Red mites a week from harvest - treat or not?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by GreenFingeredNewbie, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm about a week from harvest and my 6 plants have turned up with red spider mites - not millions, about 16 seen over 6 six plants. I can't see any dusty little buggers on the underside of the leaves and this close to harvest I've a fair few yellow leaves anyway.

The question is, do I bother treating them and risk harming the plants this close to the end or do leave them and hope that its not a big infestation?

Any advice appreciated as I haven't come across this problem before.

2. While low numbers now the little beggars can multiply exponentially just so you know.
    Can ride it out and keep a really close eye on them or hit them with Spinosad.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the heads up but are they likely to keep multiplying during the drying phase or do they only feed on the living plant?
    Would a product like Spinosad be toxic to humans? In other words, do I have to wait through some half-life period until it degrades to nothing or rinse the plant after (worried about damaging the trichomes)?

4. The red mites are not as veracious as the russets or.... Living plants only. They'll all try and exit a drying plant.
    Spinosad is a biological agent not long lasting chemical poison.
    ==================================================
    Spinosad is a natural substance made by a soil bacterium that can be toxic to insects. It is a mixture of two chemicals called spinosyn A and spinosyn D. It is used to control a wide variety of pests. These include thrips, leafminers, spider mites, mosquitoes, ants, fruit flies and others.
    ==================================================

upload_2019-7-3_5-54-39.jpeg
    Captain Jack Dead Bug Brew is the one I use when needed. And yes I've used it as close as a week before harvest.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the help.
    Yeah I looked up the Spinosad stuff. Also checked out the idea of ladybirds but they are €40 for 25 and I'd have turn my grow room into a terranium to keep them alive by the looks of it!

Looks like I'd have to ship the Spinosad to where I live as there's no retailers listed online. I'll get it now and have it for the next grow but I think I may just hold out this time around and hope for the best. I don't see much evidence of damage that I can attribute to the mites. The stuff probably wouldn't get here in time to use anyway.

I made a few rookie mistakes, one of the plants is a bit root bound and I left it too long to get a PH meter and stunted the growth a little bit but hopefully I'll have some success.

I really appreciate the advice. I'll post photos of my haul post harvest if all goes well.

6. Get out the microscope and tweezers

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Got one of those cheap chinese electric microscopes but you'd need to have a surgeons hands to focus on anything clearly enough to tell clear bug egg from clear trichomes