Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Reefers?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by shroomeryguy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. The only time i've heard this word was in a old movie called touch of evil. Does anyone on here know anyone who calls weed reefers?

2. Reefer, no s.

All of us in NJ in the late 70's early 80's called it reefer, pot, or weed. and a pothead was just a seasoned toker, so not derogatory in any way.

Sammy

3. And furthermore, Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all four of them habitually smoked marijuana cigarettes... reefers.

4. quote for truth! :smoking:

5. I do. But I'm an old guy. :)

6. We'll yeah but that was made a long time ago.

7. People stilled called it 'reefer' sometimes when I was a teen, but that was back in the 70's and 80's.

8. Hah, my friends and I still call it reefer... it's a fuckin' awesome word.

9. The term was popular in the 70's in the north east of the USA

10. Way earlier than that. Check this out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTUNMJzPbIU]YouTube - Cab Calloway - Reefer Man[/ame]

11. hell yer i call it a reefer some times other words i use=
    doob
    zoot
    spliff
    reefer
    joint

12. Yeah man, all my mates do. In Europe is more common i think.:smoking:

13. I love that song.

Some news outlets that are unfamiliar with the truth about Cannabis will sometimes use "Reefers" instead of "Joints." There was a story that came out, recently, from an anti-Cannabis news source that claimed a man in Wales died from smoking too much weed; he smoked "25,000 reefers" over the course of his life.
    I've seen it elsewhere, in other news stories.
    As far as actual smokers, I've heard "Reefer" used but not "Reefers."

14. Yeah, same here. I haven't heard anyone say reefer with a straight face since about 1980. That was one of the original words left over from jazz musicians in the '30s and '40s. Heard it a lot in the '70s from the older heads.

15. It's Cannabis. Just Cannabis.

If you MUST use slang, a "reefer" is a marijuana cigarette (containing tobacco)
    AKA, dube or blunt.

A joint however, is only marijuana and no tobacco :p

16. Agreed. I don't like calling it marijuana, and I hate when people think marijuana is its true name. It's really cannabis.

17. Ok, then I expect you'll call tomatoes Solanum lycopersicum from now on, since that's their 'true' name :rolleyes:

18. No. But I do rather enjoy calling polar bears Ursus Maritimus. :p
    My point was marijuana is not the true name of the plant, but some people not part of the culture think it is and call it marijuana.

19. I got your point. I tend to call it cannabis as well, but I'm also a breeder/grower. I have no problems with people calling it marijuana.

Remember, all names are made up at one point or another ;)