recovering from a tragic robbery

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by fourxeightchamp, Mar 2, 2012.

1. my grow partner and i got robbed of all of our equipment and about 10 gorgeous healthy massively producing kush plants due to lack of a secure place. so this is a rebuttal grow leaving off from when my room mate / grow partner and myself got robbed of roughly 3 pounds and a grand in grow equipment.
    so we re-located and bought an 8x4 tent with an 8x4 tray, 32 rock wool cubes into larger rock wool cubes into coco coir. 1200w total one digital hps one metal halide for vegging. (alternated weekly for veg along with the reservoir water which also gets changed once a week.) these clones are half 3rd generation of candy kush (left to right) and half 3rd generation special kush from soil medium based mother plants. there's also a k-train in the middle to the top right. we've been on 24 hours light for about 2 weeks so far. we've been using advanced nutrients for veg so far 4 times a day 15 min each interval 550gph pump pumping 35 gallons of water dosed with grow, micro, bloom, fox farm's grow big and big bloom, ad good ol' super thrive! the lighting fan is a hydro farm 240cfm 6" fan. here's some pics. enjoy and comment, give recommendations! this is my first hydro grow so please give me ideas! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also finishing up some soil leftover from the last grow with a 250w hps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. did i read that right? 32 plants under 1200w?

3. WOW thoes first pics of ur set up looks mad !
    shame about the robbery how much moneys worth of equiptmet did u have ?

4. Yes 2 600's for this grow. it's an experiment like most grows, at least for myself and my partner. we spent about 2300 dollars on this setup and it was a big stretch for the both of us considering we got 2 600's, each with lumatek bulbs and ballasts, a vortex fan, carbon filter and about 10k+ worth of crop stolen along with nutrients and the works. the robber knew his stuff. left our ph tester and took the ppm/ec meter which were right next to each other. also left big bloom and sledgehammer. it was like the person felt sympathetic -____-

so yes the lighting is under powered and there are kinks to work out, but for a sea of green grow plus the 250w we have in the middle should suffice.

about the algae that's been forming on the coco mat and rockwool cubes, should i be concerned about this? I'm not down with hydrogen peroxide and i figure once a canopy forms it shouldn't be an issue.

5. Morning fourxeightchamp,
    It's too bad you lost your equipment & 3 lbs. But you didn't lose your life. Count your blessings, the equipment & poundage can be replaced.
    Good luck with the current grow.
    Cheers,
    bruce

6. thanks man, i'm really hoping the poundage can be replaced. that was the worst part about the robbery. we could have had 4x600's in there :p

7. thats a damn shame man, sorry to hear about that.im subbed though, everything looks great

8. #8 SCMC, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
    I would be concerned about the algae a little, but I don't think it should be too much of an issue. Figure, the algae has to be consuming something, but it is also giving waste.

I haven't ever dealt with a coco mat before so this is a little uncharted territory with the recirculating system. I think that, if anything, contamination of the water supply and eventual blockage of the water delivery should be a concern if the algae does get out of control.

Not sure how to get rid of it in another way though... You're probably going to have to disinfect at some point.

And it sounds like whoever hit you both had a good knowledge of what they were looking for. Was the rest of the place robbed? Or just the grow room? Sounds like someone you guys know knew you were growing and word got around somehow where you were growing at. I hope that you guys aren't spending all this money again without installing at least a few decent locks on a reinforced door. $300 more and you could have possibly prevented anything being taken with just a trip to your local hardware store. I mean, if you're going to spend the money and hold the product... Might as well put it in a "safe" as best you can. A simple alarm system, you can get these programs that run on a computer and it sends you a message when the alarm is tripped (no cops). These aren't expensive and you could run it on a $50 used pc with network access.

It sounds paranoid but once you've been hit you are a continued target because they obviously know who you guys are and what you do. I would be doubly catious this time, especially around the harvest window. Or move to another city...

9. looking good 4x8. nice little setup ya have there.

im w/ SCMC about the algae, maybe some hygrozyme will knock it down a little bit?

keep an eye on your rez, just to make sure its not accumulating any nasty shit.

are those all flowering clones you have on that veg table?

10. ur over feeding those clones there all twisted an sh!t ram horns lighten up on the nutes until they perk up

11. they kinda look like clones taken in flower that he's trying to reveg, but im not sure....if not yeah he's got some probs

12. im betting their flowering clones.

13. #13 fourxeightchamp, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
    they're clones from mothers that were put into flowering just before the robbery, about 2 months ago. so they have a crazy amount of swollen white pistils and there's a ton of nodes coming out of everywhere. it's going to take some taming. big time pruning once they reach a serviceable height. the scrogging method might also favor this type of plant. we also plan on reducing the overall amount of plants on the table. there's 32 now, it'll probably go down to 26 or so. the plan is a bit shaky i admit, but our situation was unexpected. i would not grow these clones had there been a better source.

thesage3, i think you're right! my partner claims it's because the clones went from flowering to rooting to veg. i disagree, but it's hard to reason with someone over something like this when they're about to have a degree in plant science. i would like to tone down on nutes to save money and also avoid any burning but we'll see how that goes.

So a little update. our 600w digital ballasts died. why...i have no idea. in a fit of rage, my partner and i returned them and bought these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these babies right here are a 600w lumatek digital dimmable ballast (left) and a 1000w (wow!) upgraded version to the right. hohohohoho

[​IMG]
    the plants are happier, bulbs warm up faster and the light looks much more crisp.

now for a question. should i be concerned with the amount of light showing through my rooting medium?
    [​IMG]

14. nice, i just got that 600w lumatek ballast...cant wait to use it! also bought a lumatek 600w hps bulb to go with it...cant wait to use super lumens lol

15. well he is right to a point the clones will do funny things when reverted but those plants show an over feeding do half strength feeding and i bet they perk up in a few days

16. the best part about them is they're completely silent, they're huge and they're purple lol.

sage thanks man i've been saying the same it's good to know someone agrees.

we've been talking about putting hydrotin pellets over the coir. this is why i posted it in the coco section because i want to know more about our budget medium. i was hoping someone is in the process of using or has used coco mat in the past.

17. another update. things are getting crazy. we got another 400w lumatek ballast for the soil plants...they really like it in there now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

put the 250w internal ballast hood in the middle of the tent
    [​IMG]

swapped the 600w hps with a nice fat 600w mh
    [​IMG]

the candy kush really enjoys the 1000w hps. especially with the new hortilux bulb.
    [​IMG]
    almost time to put up the scrog net! these babies are producing some girthy stems lots of options for pruning thanks to the dense foliage.

big roots.
    [​IMG]

sage, i took your advice. we are now on a res with just hydrogen peroxide and sledgehammer flushing aid. gonna go down to half feeding next res, which is tuesday. the plants are much nicer looking and they shot up quite a bit from this technique. also the peroxide took out a lot of algae, but also left a lot of doodoo butter on the coco mat.

18. [​IMG]
    net is up. almost pruning time

19. pruning what??

are you revegging your plants?

IDK if it's standard practice in hydro but I would hate to use hydrogen peroxide on my soil. That would be like starting over as far as microbial populations....