Recreational Cannabis Legal In NYS Nearly Two Years, Still No Legal Dispensaries

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by garrison68, Dec 12, 2022.

1. The good news is, with recreational cannabis being legal in New York State, there are tens of thousands of places, including delivery services, to easily obtain cannabis in New York City. Now that Covid restrictions are over, there has never been a better time in NYC for a stoner vacation. However, there is not a single place yet, which is licensed to sell it. The politicians, such as Gov. Hochul and her cronies, have no idea of what they are doing. According to the laws, all of the weed sold in NYS must be grown in NYS, with no outsourcing of seeds. All dispensaries must be owned by people with previous convictions for marijuana in NYS, or a member of their family, which is probably illegal and this is being challenged in court by an out-of-state cannabis company that wishes to open a retail cannabis business in Brooklyn. The politicians waited too long, their misguided efforts will guarantee that the unlicensed businesses will be the primary source of cannabis for consumers.

New York cannabis farms have nowhere to sell a combined 300,000 pounds of weed, valued at $750 million, as delays continue for dispensaries in the state
    Hundreds of thousands of pounds of marijuana are currently sitting idly on New York cannabis farms without a single legal recreational dispensary in the state open and ready to sell the product.

An estimated 300,000 pounds of weed are becoming a growing concern for farmers who planted the crop in spring 2021 in hopes of cashing in on the drug's legalization in New York state. The lot is valued at about $750 million based on the average wholesale value of $2,500 per pound, according to Bloomberg.

Read the rest, here:
    New York cannabis farms have nowhere to sell a combined 300,000 pounds of weed, valued at $750 million, as delays continue for dispensaries in the state

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. That's what happens when racism is codified into cannabis laws.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. What’s with the weed that’s deliver and such? Is it legit retail or a workaround? If it were legal to grow I wouldn’t give a damn where/how it was sold around my state, just quit jailing folks for it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 garrison68, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    There is plenty of good weed in NYC, and elsewhere in NYS, but I think most of it is from outside NYS. The law that was passed specifies that only weed that is grown in NYS can be sold, but they have not opened a single licensed shop or delivery service yet. As I mentioned in the first post, there is an abundance of weed stores and delivery services already selling products, right out in the open. The convoluted plan to only license people to grow or sell, who were convicted in NYS, or people related to them, is not going to work. The government blew its chance, by not allowing qualified growers and industry leaders from NYS or elsewhere to create businesses here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I’m certainly for helping victims of the drug war since I have seen it happen to many good people but they should leave that be until it’s up and running. It’s alot easier to make adjustments in an industry that’s already on good footing that one that’s struggling to get started. “Marijuana” laws were written with minority hate in mind so they have a stake in the game whether people like it or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Part of that so called minority hate is self inflicted. More than once while doing laundry we've witnessed a young woman of color smoking weed right in front of the laundry mat with her small children in tow. On numerous occasions we witness men of color smoking in public as if it were legal. So, are all other folks not being arrested for blatantly breaking the law smart. Maybe they just lack the balls to continue being arrested and having drug related offenses on their record. These arrest records make it very difficult to get a good job. As for where most folks get their weed. BLACK market and bordering states like Mass. They have been profiting off our politicians lack of action for many years now. And not just since it became legal here. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. We broke a lot of hearts in Canada when we repealed prohibition on booze as they were raking it in sending liquor here.
    My point on the drug war is that many of the laws, and as we know the term “Marijuana”, were based around minority hate and fears. It made black dudes chase white women and folks from Mexico lazy. I’ve only been around very few people from Mexico, fewer that got high, but “lazy” ain’t what comes to mind when I recall them. With the tax cuts, wars, and Corp welfare that we have afforded for decades, dropping some change on these justice programs should be easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Cannabis agencies of New York State and New York City insist that people of color were unfairly discriminated against, in marijuana-related arrests and imprisonments. This is not true. The reason so many minorities were arrested, was that most of them were selling weed in the street. There are neighborhoods in NYC that had cars from out of state and NYC, coming around at all hours, to buy all kinds of drugs, including weed, from dealers and hard drug pushers in the street, virtually all gang members, and this was a very bad quality of life issue for residents of such neighborhoods.

Most white and minority dealers sell their products at home, at another indoor location, or very discreetly. If they were never arrested, they will not be permitted to open a licensed weed store in New York, no matter how well they could run it. This makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. I'm sure you're all aware of when I was busted in 2019. Dirty cops. All of which were forced to retire or transferred to other stations. So,they are allowed to do the same thing all over again. Oh yeah, I'm a caucasian. My grow was personal use only.

• Like Like x 1
  10. After the 2001 recreational bill passed, AZ had a portion of newly available dispensary licenses dedicated to populations who had been historically adversely affected by draconian drug laws. All of the rest were already spoken for by the pre-existing medical operations. The corporate side of things had it all rolled up tighter than a nun's blunt. No room for any smallish cultivators to get in on the business. They did make sure that grows for personal use were legalized, for which I am thankful. Now if the feds would get up to speed with legalization we could all breathe a little easier . . .

• Like Like x 1
  11. I just read an interesting note on the death penalty in SC and crimes such as Rape, and Attempted Rape, carried the death penalty. The rates of execution were 95+ % black. It’s like whites didn’t rape anybody, or at least didnt serve the harshest sentences for it for decades. How could minorities not have been unfairly treated in the drug war when the laws were written with them in mind? Drugs didn’t become a serious health problem until us white folks fell in love with opiates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NYS allows a few plants but does the city have regs for fire concerts or whatever, with the close proximity?

13. If ya do the crime,ya do the time .
    Yeah, ...only dumb druggies and their family's can sell weed,.. their family's !!?? It's just like timj said,
    the blacks sell their drugs right on the fucking street corners,Nostrand Ave, the junction , Brooklyn NY .
    The whites sell inside.
    So we should buy drugs from people who ain't smart enough to not sell drugs in the open? Nope.
    I smell contaminated weed.
    Ha fucking ha!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. It's because black men commit more rape and crime. 95% of the black guys I'm friends with, it's all about the pussy, Italian guys too.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Not white folks.
    The earliest reference to opium growth and use is in 3,400 B.C. when the opium poppy was cultivated in lower Mesopotamia (Southwest Asia). The Sumerians referred to it as Hul Gil, the "joy plant." The Sumerians soon passed it on to the Assyrians, who in turn passed it on to the Egyptians.

Inside the Story of America’s 19th-Century Opiate Addiction | History| Smithsonian Magazine

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The rate of suicide among Blacks has always been much lower than the national average. Currently, for males, it's about half the rate for Whites. Could this be because when some Black people are wronged, rather than kill themselves, they go to the source and kill the person or persons that they believe caused their distress?

Black Populations | Suicide Prevention Resource Center

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I think suicide is more prevalent among those who aren't used to adversity, they start killing themselves over small shit like their girlfriends being unfaithful. I'm guessing of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. #18 garrison68, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    During slavery, suicide rates among Black slaves were not recorded well, but scholars are at a loss to explain why the percentages are estimated as the smallest in the country - lower than the slaveowners, the white Confederate and Union soldiers, the non-slaveholding Whites in the South and the Whites in the North. After the Civil War, their suicide rates were the same - very low. People living in very bad conditions usually are far more prone to suicide, than others, but if it was as bad as we are told it was for Black slaves, why did they not kill themselves in greater numbers, and why is the African American suicide rate only half that of Whites, today?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1