Red Dragon and Power Flower Barneys Farm

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by justinthyme, Apr 29, 2010.

1. I am going to give as much detail as I can and will share just about any details folks want to know. This grow will be in addition to others currently running. I am 3 harvests deep in my growing experience. I grow for medical reasons and because I opt not to deal with drug dealers who don't know shit about weed, I am growing my own and different strains until I find the one thats right for me. I have my system finally tuned about as well as I can for now but if anyone has some advice pour it on, if you have any good idea for experiments im down for that too... so long as I can stay in my numbers.

So, I have grown with the Technaflora Recipe for Success and recently purchased the fox farm trio.
    Rooting Medium/ Germination Technique.
    I take my seeds and soak them in plain 0ppm water until they crack which typically takes 18-24 hours, haven't had anything that would, that didn't in that time frame. From there I take the seeds and pour them onto a peat pellet/jiffy pellet.
    I only have my personal experience as to why I do this, nothing that I can deem as a fact and no scientific reason as why this works, but I have had way better results with this method over the paper towel method and using rock wool cubes. I don't like the cubes. I've had good success with everything but the best with peat pellets. The other reason why I do this is because I treat seedlings just like cuttings and I put them in the same area. and I have a process that I use for determining flowering and veg times.

So once the seed has cracked I put it in the pellet about 1cm down and put it in the cupboard above my fridge until i see the cotyledons. then I let set out on my stove top where there is enough supplemental light to help it finish coming out of the shell. From there after about 3-5 days I take them and put them down with the clones and other veggies under 6500k 4" t8 bulbs.
    Once they show some decent root growth I take them and put them in a bubble tank, just a 5gallon shalow tote with 2 12" air-stones with a small 15w 4way air pump and and aeromist fogger, I also put clear plastic cups over them to maintain high humidity and to make sure it gets all the moisture that it wants, the cups aren't air tight so they allow good circulation and no suffocation. Because I have little experience and most of my grows have had extreme alterations to their environmental variables and I am still establishing a solid control, I can't say how well anything works until I experiment a bit more.

I like fogger systems. I think they produce a much nicer root system and overall plant than any other system. It could be genetics or luck or anything but the fogger, but root growth is fuckin ridiculous, if you do any kind of transplanting you have to really watch out. I will include some pics of the differences that the fogger has mad in my grows, its pretty amazing. I tried aero and I don't think that it offers any more benefits than the fog and hasn't produced the results but I don't feel that any one system does everything and I feel the best route is to have multiple systems for different stages.

So, I germinated the FP and RD 60 hrs ago. Started in pellets and I will be taking them to the veg room today.

once roots look established and theres good reason to transplant, I will be placing into 3" net cup with some hydro-ton and into the bubble fogger she will go.

I haven't decided whether or not im going to mother the RD or just take clones once she shows maturity. I am hoping to start flowering in 6 weeks.

The Flower power is from Barney's Farm and is an Auto Flowering Strain. Growing it out just to see. Nothing special about the plant to me other than I would like to see if I can clone it. If anyone has any info on this, as far as the why it would, could or should/n't work that would be awesome. It is my hypothesis that the auto-flowering is going to be easy to Hermie... if so then I will have a nice plot of seeds for next summer... :D

Once they reach flowering stage I put them under 6 26w CFL's mixed spectrum at 4 2700k and 2 6500 k. They will stay here for 2 weeks while I do the final trim and prune and get everything ready for a good LST, once again all methods are subject to change but I assume what I will be doing from week to week and what methods I will try. My objective is to leave no bud left behind or in the shade. As a medical grower I AM LIMITED by the amount of plants that I can have. A total of 24 between my wife and I. I smoke for pain and pleasure and she smokes for insomnia and general pain. So it is important to increase my yield.

Eventually, and here shortly I will be growing 6 strains, 4 plants at a time and hopefully harvesting every 2 weeks. I was going to do 12 strains and harvest 2 plants every week but thats just too much work with my grow room.

