Red Mylar reflective film

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by blackbeard2012, Apr 3, 2011.

1. has anyone tried this stuff for flowering

2. iv'e seen it in blue also (for vegging)

3. Never seen it, but from my knowledge of how light works and how we see it i'm pretty sure it would actually be worse for your plants right?

We see things as the color red because they absorb every other spectrum of light, and reflect only what we see them as? So a Red shirt absorbs light, and only reflects red light waves back at us?

This seems like it would be much worse... it in no way is giving you MORE red light... but its actually absorbing you're light and ONLY reflect what red it was given. Idk if that makes any sense but from my knowledge that's how it would work... seems to me like if anything it would steal light rather than give them "more". This is why everyone i've ever seen says use a white paint if you can't use mylar, white absorbs none of the color spectrum and reflects them all.. (most reflective)

4. I just noticed it being sold in grow shops.

5. Yeah i haven't seen in yet, but I'm fairly certain it would have a small negative affect if it had one.... Anyone else know or like to chime in?

6. I'll just stick to the heavy duty regular stuff.

7. Please correct me if i am wrong, but I think I heard somewhere on here about an experiment with red reflective film giving the light a quality of the season ending, so if you changed it to red lighting at the end of your harvest it could trick your plants into thinking harvest is ending, making the plant give another big push for the buds.

8. #8 Snugglebandit, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011
    Ya I agree with tmble...from what I know, the color of something comes from absorbing that color of light and reflecting all others. So red reflective film would actually absorb all red light and blue would absorb all blue light. However there could be a more scientific explanation to why this would work. I don't know what it could be, because that would go against what I have learned.

Just like tmble said though, and if we are right, it could have a small negative affect on your grow.

9. I thinking it is reflecting red only which looks cool but if you think about it ,that's not the best for the plant your letting all the other usable spectrum that your plant can use ,get absorbed by the red filter on the mylar film. You Would do better to use regular mylar to reflect all light to the plant.

10. u talking about this stuff [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hygloss-61201-Mylar-film-Red/dp/B003838X5U]Hygloss Mylar film- Red: Amazon.co.uk: Welcome[/ame]