also lead to the correlation of increased potency.

In other words, if kelp meal helps increase the Brix reading in tomatos, will it also increase the cannabinoid content of Cannabis?

Can I read articles about increasing brix score and say "This will lead to some to fire" ?

5. Elemental Sulfur has far more to do with potency than does carbohydrates.

THC is simply CxHxOx - dat's it. Carbon, Hydrogen & Oxygen

6. Thanks for the input blades.

So how does one increase the amount of elemental sulfer in their soils so that it is beneficial?

7. Myself, I add gypsum.

It was suggested by the grower of my seed garlic, but I noticed everything seemed to benefit when I added it to the mix.

Wet

8. I have a fair amount of Langbeniete (sp?) sul-po-mag in my soil, and my buds reak. Might be good.

9. [quote name='"LumperDawgz2"']Elemental Sulfur has far more to do with potency than does carbohydrates.

THC is simply CxHxOx - dat's it. Carbon, Hydrogen & Oxygen[/quote]

[quote name='"SkunkPatronus"']I have a fair amount of Langbeniete (sp?) sul-po-mag in my soil, and my buds reak. Might be good.[/quote]

Whats everyone's choice of sulfur and application rates. I've got plenty sulfer dioxide?

10. #10 Bag O Weed, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    The benefits of adding the milk I think would be more along the lines of the amino acids and calcium. Milk seems like it would have a lot to offer so it would be hard to say.

I wonder if the lactic acid in the milk helps to also bring in more lactic bacteria to help break down whats there better also?

Regaurdless I hope to try this my next grow because I have already read a few articles about milk in low doses positively affecting plant growth.

11. #11 LumperDawgz2, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    StickyFiskers

Sulfur Dioxide can be toxic and is believed to be responsible for acid rain.

Wetdog's advice on the Gypsum is spot-on. Gypsum (Calciuim Sulfate) is used as a 'liming agent' because it is pH neutral from the 2 elements - Calcium & Sulfur.

You buy this at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. If you buy it at a DIY store make sure that you go to the garden department and get that Gypsum - not the form found in home remodeling. 25# bags at Home Depot are somewhere around $8.00 and probably less than that. The application rate would be the same as if you were using Dolomite Lime, Limestone, et al. - something like 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of soil? I'm not sure on that one.

If you're concerned about using Gypsum you can consider that this is the mineral compound used in China to make dofu (tofu) - i.e. it can be used as a coagulant in food manufacturing.

SkunkPatronis' suggestion on Sul-Po-Mag is equally good - it's just a different approach. This mineral compound is approved for organic food production and one of its benefits is that it is soluble meaning you can take a small amount with water and apply it to your soil, as a foliar application, etc. There are some definite reasons to use one method over the other depending on your goals.

You can add Sul-Po-Mag to your potting soil as well but I couldn't give you a recommended level 'cause I don't have any at the moment.

HTH

LD