Grow Room Size. I have a 4x3x6 laying horizontally where I clone and veg under 4 t8's. I will be adding a vertical MH to it that I will set plants around, just haven't gotten to that yet. Then for 2 weeks they go under the CFLS into two, 2x2x4 vertical boxes, wrapped in mylar. Then from there they go into the flowering room where I have a 600w Hortilux Super HPS and A 400w hortilux blue in a 6.5x6.5 room. I use both lights for optimal spectrum and as plants get moved they will strategically be placed in sweet spots according to maturity. I like the MH with the HPS for increasing triche production as I have read that UV light helps and I don't think that it can hurt. I will eventually include single foggers into every stage but at the moment only in veg.

In flowering I will have 4 18gallon tanks 4 plants each container, one strain per container. I have tried multiple strains in one tank and did not work out at all, major nute problems. I like to run my nutes as high as possible throughout my grows anywhere from 1100-1600 ppm. I let the plant tell me when its too much and once it does I drop down 100ppm from whatever's in the res and leave it unless damage continues. So 4plants in a 18gallon DWC 2 12" stones using a commercial 115w air pump for flowering and using smaller pumps for vegging

So thats the plan ladies and gents look forward to sharing and experimenting.

I don't feel like resizing images yet and since it will take a few moments to do so I will just leave them without until I see some feedback. No sense putting all this work into this without any input or feedback. So... good luck with yours and wish me luck with mine. :D can't wait for mom to get home so I can taste another sample... :D

2. Nice man sounds like you got a good set up going, make sure to keep this updated i wanna see some pics! Also i really wanna see how that auto flower goes for you, i know barney has some great seeds.

3. Well here are the first pics. gonna take some more today, this is day 4 from germination, pics are 24 hours after cracked

Attached Files:

4. Im watching mate.

Sweet.

5. Yep, count me in too! Looking forward to pictures of your setup. The horizontal 4x3x6 area, what kind of unit is that?

Like themilkman, I'm also interested in seeing how that autoflower goes. I have the same FP from Barneys that I plan on planting in my next seedling cycle, and I'm really interested in watching yours grow.

And for the autoflower, have you thought about how you're going to handle its flowering stage? I mean have you thought about flowering the autoflower under HPS for 18/6? I'm still thinking about the logistics for when I do my autoflower. I'd like to flower it under my HPS, but if I do that, it would have to be the only plant in my flower room since my other plants flower under 12/12. I'd rather have more than one plant at a time in my flower room. I guess I could keep it in my veg room under 18/6 with my CFLs for the entire grow...

See what I mean?

You know, I'm glad to hear that someone else out there isn't afraid of applying a little extra nutrient to their grows. I read so many journals where people only go 1/2-strength because they're afraid of nute burn. They end up not providing sufficient nutrients, then they wonder why they end up with so many problems during their grows.

So yep, I'll be checkin' in.

Wishing you a nice grow!

6. Well said.

I agree (accept very early vegative stage of growth where I go half)

7. Love seeing the feedback, Ill take pics of everything and then load them up soon. Thanks for stayin posted i'll be back, like herpes... :D

8. #8 justinthyme, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
    Just moved them into net cups, roots ripping throught he little jiffy cubes. Still doing quite well. I also installed an extra 400w MH, bulb is shitty home depot special but it was sitting idle so i decided to throw it in the veg room. I am once again re-thinking my grow room design. Thinking of starting a couple more. I have 1 seed of each of the following, Vanilla Kush, Kings Kush, Lemon Skunk, Chiesel left to play with... Thinking Kings Kush and Vanilla Kush or Chiesel and Lemon Skunk... any thoughts?

9. Looking Great man , Killer start and very detailed =) I'm watching

10. i have never smoked such an exotic strain like red dragon, it should be so good

11. I hope so too... if it continues to grow the way that it is through veg, than I will be turning this into a mother and keep it going. I have a white widow that has shown nothing but exceptional growth and resistance to my fuck ups... hehe

I wish I would have mothered her but... too late for that one. I will never grow White Russian again until I get a better report on personal regimine for the plant. It has been a real pain in my ass, I will be so glad to harvest it and get it out of my garden... its an eyesore in my garden... Got the seed from Serious Seeds for that one... probably just the strain but, I don't have time for finicky plants... funny though I've read widow to be finicky with nutes and stability about russian and got complete opposites. As it pertains to the russian, it really does not like any kind of mag suppliment as it will roast it and toast it within hours its crazy, 2 weeks into flowering and almost all the fan leaves have turned yellow and are falling off.. off subject but since this is a journal... then I will just post my thoughts...

