Regret

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, May 14, 2009.

1. Is it an internal compass? Does it come naturally as we are learning (in a sense through prolonged pain)?

Can it be hijacked by doctrines, such as spiritual, religious, philosophical, economic, or political ones? If so, does this indoctrination help or harm humanity, or can it do both?

2. In my opinion it comes from knowing you have the ability to achieve something but choose not to.

3. That makes a lot of sense... So why do we choose not to at times? Do we not know at times?

4. (After reading the original post,)

I have to ask, what is 'Regret'?

Regret is when you don't have 100% certainty, which is most of the time...

That's what regret is, I think.

So I guess it comes naturally, as naturally, we're not 100% certain about anything at any time.

(any) Doctrines can 'hijack' it, although I feel the word 'hijack' is a bit ... well, I don't know but I wouldn't put it like that...

Anyway, doctrines can hijack it and it can either bolster your confidence, or if it goes the other way, weaken your confidence.

I don't know which is the better way, to bolster or to weaken, as too much to either direction, we're in trouble...

5. Can regret be centralizing?

6. What is 'centralizing'? What does it mean?

7. Regret is a learning tool, standard in the typical human model. What one regrets is dependent on one's values, actions, and experiences. It's a part of the compass rather than the whole thing.

Also, you can regret being uncertain about someting, or you can be uncertain about regretting something, but you can also be certain of regretting something or regret being certain of something. I wouldn't call regret a lack of certanty.

8. Regret. Another aspect of Free Will, remember the Free Will thread.

Without Free Will we wouldnt be able to regret

Surely for those who believe and do good things there will be nothing to regret

9. Helping one find one's way. At least that's how I think of it. I guess a better word would be "guiding".

10. I agree.

11. The belief that you did something one way, but now when you look back at it you wish you did it another way.

So yes, regret and learning are intertwined with each other.

12. I guess...

After feeling too much regret, you wouldn't want to repeat that.

But if you feel little or no regret, you might be heading for disaster.

So I guess regret guides you from too much harm or too much joy... kind of keeps you in the middle.

13. It is pointless and a waste of time to regret anything and in some cases a sin

14. Rod Flanders: Well, those folks from the senior center sure will love that peach tree we planted. I wish we could see their happy faces.

Ned Flanders: Ahh! Sin of pride, Roddy.

Rod: I'm sorry!

Ned: Ahh! Sin of regret!

15. How is it a sin?

In which case?

16. Despair comes from Satan

17. God is fair. Surely there is no reason to regret. One must be patient and wait for his will to be known.

18. IMME : Is it a Christian value?

19. It could be. It could be any true believers value. Christian, Jewish, or Muslim.

20. Christianity says you have to repent, right?

Without regreting what you did, how can you repent?