Red, Yellow and Green...

Discussion in 'General' started by sandiniste, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Hey there!
    I was wondering why red, yellow and green are always the colours associated with Jamaica. You know..... you always see these guys with wristbands these colours or a keychain with the three colours and a pot leaf or in a Sean Paul video. I find this odd because the jamaicain flag doesn't even have any red on it.
    I don't know if you've noticed this too, but it seems those colours are also associated with weed and Mr. Marley. Just wanted to know where this comes from.

2. Well...how much time do you have? I could write for hours on this, it's a good topic.

I'll try to make it short though. Basically, Bob Marley in particular and a lot of Jamaican reggae artists are followers of Rastafari. If you don't know about this religion, I could help you out, but the color thing:

The colors are not from the Jamaican flag, you're right. They're from the original Ethiopian flag under His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie Jah Rastafari, the Emperor of Ethiopia in the beginning of the 20th century. Rastas believe that he was the second coming of Jesus, or in the words of Peter Tosh, "we know and we understand, Almighty God is a living man".

The colors as part of the Ethiopian flag stand for things important to African people. Green is for the lush vegetation of Africa. Gold is for the treasures that Africa was exploited for. Red is for the blood of so many Africans shed in the name of oppression over the years.

This is a favorite topic of mine, hope it helped, ask more if you want.

3. i bought a bracelet in jamaica a couple years ago with yellow black green and red...........a jamaican guy told me that yellow was for the sun.....black for the people......green for the grass and red for the fruit...........i dont know how true that is but thats what i heard..........

4. I mean, it's very subjective, they can mean different things to different guys...As long as it's about what's important to the African people. One love!

5. Ok thanks.
    G-rock, are you a rastafarian? Could you tell us more about the religion? I find that a lot of people juge quickly without knowing anything about them and their culture. Please inform us!