Refrigerator broke, call Landlord or replace myself?

Discussion in 'Security' started by wakinandbakin, Nov 18, 2011.

1. #1 wakinandbakin, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
    Like the title states, refrigerator stopped working. My options are to either 1. Call landlord and wait a few days to get a new one or 2. Spend 300-500 on new fridge and replace it myself. I cook probably 95% of my meals at home, so a working refrigerator is a very nice thing to have.

The kitchen is only about 10 feet from the front door and on the main floor. I can't think of any reason they'd need to go in the basement, but if they did that would be a big problem.

To this point, my landlord hasn't bothered me at all since I've been renting the house. I pay my rent and have my space. With 6 or so plants in flower (along with adding walls/electrical/ventilation work), moving stuff is not a realistic option.

Any ideas/opinions/experience are appreciated. Toke on GC:smoke:

2. I would do it myself. You don't want landlords snooping around checking on their house. Plus it will show the landlord you can handle some things on your own. But that's just my opinion...

3. That's what I was leaning towards. Couple hundred dollars and its taken care of and no added risk to the grow.

4. Yeah, you can even spin it on your landlord and next time he/she calls you can tell em you took care of it. you might get some real life rep haha :D

5. It really depends on your lease - read it carefully - did the Refrigerator come with the apartment and is it covered in the lease? If so you MUST call the landlord in order to remain compliant with your lease. If not, if it's your responsibility then replace it yourself.

BUT as I said, read your lease.

6. When I was renting a house...if something would go wrong I'd fix it/replace it and then let the landlord know I was taking it out of my rent. I'm not sure how cool your landlord is but I assume if having him take care of it is one of your options, he will be equally okay with you taking it out of your rent and just giving him the receipt.

7. Take this guys advice, I didn't know the lease determined everything. this is information to me now though thanks :D

8. The fridge came with the house. I've looked over the lease several times and there is no mention of appliances. Probably going to wait a week or so and shop around, if I can't find a good deal, I'll just pick one up locally. I've found the exact same model for sale locally, same color trim and everything.

9. I wish I could bring myself to do 95% of my meals myself. I bet that saves so much money

10. ramin + dolar menu = win

11. Depending on how long you have to go you could always just mini-fridge it up for awhile :D

12. I'm sorry I dont understand, if the fridge is covered in the list you "MUST" call the landlord? Even if it was covered, would it be illegal to take care of it yourself?

13. #13 BadKittySmiles, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
    If it came with the apartment or house and it doesn't specify in the lease one way or another whether or not the appliances are your responsibility, then it's your landlords property that he's renting to you, included in the overall total of your monthly rent payment.

He needs to be alerted regardless whether or not you want to pay to replace it yourself, otherwise you would very probably be violating your lease by doing so (and when you leave, are you going to be leaving behind your investment? You need to think about these things in the long-term). If he lets you replace it, then he will either need to reimburse you, or the cost of the replacement should be deducted from your next months rent.

Once you leave, and it's not the fridge he remembers having, even you're leaving it behind at a loss, and even if it's valued higher than the one you replaced, it can potentially cause issues/headache.

Best to do the responsible thing. :)

PS - Your landlord has no right to inspect your house without notice, so he should not need access to your basement just to replace a refrigerator, unless the new fridge (once, or repeatedly) shorts out the circuit after installation, and that's where the box is...
    However, he does have the right to inspect your property whenever he wants, if he gives you 24hrs to a weeks notice, depending on the laws where you're living. If you have something in your basement you shouldn't, you should have it surrounded by personal belongings or storage.

14. Screw that, it seems as if the "responsible thing" will get you caught, I truely do not see what is wrong with replacing the fridge, just make it the same model it was. Even if its not the same model I don't see how getting a completely new fridge would be a problem. But even if you had to have your landlord come why would he come to the basement? "Oh your fridge needs replacing? You growing cannabis in your basement?" lol

15. Yeah, BKS has the right information.

FYI I worked in Commercial and Residential Property Management - thus the knowledge of the LEASE

16. But the question is, what is the reason behind it. WHY would it be bad if someone just replaced their fridge and not tell their landlord?

17. Is it a long term lease??? Either way you need to let him know and not worth it on your expense. Move the plants for the day and let the landlord take care of it.

18. Because it's THEIR property, not yours to replace. If it came with the apartment it needs to stay with the apartment, and if it breaks it's the landlords' responsibility to fix it. IF you fix it without their knowledge you don't get to take the cost of repair out of your rent without permission. If you replace it, you don't get to take it with you.

19. I'm strictly speaking as it relates to NOT getting caught though. You guys are just thinking about the reimbursement lol. I understand that you cannot take it with you. Well I would do what others suggest and just move the plants or hope for the best. Good luck!

20. Here's my thinking; if you're growing in a rental, even if it's taking up half the basement or the majority of a bedroom, it should be done in such a way that if there is an emergency or a random inspection, that a person can be inside that room and not see what you're doing. A refrigerator breaking down is the least of your worries, what if your apartment or house floods, or if you just have a nosy landlord in general, who decides to take an 'innocent' :rolleyes: (but very illegal) poke around your property, while you're not home.

There are ways to be discreet and uphold your tenant responsibilities, if you're creative, and put a little thought into it. :)