Red Lava Rock

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 6raygp, May 8, 2013.

1. Would this product be safe for use and good for aeration/drainage?

[​IMG]
    Vigoro 0.5 cu. ft. Decorative Stone Red Lava Rock

I dont mind spending the extra money to get a similar "agriculture grade" product, would this be as good as pumice or perlite?(IMO probably better then perlite)

2. Not as good as pumice CEC wise, but it's a solid aeration amendment. The red comes from the iron (oxide?) in it.

You could probably source it cheaper via a landscape supplier, here it's somewhere around 15-20$ a cubic yard.

3. landscape supplier's best.... I use lava.. goes good with rice hulls
    It makes for a good microbe/fungi home, I smash it down to about dime size with a hand sledgehammer [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. I can find that outside where i live lol

5. I buy by the truck load from the PIT black or red works great and a little bit of straw too

6. Im loving the results with this rather then perlite. Worlds better IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 InternationalGreen, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
    How fine should I crush this stuff up? And would you guys approve of using this as a mulch just to help retain a constant level of moisture within the top layer of soil?

Thanks! I just pick up a bag of this stuff a couple days ago from Lowes

8. 1/2in down.. What size pot

• Like Like x 1
  9. I would put down a 1/2 in on the bottom and mix in about a 32oz cup with the soil and you will be happy.. 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey man, so I totally failed aat crushing the read lave rock!
    I put the bag in a pillow case an hit it with a hammer for maybe 5 minutes, to no avail.
    So my question is, how do you guys crush this stuff? I'm sure you don't use the rock regular sized right?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Whats the size? I get it by the truck load 3/4 minus 

• Like Like x 1
  12. The size of the lava rocks? About the size of walnuts most of them. There are some more fragmented pieces, but not enough in a the bag posted in the OP.
    On the plus side of me not being able to crush them, I think they'll make a great mulch and might go well in the bottom of your pots if you're into that..

• Like Like x 1
  13. I always put some in the pot then add more to my soil mix too

• Like Like x 1
  14. How do you add such big rocks to your soil mix?

15. i just bought some of these in pebble form n added it to my mix, hoping to see some result. Only ways ive read to crush em are sledge hammer or running them over

• Like Like x 1
  16. #17 GiMiK, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013

Take a small maul (sledge) and smash them. Take it on some concrete, or anything harder than what you're breaking, and just give it a good go. Otherwise, there's always perlite, rice hulls, recycled silica, and other means of providing aeration to the soil.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks Sir and Gimik.
    I literally hit the rock with a regular hammer for about 5-10 minutes and may have broken one of them!
    And I don't have a sledge so i'll have to get a hold of one.
    Until then I'll keep it in the reserves. And I am currently using perlite in my soil mix, but wanted to try an aeration amendment that wasn't totally inert, so I picked up some red lava rock.
    But thanks for for all you answers guys. Found what I was looking for!

If your looking for something that isn't inert I suggest finding hulls of any kind (Barley-Wheat-Rye-Rice), brew stores and such will carry them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #20 6raygp, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013

I set them in a pillow case in the street placed a piece of sheet metal down and had a friend run them over in his truck 2-3 times. Not so much green friendly but calorie conservative fasho. 

• Like Like x 1