Good day and I will load more pics for sure today
    Thanks for keepin up... your interest keeps me interested..
    Anyone got any info on Autoflowering ?

12. I wish I had mothered my Red dragon, im going to try and reveg her at the end of this run and then take some mum cuts. She has been such a fast grower I thought it may have just been a one off this but it seems it may be genetic.

Sweet fella

13. yeah, i just topped mine yesterday... I will load some pics asap. i have had 100% germ rate with barney's seeds, and exceptional growth rates under less than ideal conditions, which im working to improve. I am constantly trying to reconfigure my setup to improve conditions... one step at a time. I'll upload some pics probably later today...

14. I will have more pics today of the dragon and the PF I LST'd the PF and and Topped it, not giving it much thought... I have also taken them out of their original homes and put them in 5 gallon buckets... I am going to take 1 clone off the PF and 6 off the red dragon... hoping to keep 4 of the 6.... will post update soon.. currently under 400w Hortilux Blue

Attached Files:

15. Yeah more pics taken this morning...

Attached Files:

16. Hi mate, girls are looking good.

My red dragon grew exceptionally well being top at the 5th leaf set and 4way LST'd and then adapted (just some advice).

I must say its a good smoke and gives you a nice buzz be ready for it :D.

17. well thats good to know. However, I hope it's not too much... I just pulled a qp off this bag seed that makes me instantly hypertensive and anxiety attacks like a mother fucker... and sadly some of the best tasting smoke ive ever had.. I'm really thinking its because its sativa dominant but not sure I just know that I smoked some of my widow, granted about 3 weeks early but I was fine smoking that... I haven't tried any "kind" other than what I have going on now and thats not even a finished product... I have Bubba Kush, Train Wreck, White Russian and White widow due for harvest 6-7 to 6-21 depending on the strain.. all set to flower 4-14.. and I have clones from each of those on top of a Blue Cheese and Lemon Skunk that are about 2 weeks old... I am contemplating just mothering the dragon... I just hope I can enjoy smoking it... it's hit or miss I can either smoke a blunt or nothing at all... its fucked up... even worse spending 3-4 months growing it out just to be like OH SHIT CAN"T SMOKE THAT ! Now what... for me its all for medicinal reasons... if it doesn't help my lower back pain, bipolar or ADD without anxiety attacks as a side effect then fuck it... but like I said I sampled a bit of early stuff out of my garden and all was pretty well but I think the russian might put me over the top... so I think its definitely a physiological reaction to one of the cannabinoids... just not sure which one but everything points to THC.. dunno.. hit or miss but I am about to order some OG Kush from Dr. Green Thumb...
    unless you have any suggestions
    and thanks for staying and posting... I appreciate any and all feedback... and I have to look where but I did top the dragon and am going to train it later today.. ill come back with pics of that too...
    and Im using FOx FARM trio for nutes... just an update

18. Ok, no new pictures but things are going great... set the Red Dragon to flower on 6/7 auto flower is budding nicely... I still need to do a lot of research on the auto's I didn't trim much because I didn't want to shock it. However... I don't know about anyone else but I keep gettin the most random 1 or 2 pollen sacks per plant and I am finding single seeds on plants... like ill harvest and find 1, just one full matured seed... whatever..

I took the pollen sakc and smeared it on a couple buds... hopefully Ill get some seeds from the auto... ill be taking pics tomorrow that I will upload if anyone is still watching this...

19. hey, can you keep posting pics of that flower power? let us know how it responds to the topping, typically autos are single-cola-happy

20. Here she is in full bloom, looking lovely and smells better than my Pink Lemonade, In fact, she smells identical and very distinctly like original flavored Bubblegum. The calax' is developing nicely, I think its going to produce some nice colas, and it already looks as nice as my widow did at this age, I will estimate 2.5-3 oz of this plant.

She is under 400w Hortiblue in DWC bubble bucket, ppms 800 technaflora recipe for success -magical/calmag... I have been avoiding the cal mag stuff it's done more harm than good... bout to start toying with it again though...

I would definitely recommend this for a first time grower... I topped her about the 3 or forth week, pruned some branches...

I will take new pics later and hopefully post them tonight to show the top..

She did produce balls right at the node that I topped... just an observation, I too that single pollen sack and painted a few buds with it...

Attached Files: