Recycling soil

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Foxymel, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Has anyone reused soil from plants that have died? Unfortunately I have several of those in big pots. It’s all organic soil that has had different nutrients regularly added. I’m transplanting everything but my herbs into the ground and I am planning on using all of my leftover soil. I’ve taken the roots out. Has anyone ever done this? Are there any potential drawbacks? I’m thinking it will be kind of a super soil that is richer than anything that I make or buy.

I have tomatoes, carrots, hibiscuses, roses, a majesty palm, and a big variety of flowers like begonias, marigolds, etc. I haven’t had a lot of success with transplanting into the ground so I’m hoping that this soil will help. Plus rainy season has started and everything is oversaturated, which makes it more important to put into well draining soil in the ground.

2. Hell yeah! Recycle the shit out of it. I would amend it with some compost, maybe hit it with some lime, or whatever fertilizer of your choice and continue to reuse it!

3. I do this often at least 2 times a year
    the deal here tho is you say its organic soil but you have added nutes
    no organics would do that
    for that I say trash it and read a garden book

good luck

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. The only nutes I’ve added is Dr. Earth’s organic fertilizer. There’s different kinds for different types of plants. I also have used molasses and Epsom salt. I actually got a few gardening books from the library but couldn’t get into reading them. I’m gardening for fun and I read for fun. Reading about gardening kinda cancels them out.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. :lmafoe:

I'd trust the books in the library a lot more than I trust strangers opinions on the internet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lets not... tell us how you got ur driving licence
    or finished school ..lol
    but others here will know self medication only works one way
    good luck

7. That makes zero sense. And tbh, that’s kinda rude. I was just wanting opinions about using recycled soil. Not gardening. And gardening is not an intellectual pursuit for me but something that relieves stress. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding what you mean, but you sound like you might be trying to insult me. It doesn’t vibe with my Zen gardening activities. Lol

8. I recycle my coco every grow

• Like Like x 2
  9. Do you rinse it?

10. Yeah I buffer it with ph 6.0 250 ppm h2O then it goes back in the tub and mixed with new coco used 1 more time then trashed.
    If you didn’t have any serious problems with your grow like flushing with reg water every week trying to balance you ph or ppms then ya should be good to give it a 2nd round.

• Like Like x 1
  11. So I can’t actually reuse my soil because I’m having an outbreak of PM. We’ve had so much rain everything is saturated. So now I’ll be fighting against PM. I’ll probably have to try a few different things. I’m also having ant issues. I keep sprinkling cinnamon around my plants but the rain washes it away. They hate cinnamon. It doesn’t kill them they just hate it.