Red/purple seedling stems

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by aminus, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I have two seedlings growing in coco right now (link in my sig) and I noticed that they have red/purple stems. I was entirely unconcerned until I thought about it, and I've really noticed anyone posting pictures of seedlings with stems this color. They have been that color since they sprouted. My first thought was P deficiency but they are only 5ish days old which seems early for deficiencies to start.

Anyone able to reassure me? Right now I just won't worry about it, and see what happens, but if anyone can fill me in that would be fantastic.

2. It is completely normal for different strains to show reddish/purplish colors in their stems and petioles when they are young seedlings. Some people believe this to be a way of sexing at an early age. I myself have tested this theory, and I've found like 80% of seedlings that show these colors develop into females. About 15-20% of plants that don't show these colors develop into females. These are just my own finding after sprouting 75-100 seeds. Hope this helps;)

3. Unbelievably helpful man. Thanks a whole lot. :hello: