Recreational Sleep Deprivation...

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by LulzMaximus, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I've done this before and saw some crazy ass shit and when i went to bed i had some scary crazy ass dreams lol but i was mad young and people sitting here saying thats mad dumb is just ridiculous

2. It's OP again. I've been up for 26 hours. Minor audio hallucinations present, accompanied by a strange, dream like state of mind. Not entirely pleasant or unpleasant, very adequate. I think I want to write some music.

3. Back in high school I had serious depression issues which would cause me to stay up for days at a time. I think my record was 7 hours of sleep total in a 5 day school week, not even exaggerating.

Somehow I kept my grades up and didn't get in trouble, even though I missed 52% of the days in Junior year.

Needless to say, I was a goddamned zombie. When you go that long it basically makes you feel as if you have a 30 pound weight resting directly on your brain.

It's obviously completely unhealthy for you, I had to stop once I began lifting weights. More-so the issue is one of long-term vs. short term sleep deprivation. Going for a year without sleep will definitely fuck you up, while a few days here and there aren't a big deal at all.

4. Many times in junior high and high school me and my friends would stay up 24-48 hours gaming halo... What a beautiful time

5. The other day, I couldn't fall asleep, no matter how much I smoked. I was up for about 48 hours (wasn't hungry either, so i didn't eat). At the end of it, I was rather stoned and exhausted. As I lied in my bed, I watched the ceiling grow and shrink. It warped and melted a little bit, and I could see odd patterns in it. It was pretty cool actually.

6. Well, once we were allowed to start going to the exchange on base, a lot of people would get mouthwash...to, well, drink. 17% alcohol by volume lol

7. I find recreation sleep deprivation to be an oxymoron, but then again this is coming from a guy who finds sleeping in to be one his most things.

8. no, because i have a job

9. could never do this. I love dreaming and sleeping.

plus i work everyday so wouldent even beable to if I wanted.

I have done it though. long drug bingers that kept me up all nite

10. I love lying in bed and just dozing off, especially on a rainy day or taking an afternoon nap. My bed sucks though.

11. I'm terribly sorry for re-opening such an old and obviously dead thread. But I've been a member for a while now and I feel that there are a lot of things to be said about the attitude some of you blades have shown in this thread.

As stoners I am sure you have come across at least a couple of people who do not agree with the choice you have made. You may call them prejudiced, uninformed, you may bring up scientific evidence proving the herbs healing and restorative powers or you might simply walk away. The great thing about Grasscity is that we dont have to deal with that here. This is supposed to be a safe haven for those who have made the decision to disregard the common social paradigms.

How can you berate OP for trying something like recreational sleep deprivation? Just like you he has made a choice. A courteous reminder of the health risks is encouraged, and a gentle reminder that some people (myself included) do not have the choice NOT to go through sleep dep on a regular basis is fine. But when you start questioning his intelligence or his age and throwing insults around, it reflects poorly not only on yourself but the community as a whole. I feel as a fellow Psychonaut that sleep deprivation is absolutely something that can be considered worth trying. We who have to live with it usually grow to hate it, but for someone who has yet to experience it, it might even prove to be rewarding. 

So how about we all sit down, sing "we shall overcome" and start acting like the adults we are all SUPPOSED to be. 

12. #72 G4Grassdetta, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    A much more interesting state than most people realize. On it's own it's too edgy to be fun for me, I'll end up just nodding off or microsleeping and having time gaps and the body effects and the "I NEED SLEEP" overpower any interest in being sleep deprived and have my whole life. An unexplainable terror begins envelop me, an irrational fear seemingly out of nowhere, the sense of a foreign presence.  With weed though? all the negatives disappear but it isn't quite "being high" and the added element becomes more and more pronounced as time progresses.

Stay awake and bake? Quite fun if done correctly. Would recommend a full sativa though....Dabbing with sleep dep is pretty impressive. Good idea to plan for a day or two to be doing activities. I once went snorkeling in the keys all day after being up for 35hrs with quite a bit of MJ cookies and it was most impressive.

It's not a "fun" state to most people. Then again, I enjoy a nightmare trip as much as a good one. Interesting things make for a type of "fun" even if it's profoundly bizarre.

Mild levels lead to different conceptualizations, Pattern recognition (faces and ultimately strange patterns), Video games are definitely different (beyond a cannabis high alone), movies same thing. You can get unexpected laughter (kind of like being drunk and laughing at nothing) and I'm confident that's why younger kids like it.

Moderate levels you start to mistake things as things they are not. Classic delirium. You see a white object anywhere close to your white dog and you will just think hey that's my dog. Wait, no it's not that's a random white object. You get a "sense" to this mild hallucination, unlike normal sensory processing. You could see walls melting, pictures moving, phantoms, etc...you didn't "watch" it happen full on but is more or less sensed (corner-eye). It can certainly be interesting but is not particularly productive (Mentally/physically/spiritually).   At this point I get a nice body feeling...similar to Cannabis (and certainly enhanced by) nothing beyond a nice shower feeling. This is a good level for combinations and essentially makes sleep deprivation function like a drug (as in altering an experience quite a bit and adding in totally unique experiences). Be careful with things that are intense on their own. It functions like a deliriant so it is up to you whether this will be worthwhile...

