Reflective material and soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rahamaker, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Hey!
    I've some questions about growing - will this material (bought from the local store, which sells everything; it's suppoused to be a camping mattress and it's about 3 mms thick) reflect light properly enough in a 22cm wide/ 40cm long and 60cm tall PC grow box?
    Here's a picture of the material - [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is it okay to use soil (+ perlite) that has nutrients in it from the start to the last phase of growing?
    Soil's NPK levels - [​IMG]

Please notice that this will be my first grow and all your suggestions are more than welcome.

~Cheers

2. Hi,

I do not know about your first question, but you could always use white printer paper instead. For soil, there are organic soil that contain nutrients throughout a plants whole life with watering, there are soil that contain organic nutrients like Fox Farm that last for 1 month or so to get you started, then there is miracle grow and time released nutrients which are bad for your plants as you can not control feeding and the problem is exacerbated as you try to flush the issue caused by time release. 

I'm a NOOB but this is what I've read , hope it helps

3. Yeah I kind of asked if my current soil was any good. Thanks for your post though.

4. Those are the choices of soil you have, so which one is your soil? Time release, organic or nutes that will last 1 month?

5. I don't think that reflective material will be good enough. If it's what I think it is it only reflects when the light source is directly near it...everywhere else is dark.

Like the poster above said....what material is it made out of. And also what type of lights are you using?

6. Hi. Thank you for your response. I've no idea what material is it made out of, doesn't feel like plain foil though. I will be using 1x 21W (4000K cool white) CFL and 1x 33W (2700K warm white) CFL. Any thoughts?

7. Hi. It says it's organic, on the front side it basically says "Universal soil for outdoor plants", the reason I bought it was the fact that this one was the closest I could find (closest NPK ratio). Should I switch this soil for something different? 

8. Hi. Thank you for answering. I do know mylar is the best but local hardware stores didn't sell it so I bought this as it looked like it could reflect. How exactly does perlite washing help me to get nutes out of the soil (as I haven't mixed perlite and the soil yet, they're in 2 different bags)?

9. I will, thanks. Got the mattress (180x60) for 3 dollars. I bought the soil because it had more N than P and K as I read it needs more N in the beginning than. Am I wrong?