Red mites in worm bin

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GroBuddy, Jun 12, 2021.

1. #1 GroBuddy, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    I went as far back as 2013 on here and couldn't really find any relative information, I know it's here just hard to keep skimming through stuff I don't need for the little bit of info I do need. Red mites appear to be in my bin, small red or brown dots eggs galore. Spring tales and a couple other organisms which are fine as well. From my limited understanding red mites can attack worms? I've let my bin become fairly dry and haven't fed in about a week and a half trying to diminish the red mites population. But in doing this I also seem to be weakening the entire ecosystem I've been trying to build. I've also removed alot of the top contaminated with eggs and placed a piece of bread allowing the mites to cover it before removing them. Am I over reacting to the abundance of red mites if not is there a better way to remove them without effecting the rest of the bin? I've caught one have to wait for it to die before I can catch a pic. Alright so apologies about my pics clarity. As I was looking at the one caught another appeared on the top of the bin.

Attached Files:

2. are these little buggers bright red, and do they scurry around quickly and seemingly with a purpose? i mean you observe them are they moving rapidly? if so they are likely what are called clover mites and are not to be confused with the red spider mite which is smaller and a duller reddish/orange iirc. there's also habitat to consider, red spider mites tend to spin webs and live on live foliage whereas the other arachnid, the clover mite, it more at home in the grass or compost pile which is where i too first discovered the ones in my pile. very bright red/red orange. bright!

clover mites are c!early visible, about the size of a pin head, and when observed they are pretty busy working in plain view. harmful spider mites are sap suckers and prefer to hide in the shadows and work their victims from the underside.

hths

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nah not bright red more dark red to brownish red

4. #4 GroBuddy, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Best pics I could take of them, last one with the blue background shows the best color

Attached Files:

5. two questions; do they have 4 pairs of legs, and do you see any sign of webbing anywhere on your plant? harmful spider mites will be underside of the leaves and around the branches and stems. the mites typically are not easily observable iirc. they look more like dirt imo.

if the perpetrator in question has 4 pairs of legs it's an arachnid, a spider mite. if it has 3 pairs of legs it is not a spider mite and is some other insect. that's the place to start. count the pairs of legs and determine how many body parts. a spider or a mite, has 4 pairs of legs, a head and an abdomen. all other insects will have 3 pairs of legs and three body parts; a head, a thorax, and an abdomen.

colors will vary based on location an environmental conditions. count the legs and the body parts. spray one with 90% iso and it will die so you can look at it with magnification (dont get iso on your plant or those parts too will die)

6. #6 GroBuddy, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    No plant they are in my worm bin. Can't tell how many legs they are too fast if I kill them they are to smashed to tell appears to be body and head 2 parts

Appears to be 8 legs smashed one tried to count it's nubs

Pics of eggs

Attached Files:

7. if they're living in that rotting morass i believe they are what are called oribitad mites, or soil mites. if correct they aren't going to harm your plants. double-check and verify.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 GroBuddy, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    There isn't any around my plants. I have a Vermicomposting worm bin that is where they are. I do have soil mites they are whiter in color.The red spider mites unlike the soil mites will attack red wigglers, that is my concern. The method I'm using with allowing the soil to dry and letting the mites cover food then remove the food with mites and eggs is working. I was just wondering from someone who uses a worm bin and has experienced this if I should be concerned if so how much and is there a way to remove the mites without allowing my bin to go dry and foodless as that's a big part of keeping the bin happy and thriving. With that said they could be oribatid mites I'm pretty inexperienced in using a worm bin

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. I think I found the information I need I appreciate the fed back bud. You made me look into other areas I hadn't yet involving those other mites

Mites are usually red or brown and enjoy wet bin conditions. ... Earthworm mites are small and are usually brown, reddish or somewhere in-between. They tend to concentrate near the edges and surfaces of the worm beds and around clusters of feed. They are not known for attacking the earthworms but do eat the worm's food.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I had a few round clusters of red mites in my bin after setting it up and the worms stayed away from them. I scooped the red circles out a few times and never saw them again. My bin was always getting water misted on it daily.