Recycling soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by montegro420, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Alright so I know I can recycle my clay pellets for hydroponics but about recycling my soil from previously grown plants what are some good things to grow or add to the soil to bring the nutrients back?

Also should I remove the entire rootball or are roots fine for other plants to grow into?

2. Used up soil is just a substrate without nutrients. You can use it in almost any good soil recipe and just add food to it. Adding Worm Castings; Guanos; Bone, Blood and/or Kelp Meals can turn inert soil into very fertile soil. Myself and a few others mix old soil 50/50 with new soil every time. Pull most of the roots out of the old soil before reusing.

3. soil ? dont soil urself go hydro,

4. assuming you flushed before the harvest...then i can't see a big problem with reusing soil. you will want to add worm castings, guano, etc.

5. What a novel idea.

6. remove the roots where possible, place the used soil in a big bin or something like that and add earth worms. they'll break down any material in there and then die, leaving worm castings.

then add other stuff like guano etc and your good to go :)

7. Alright cool.
    Well what are a few great things to add too your compost mix and howcan I determine what will break down into what, like I wouldn't think it would be good to add something like coffee grounds so it's not like a compost haha