Reggie Seed x2 First Grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by AfghaniMani, Mar 8, 2013.

1. This is my first ever grow journal and my first ever grow.
    I currently have 2 seeds from the best Reggie i ever had and are currently germinating under my bed in between paper towels inside a baggie.
    Its been 24 hours and still no sprouts, at least i cant see them yet. :(
    I plan to keep the plants small by doing a FIM cut when it is at its 5th node and not giving them much space for their roots which in turn reduces their vegative growth.
    I am going to go today to purchase Jungle Growth 32 qt.
    Premium Organic Mix with Fertilizer and fill up two cups.
    I will be placing them outside on my patio.
    I am still deciding which nutes to give them so any advice is appreciated but for now i am leaning towards Miracle-Gro all purpose fertilizer and when the flowering stage begins i will be making the switch to the Miracle-Gro Bloom fertilizer.
    I dont know if i am doing the right thing and i also dont know if the fertilizer in the jungle growth mix will last it for 3 months like it says.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A couple of tips:

Don't use the jungle grow right away. You'll want a seedling mix because a soil with fertilizers already in it will probably burn your seedlings. Miracle gro really isn't suited for marijuana. Some people use it with good results but a lot of people hate it. You're better off finding something different (maybe the fox farm line or something you find locally). Good luck though!

3. When should i start using the Jungle Farm? When i transplant it to a bigger pot?
    Also what is the ideal fertilzer NPK? :confused:

4. When you transplant the jungle should be fine. Just so that its a couple of weeks old and can handle the nutrients. As for fertilizer, you want something higher in N for veg and high in P for flowering. I would suggest checking out the organics section though if you have the option of organic over chemical.

5. you should try and stick the seeds somewhere warm like on top of your internet modem/refrigerator/cable box/etc. It helps the seed think it is spring time and that it is time to sprout.

Heat rises, so under your bed is probably the coldest place in your room.

6. DAY 1 : Actually man they sprouted BIG i was afraid it was going to get stuck through the paper. I had to go to Walmart and i picked up a bag of Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil. I filled up my cups about 4/5 of the way up and stuck the seeds in about 3/4 of an inch in and lightly covered it. Sprayed them with some water and put it under my plant until they turn into seedlings then ill be moving them out further on my patio with some rocks so the wind doesnt knock them over. They get 5-6 Hours of direct sunlight on my patio. Im down in Texas by the way.

I also installed a STATE OF THE ART HUMIDITY CONTAINER. :hello:

Also i think i am going to use Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food throughout the vegative stage every watering at a fraction of the serving recommended. Then i will be switching to Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster following the same reduced servings. I will flush the plant a week or two before harvest.

All Purpose Plant Food :
    N-P-K: 24-8-16
    Trace elements:
    Boron: 0.02%
    Water soluble Copper: 0.07%
    Chelated Iron: 0.15%
    Chelated Manganese: 0.05%
    Molybdenum: 0.0005%
    Water soluble Zinc: 0.06%

Bloom Booster Stats :
    N-P-K: 15-30-15
    Trace elements:
    Boron: 0.02%
    Water soluble Copper: 0.07%
    Chelated Iron: 0.15%
    Chelated Manganese: 0.05%
    Molybdenum: 0.0005%
    Water soluble Zinc: 0.06%

I also would like some feed back on the size of the yellow and red pots. :D

Any Tips Are Appreciated, Thank You.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I would DEF hold off on any nutes. That soil already has nutes. Walmart has a super cheap $2 a bag soil starter soil you can get that has 4 ingredients. Sphagnum peat moss, vermiculite, perlite and organic wetting agent. Good luck

Attached Files:

8. ^very true, miracle gro soil comes with time release nutrients, same problem as the jungle grow. The pots should be fine for the seedlings though, you plan to transplant from those right?

If the all purpose food is all you can get then there's not much you can do. You should still be able to grow fine just keep an eye on it. Don't use it until it shows signs of deficiency though to avoid burning and killing the babies.

9. When do you think i should start using Miracle-Gro All Purpose? Around week 3?
    I already purchased this soil and i have seen other plants that have been grown using this soil and it has produced large yields and great bud. My problem currently is what nutes to give it. After the 2nd week when it goes into vegative growth and when it goes into flowering stage. Any help? I'm currently limited to Walmart, Home-Depot, and Lowes. Im also on a tight budget, anything cheap and effective is awesome!

10. Yes after about a week and a half to 2 weeks i will be transplanting them to the yellow and red pots. Ill be sure to hold off on the food until about week 3, but wouldn't it be better to give the plant food to grow? Instead of giving it enough food to survive?

These are my goals, to grow atleast one female plant successfully, and performing the FIM cut so it will not grow too vertical and become more bushy. I might limit the plant to only the red and yellow pots so it becomes stunted. I dont want a MONSTER on my patio haha!

Any extra advice would be awesome such as, sunlight, watering, etc.

11. Every plant is different, I've learned over my grow... So time tables are only a guideline for healthy plants. When u get a nice healthy plant (good roots, sturdy stalk).. You want that main stem to go from a whimsy end of leaf stem to a woody sturdy treelike stalk. This obvious isn't gonna happen right away. But yeah I'm rambling 3 weeks should be good. I'm subscribed to your thread so ill keep an eye for more pics. Good luck.

12. I've also used eBay to buy nutes. Good prices and brands that are good. Also some sellers sell 2oz , 4oz of the trio for small grows. I bought 2 oz of fox farm trio plus the soluble powder nutes as well as 2 oz of the flush , microbe , and root formula for 19.99. I'm also looking at getting a higher powered light for my cab off eBay.

