Red stems, curled down, spots.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ProdigalSun, Feb 27, 2013.

1. #1 ProdigalSun, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    I have 3 little plants going, and I'm having some issues. They are in 1 gallon pots. Just in case, I ran a gallon of fish tank water through each last night. I have to use the aquarium water because sometimes the tap water smells like chlorine, and I wont put it on the plants.

Red stems, spotting on one of the plants, and leaves curling down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

topped at second node

[​IMG]

2. #2 ProdigalSun, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    It's Great White Shark, I think. Im using 4100k flourescents, 340w.it's about 80*F, soil is about 75*F. It's a mix from the garden store, peat and perlite I think. PH tested normal. I have great airflow.

Im concerned that if I flush the pots, the roots will suffer, the dirt has only been dry enough to water one time.

3. It's temporary. It's trying to find a snack in that new dirt. Flushing is actually bad for plants, most people don't know that. Wet the soil, normal amount, let it figure itself out. The purpling will return to normal. If you use nutes in your water, start really small.

You pull the top off of that tiny plant? the 'V' shape is missing it's upper node.

4. Yes, I wanted to see what happened if I topped it really low. I only grew one plant over a decade ago, and topped it after node 7. I was hoping to keep it low and bushy.

5. Oh. Sometimes topping in the first couple of weeks really screws up a plant. Takes a week or more for the plant to re-produce those auxins for lateral plant growth. They 'stall'. Some die. Be careful with babies.

6. Shit, glad I didnt do taht to all of them. :eek:

Nice thread BTW.

7. #7 ProdigalSun, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
    I didnt change anything today, but they are now a very dark green color. Still with the red stems.

The topped plant does show new growth, two little nubs starting to grow in the place of the top.

[​IMG]

8. Soil looks dry

9. Good observation, but after running that gallon through, I added an inch of dry
    soil from the bag hoping to help lessen the water saturation a bit.