Reggae music?? anyone??

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Lil' Fink, Dec 17, 2008.

1. I am a man of many influences.

But reggae always did it for me..

maybe not what most would consider reggae..

but hey..

I grew listening to tom petty, tha stones, beatles, bowie, zz top, doors, all that rock n roll my dad had me doin.

Then i got into punk rock when i started playing guitar.

then like.. things changed with me.. i started smokin a grip and listening to rap.

cause punkers talk about like, beer and crack..

rappers do like, weed and money.

not new club shit.

olde school.

bone, biggie, pac, wutang, brotha lynch, eZe, too short.

then sublime and bob marley came

and i picked up me guitar again.

doin reggae covers, mixed with olde school punk, and styled like tha gangsters do.

oh man..

then came mac dre, at the best time.

so... thats a lil of my music history.

how about tha rest of you?

how did music develop within you?

introduce youSELFS

2. Almost nothing better than a fat reggae bass line and some soulful lyrics to brighten up the mood.

Anyways... as to how my musical tastes have developed:

I heard a lot of Clapton, ZZ Top, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Allman Brothers, etc. growing up... my dad is a musician and was in a country-jam-bluegrass band back in the 60's.

I started listening to rap and hip hop as a young kid... but grew apart from that as a teenager. The band that really changed my perspective on music was 311. They made me want to hear more and more alternative rock and such.

My love of 311 led me to find many many different styles of music... including Reggae, funk, jazz...

After playing music for a few years (bass and guitar), my musical tastes have developed to include lots of other stuff.

Now, I'm into lots of stuff -- oldies, new stuff, jam bands, Andy McKee, anything that brings pleasure to my ears.... I don't discriminate like I once did.

3. good shit man. i feel 311 got you tha same way sublime got me.

big 311 fan here too.

but yeah.

muh dad has this like... closet FULL of ol rock vinyls from tommy P to Dylan to willie nelson, to jamie brocket and tha legend of the U.S.S. titanic (lemme know if youve heard thizz track) to all that shit. a whole closet of 500+ albums of all sorts.

and rap. you know. my older brothers got into it and i recognized beats from bone and pac when i grew up, and started real big on it.

poetic types of rap.

as far as im concerned, tupac was a prophet and only spoke truths.

most of my influences come from soulful, heavy, and relevant lyrics.

and gooooood music.

good guitar.

i wanna get big one day. as a guitarist and (if my voice isnt as bad as i heard it on record) a lyricist, i just wish i could find musicians with my same tastes and ambition.. but shit..

how often do people get they're cake AND eat it too riiiight?

4. but.. oh yeah.. tha whole point of thizz thread i spose..

Reggae. In AZ, when its winter and we get no snow, but its still cold.. and it sprinkles rain in tha mornin.

nothing better than settin a boombox out on ur porch, getting a lil nug of chron and ur best bong and watchin tha sights and enjoying the uncharacteristically cold wether for ur side to a good reggae set, whether sublime or 311 or diego or stoopid or tosh or all that, and a nice good wake n bake.

makes your whole day mellow mooded out.

5. mellllllow haha I have some wonderful reggae jamss. For awhile more traditional/root/funky rockers type music. Soundtrack to the movie rockers, soundtrack to the harder they come, some bob marley, and this guy from AFrica called Ganja Minister my friend had a tape of.

Started to branch out, checked out dub, got semi-deep into dub, and been chillin ever since. Listening to some Lone Ranger right now, but man I've got plenty of tasty reggae grooves.

6. oh man.. you ever heard tha reggae version of dark side of the moon? i believe its by the... phukk im sorry im a lil drunk and cant think of the name, but i believe they call themselves the reggae dub allstars or somethin like that??

They call it, "Dub side of the moon"

if you havent, ill try to get it to you.

i dont think you can download it outta limewire or whatever, but its worth a shot, they may be a bit under, but my friend saw them live and got a REAL good CD off of them.

Think.. Dark side of the moon.. but.. reggae styleeeeee.

7. Man, I know exactly what you are talking about, I have it!!! The 'Money' cover with bong toke beat is so sweet ahaha

8. HAHA RIIIIIGHT???

i woke up this morning and some local kid calls me up and is like "hey... wanna hang out and smoke??" so of course im like "lets do this" i get up and put on tha CD.

I take my first gravity bong hit RIGHT as the dub side's money peaks and begins.

im so glad i made this connection.

THAT

SHIT

IZ

MUH MIXED

JAMMM.

9. hahaha I feel guilty I think I like it better than the actual Floyd :rolleyes:

10. I understand man.. .

its a great new take on an old classic.

but i go see the pink floyd laser spectacular, on a psychedelic drug, every year it comes by.

it would have never been without the original, and same goes for a lot of musical talents..

but man.

pinkfloyd.. and reggae?

how more herbal oriented can you be?

11. Ha no doubt, gotta respect the originators! But it is the perfect smokin music. I was listening to it smoking in the Dominican Republic this summer, granted on some bammer island weed, but it was still the shit.

I still gotta hit up the local lasershow I hear it is hella good. Everyone keeps tellin me don't know what I'm waitin for ahaha

12. man. ive seen the laser show twice now, and ive decided to make it ritual for me.

best visuals to music EVER.

but shit, dominican? i dont get around... EVER.

stuck in AZ USA my whole life... but i hope to travel.

i wanna spend some time with monks in like.. tibet or sumthin u know?

learn some crazy martial arts, but more importantly, learn about peace of mind and spirit.

i feel like i have this huge capacity for knowledge, but nothing round here satisfies it.. bein in a conservative state in a misdirected powerhouse of a country...

digg?

13. as i think about it...

a better way to put it is.. much to offer, but much to learn still.

14. Its by the Easy Star Allstars.

15. first music i was into was the beattles

then james brown

then bad dance hip hop

then crappy whiny rock like Lincoln park

then it was coldplay and that stuff

then nirvana and red hot chili peppers

now its a little of everything

16. I love reggae. A few personal favorites of mine:

Burning Spear - Door Peep Shall Not Enter (Door Peeper)
    King Tubby - Earl Zero Righteous Dub
    Capital Letters - Smoking My Ganja
    Horace Andy - Gunshot
    Linval Thompson - I Love Marijuana
    Max Romeo & Glen Adams - Jordan River
    Aswad - Ethiopian Rhapsody
    Dr. Alimantado - Gimmie My Gun
    Desmond Dekker - Fu Man Chu
    The Abyssinians - Declaration of Rights
    Jah Shaka - Kingdom Dub/Deliverance Dub
    The Gladiators - Music Makers From Jamaica
    The Gladiators - Soul rebel

Most of them can be heard on YouTube, check em out while enjoying a spliff ;)

17. #17 Peacefullbuddah, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
    Here's some good reggae songs ... The first song is by the abyssinians . I think the second song is by steel pulse ... but I'm not positive .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHUuEut_WfU"]YouTube - 6-The Abyssinians - The Good Lord[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_qN0x1uHsU"]YouTube - higher than high**[/ame]

18. Reggae the ultimate feel good music
    Rasta dread head love baby

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. Ya reggae when I first listened I was having the best time of my life for 2 weeks.

20. Check out macka b