Refrigerator stealth grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kushriddim, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hey guys. Was hoping to get some opinions. I am planning my first grow. I was considering gutting a 20cf fridge that I have in storage. I am planning on possibly using the freezer on top for my veg box, and the fridge below for flowering. My concern is heat. With the box being well insulated, will it be possible to move the air out regularly while keeping it quiet? Also, would I be better off running cfl in this set up or will hps be ok. I don't want to bother with any smaller of a grow. My wife and I burn about 4 ozs a month so a pc or somethin will be a waste of my time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. I may end up going led if the pros outweigh the cons.

3. hey man sounds good this could help point you in the right direction.
    How to Convert a Fridge Into a Grow Box | eHow.com

ive seen one with freezer as veg and fridge as flower and he had a 400w hps in the flower chamber.
    i think he used the fridge in workin order to help temps.
    gl bud hope it works out

4. There is a thread somewhere on grass city by a guy growing in a frig. He has done at least 2 harvests that I know of. He had it pretty dialed in. Search for it. Will help you out. Worked good for him

5. hmm I ran a couple runs in a mini fridge before i took insulation out and I can tell you that heat is a big issue there too insulted, i would gut but it takes forever ,but your temps will drop alot. Like 10 degrees

6. Some pictures would be nice. I would love to see how you setup your grow?

7. I am strongly considering Led due to the heat issue and energy savings. Maybe I will do a journal and see how things go. What would be a good budget for a box like this going led and hydro

8. i dont think that you can do a low budget led grow they aint cheap lol
    and not very effective imo

9. #9 SlyPolak, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
    I hope D doesnt mind.....

http://forum.grasscity.com/stash-jar/655789-what-ya-smokin-tonight-748.html

btw, wouldnt it be cheaper/easier to just use a cabinet of some sorts.. dont have to gut, just paint and install

10. Check my sig :)

The freezer section will be too hot to use if it is on top no matter your airflow but the fridge definitely works! You will be limited to LED's and or CFL's.

11. I was considering running cfl up top for veg and possibly hps below. I was consider keeping the cooling system in tact for the fridge and run off a thermostat. The freezers cooling system would be non functional. You guys think that would work?