Refridgeratorr blocking internet signal?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by greenflier, Jul 15, 2011.

1. So we just got a new fridge and if I'm in the kitchen I can't connect to our router but if I'm in my room(opposite direction) I get perfect connection. I'm guessing it may be an electrical frequency or something that is coming from the fridge. This is really pissing my off because connected to the kitchen is our tv and couch and that's where all my laziness happens and I can't connect to the Internet. This happens with all devices too, phones, xbox, laptops.

Do any of you guys have a suggestion on how to fix this?

2. If that's really the problem, using your router (assuming DSL?) with a different phone outlet may give you a bit more 'mobility' with your connection, if it's positioned someplace that doesn't cross paths much with the fridge and your wireless devices. Try plugging it into another bedroom, the lounge or den etc.

3. If i could move it I would, but its in a room with some desktop computers that we can't put anywhere else and need a hardwired connection.

4. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WG111-Wireless-Adapter-Mbps/dp/B0001LS0ZU]Amazon.com: NETGEAR WG111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (54 Mbps): Electronics[/ame]

$14.00 to make your desktops wireless.. cheaper on ebay. :)

5. If it's too bad then this might not help, especially since your description is interference from electronics in general and not other RF transmitters.

But you can try logging into your router's web interface and configuring the wireless settings. You might be able to try several different transmission channels and on some routers even change the signal strength.

Sample of where you might change the Wireless Channel and other transmission settings: http://support.dlink.com/emulators/wbr2310/wireless.htm

6. Good advice here. Also if your close enough and your router supports it, try using the 5 ghz band. You really do have to be quite close to the router though.

7. I lose connection on one floor of my house whenever I turn on the microwave. Fuck popcorn!