Reducing stretch?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by pun650, Aug 15, 2012.

1. #1 pun650, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    Unfortunately timed vacay to Cuba has left me with 3 ft plants in a 6'4" tent, before even switching to 12/12

Switching at the end of the week, trying to minimize the 'stretch'

Supercropped tallest "main". Been reading some people do pruning the first couple weeks to try to stop some of the stretch.

I'm sure lots of ppl have ran out of vertical space... What do you do?

2. why on earth would you let them get so tall in veg??? there's little you can do to stop the stretch that comes in early flower. there is one product i used a few years back that worked pretty well though. do some research on a supplement called "bushmaster." if i remember correctly, it's made by a company named "humbolt." only used it once, so i don't have a lot of experiences to share with you. i also remember using way less than the suggested dosage.

3. trim/ supercrop down to 1.5-2 feet. than give one week veg to repair, then flower.

4. Sounds like you have been using a red light(Hps), most guys veg in a blue light(Mh) for this very reason, unless it's a strain specific thing?

peace
    "V"

5. [quote name='"vostok"']

Sounds like you have been using a red light(Hps), most guys veg in a blue light(Mh) for this very reason, unless it's a strain specific thing?

peace
    "V"[/quote]

Did use a 400w hps from seed, but this is from 3 months of veg. Their very sturdy healthy plants.

Currently under a 600w mh, and a 400w hps. Temps 83-84. All super cropped an just recovering. First bloom nutes given today on its 3rd day of flowering.

6. do what warfrat said, Chop the hell out of them and give them a week or two to recover under the MH. then flower as normal. You will end up with some straight bushes.

Save any cuttings for for clones.

Cuba huh, ive never been, but I heard it is a shining example of the benefits of capitalism.....

7. Phosphoload or Bushmaster will freeze them right up. Both pretty hardcore, dont overdo it. If you want a magic solution, that's it.

Only other thing that comes to mind is if they are waaay too tall you let them get soft, top them, and bend them down and tie the top to the stalk, but in a tent that might pose the opposite problem of horizontal room.

8. This is a curve ball and many will give many reasons as to why NOT to do this, but reecently ive read in UK for landrace sativas (plants that grow 4-5ft 12/12 from seed) they veg in a smaller pot, 1gal or less, and then 2 weeks into 12/12 transplant to 3gal+.

Therefor try switching to 12/12, give her 4-6 days for the hormones to convert, and repot them, this will slow down vertical growth but should do no damage to bud development.

Again I haven't done this myself, but I plan on doing it my next go of Neville's Haze

9. [quote name='"AnHonestUpset"']This is a curve ball and many will give many reasons as to why NOT to do this, but reecently ive read in UK for landrace sativas (plants that grow 4-5ft 12/12 from seed) they veg in a smaller pot, 1gal or less, and then 2 weeks into 12/12 transplant to 3gal+.

Therefor try switching to 12/12, give her 4-6 days for the hormones to convert, and repot them, this will slow down vertical growth but should do no damage to bud development.

Again I haven't done this myself, but I plan on doing it my next go of Neville's Haze[/quote]

Transplanted them 3ish days before switching to 12/12. It's not been 10 days since switching. Done some more reading about the strains I have, all either 100% indica, or close to it. Easing my worries.

I guess the next 2 weeks will tell eh.