Extreme levels...near complete delirium. Shadows do more than dance. Very similar to antichollinergics but takes 3-4 days to reach this level. Is very difficult to maintain working memory (as with all delirious activity), probably want to aid some type of memory aid depending on your recall abilities (if you have excellent dream recall, this should be easy as memories function similarly). Very intense hallucinations, they take on a dreamlike caliber and thus can be dangerous if one doesn't maintain his/her grasp on reality. This level I would never term "fun" or even interesting besides a foray or two VERY rarely. It takes your body a good two days to recover, which is worse than any comedown. You will feel very "off" and weed only brings back certain sleep deprivation effects. Not useful for combos as the effects are very unpredictable and too much time required. I feel a fundamentally wrongness at this level...probably biofeedback but feels more than that.

Misc effects are experienced but don't really relate to the time awake but just a mental headspace/random occurences and so can't really be replicated (OBEs, Otherworldly perception, Malevolent entities, Darker aspects)

Just have to make sure if you want to be sleep deprived you have the time to do so. Doing without sleep when you need it (Job, school, driving, etc) is lame and can jeopardize others safety. So if you don't know your limits with sleep it's probably best to wait for ideal times.

Cannabis seems to be potentiated by sleep deprivation, or rather creates a blend. It can also bring back certain negatives while still in the sleep recovery phase.

Doing certain activities really bring the effects to the fore. Driving or anything requiring focus (school, church, work) see an extreme potentiation in mine and others experience. Just think of all the sleep related accidents. Why when you stop driving you stay up for another 5 hrs but when you're at the wheel you just can't stay awake.
    It just makes you tired...you're brain is also contained within the road and whatever you're listening to so it allows for interesting possibilities not seen elsewhere. NOTE: you don't have to be driving...passenger will have similar effects (nowhere near as intense) and is far safer. Ideally you want interstate driving as this is trippy by itself and the disassociative aspects of driving/riding long distances with sleep deprivation delirium and the wild card that is Cannabis is certainly worth a try. I would never advise this alone and another person is usually the key to access the positive aspects.

Trance states are also easier to access. Great for spiritual meditation if that's your thing. However they have a much less controllable factor that can be worked through but caution should be taken. Sleep deprivation is considered Dark by some and it certainly has those aspects but learning your limits should give you the ability to avoid certain things...perhaps not. It may not be something you should mess with on higher levels but mild sleep dep is something anyone should be able to enjoy with Weed or just a nice afterglow.

As a side note...it seems to make my dreams extremely different. Often very unpleasant (other times interesting) and other sleep behaviours are far more common.

13. #73 WizardInBlack, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
    i hate sleep deprivation. I mean sure it's kinda cool to stay up all night here and there. I feel like i'm losing touch with reality after staying up for a couple days. It's not a good feeling to have i hate not being able to sleep lol.

14. I get filled with murderous rage if I Dont get to go to sleep when I get tired. I want to kill or destroy everything and everyone standing between me and my bed.

15. i know that after about the 4th day you start losing it. 

16. Nah. I like to sleep. Sometimes I'll stay up throughout the whole night and just stay up but that's only when the party happening ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. I can't remember when's the last time I actually HAD a "sleep cycle".

I seem to take little 10 minute naps and wake myself up snoring to find people around me giggling. Like they think I'm doing it just to be funny.

18. When I was like 13 or 14 I stayed uo for 5 days, from a combination of grief and video game addiction.

I got no weird effects, and didnt even sleep for like a day when I finally went to sleep, just got an average 8hrs, and woke up feeling perfectly fine :confused_2:

I don't I have ever seen such a dead thread brought back to life, a month or two old is one thing...2 years though? I'm sure a lot of people that had posted in this thread are looooong off of GC at this point. Just sayin' man. not tryin' to be a prick.

But since we have summoned it from the pits of Tartarus using some foul necromancy, I might as well put in my two cents.

Used to do this a lot as a kid, not on purpose mind you, just have bad insomnia. Weed helped a lot though when I started smoking it as a teen, then not being able to afford weed has pretty much brought it back. I only get like 2-3 hours of sleep if I try, I'll even lay in bed for hours trying to get to sleep, but it is really frustrating trying to go to sleep, frustrating enough I really don't try anymore. I constantly feel like I'm stammering over my words, light headed, tired all of the time, just kinda "drifting" on through my day.

Kinda sucks yo, but what are ya gonna do. 

20. I'm the OP and i'm still here (though admittedly I forgot this thread existed). Suppose I should give an update while I'm here.

I now have problems falling asleep due to anxiety so I feel it on the other end of the spectrum - sleep dep without a choice. It certainly sucks and family gives me shit about it like I have a choice in it. It's been better this week luckily.

The major difference in effects is, well, anxiety. It makes it rather bothersome and like I can't breath at times. Also, even 24 hours gets me to where 40 got me before, it not a little more. I can see why people were pissed I was enjoying it lol