Regular lightbulbs?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fire507, May 30, 2009.

1. Anyone ever tried growing with regular light bulbs (not cfl)?
    I found some GE Extra soft white Incandescent (100watts, produces 1585 lumen's) in my closet yesterday and I was thinking about using them for flowering when I start growing.
    Will these work? I'm more worried about the heat because they get really hot.

BTW These are the light bulbs i found: General Purpose Extra Soft White Light Bulbs A19 | GE | Walgreens

2. I would just get some cfls. Like you said those will generate a lot of heat. Plus cfls save on your energy bill, I actually replaced all my lights in the house with cfls.

There are better cfls you can get then that GE Extra soft white Incandescent, like 100w equavilents at HD with 2,600 lumens at 2700k. And the 100w only puts out like I think somewhere between 40 and 50 watts.

3. You can use incandescent light bulbs because they don't produce the right kind of light. They don't emit UV radiation that the plant needs for photosynthesis.

4. If you grow with incandescant bulbs all you will get in return is over-stretched, mangly plants that, if they have not died already, will be screaming at you to put them out of their misery.

Seriously, the use of incandescant lights on cannabis should be classified as torture in the Geneva Convention.