13. You're probably going to need larger pots if you plan on growing the whole outdoor season, even if its only 3 gallons. You don't want it to be so root bound that it dies. Those will be fine for now though.

Waiting until they show signs of deficiency is just for the first feeding so that you don't feed them too early and kill them. Your goals are realistic though, you should be fine. I'll be following along though I usually don't post much in journals. Good luck man

14. If you are hell-bent on using the MG, then you'll need to do your homework and find out what the levels and release time is of the soil.

Once you have that you can start doing the math for each feeding and flush. It's not impossible, just more work.

During the grow (veg) stage you'll want to focus on the Nitrogen (N) of the (N)-(P)-(K) ranges.

Remember a 4-2-2 mix is the same as a 1-0-0, but just stronger. As for the quantity you'll need to watch your PPM when you feed/water. Start light (100-200ppm) and then increase 100ppm each feeding.

Your plant will tell you when it's too strong, you'll see mute burn and then back-off. Depending on the strain that could be (600-1100ppm). Never go above 1400ppm.

-FragileBob

15. Im sure to buy fox farms trio of nutes on the next grow, hopefully your still around and give me links of what to use haha. The pics will be sure to come once the seedling shows. Whats the flush and microbe?

I had another question... When does the vegative stage start? and the Flowering stage?

And correct my if i'm wrong, The FIM cut is at the 4th node? Any advice on how to do it would be awesome!

16. I have a few big pots il be sure to post some pictures of them when i get the chance, about when would it be the time to transplant them to a bigger pot? What would the signs of deficiency be? Do i really have to wait until i see signs or can i just start feeding them at about week 3?

17. Usually can't go wrong with FoxFarms... Lots of love here on the forums for them.

A flush is simply what it sounds like. You flood the soil and let it drain. This clears the soil of salts, Nutes, and impurities. Usually it's roughly twice the amount of water as the pot size (1gal pot = 2gal flush), (3gal pot = 6gal flush)

Microbes are natural in the soil. Google them for a better description.

Start light Nutes right away... but do the math with the MG slow release. Don't over nute!

-FragileBob

18. I guess i do have more work, how would i figure out how much to feed the plants? I am growing outside mate, not inside.

Look at what i found while surfing the web.

"Miracle-Gro Moisture Controlled Potting Mix is peat moss, perlite, compost (grass & leave clippings), coir, Miracle-Gro Continuous Released Fertilizer, and Micromax. The coir is what gives it the "moisture control" abilities. The Miracle-Gro Continuous Release fertilizer should have NPK ratio of 21-7-14 and it will perform similar to other nutrients with 3-1-2 ratios. When it's sold by itself, it's marketed to last three months. Micromax is Scott's time released micro nutrient supplement. When it's sold by itself the label say it lasts 16-18 months. All in all, you have a potting soil that should feed for 4-6 months.

There is nothing weird or scary in Miracle-Gro. The nitrogen in the fertilizer is made from nitric nitrogen and ammoniacal nitrogen. Compare this to Advanced Nutrients. Guess what they use for nitrogen in their Sensi Grow A & B bottles: nitric nitrogen, ammoniacal nitrogen, and urea. It's the exact same stuff, but AN adds urea for some reason and MG doesn't. You know who else uses this stuff? Dyna Gro! And just like MG they also leave out urea.

For those that don't already know, nitric and ammoniacal nitrogen are considered the good stuff, urea is the cheap stuff that burns easily and needs to be broken down first before it can be taken up by the plant's roots. Why MG doesn't use it and AN does beats me. Actually, my personal opinion is that AN is just trying to bump up their NPK ratio so the N comes out as an even number. Without the urea the N would equal 4.8%, with urea it equals 5%.

In case your wondering about phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K) you'll be happy to know that all three companies use phosphorus pentoxide (listed as P2O5 on the bottle) and potassium oxide aka "soluble potash."

In short, Advanced Nutrients likes to use a 5-2-5 formula, Miracle-Gro uses the traditional 3-1-2 ratio. Dyno-Gro uses a 7-9-5 formula, which other then concentration, is very similar to MG. HA! Bet you didn't see that one coming.

So go ahead. Use your potting mix. Watch the plant and don't add any additional nutrients until you see that it needs it. IF you need to add more fertilizer, my opinion is to stick with a slow release formula that's similar to what is already in the mix. "

Would the Miracle-Gro All Purpose be the similar formula?

Again what would the signs of it needing fert be?

19. There's no set time on when to transplant, just when the plant starts to get bigger. It'll be pretty obvious when its time when you compare pot size to how large the plant is. There are a ton of different signs for different deficiencies, best thing to do is look up all the different deficiencies. I think there are some guides on here that show a lot of them. Also you don't HAVE to wait to feed them, its just to make sure that you don't overfeed them. Just make sure that its plenty diluted

20. The set time to move your plants is when the tap root (main root) reaches the bottom of the cup/pot whatever... That's why out door plants grow so tall ... They only need water and light. No container limitations. So if u can I drill a large hole in the bottom of a cup them use a mon stick film to cover air tight and tape around this way u can poke holes to see root development. That's also why they say use a large pot for auto flowers cuz once the tap root hits the bottom it goes to flower. Also don't over analyZe KISS (keep it simple stupid) is always a good thought when they first are starting. This is a critical time in the plants life and you don't want to over do it when simply doing nothing is the cure. :)