Records, cds or mp3s

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by C21H30O2, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Wich do you prefer to listen to?

To me theres nothing better than putting on a good record while blazing. Theres something tactiley romantic about them to me. I know the quality isnt as good as modern technology, but it just feels right. :love:

2. the quality on records is the best there is..it just wears out much faster due to the whole needle thing

3. I guess I should have clarified. When I say Cd's and mp3's are clearer, i mean because they have been digitally altered for clarity. Plus 80% of record players are mono rather than stereo.

4. yea but isn't it the digital alterations that get in the way?

either way i prefer my iPod ;)

5. I prefer Lp Records.As a teen I took great care wiping the vinyl before & afer each use & I made sure each was in the proper Lp sleeve & cover.
    I still have a 400 + Vinyl collection,200+ Cassettes & 8-track & over 150 Cd's
    Now it looks like the future trends will lean toward downloading one's musical selections. I just remember getting alot more when I was young ,buying vinyl Lp's
    Gate-fold pictures, a poster, something besides just a plastic case & small insert:bongin:

6. vinyl ftw =]

7. I prefer vinyl but tbh they're too akward for me. Same with tapes and cds, even!

8. I must say i agree with the majority.
    Records just have this amazing sound to them that make the music sound so much more beautiful and meaningful.
    but If im listening to Aphex Twin or Daft punk or something... I think a Mp3 would suit it much better.

9. I was listening to some of my gf's mom's records today she has all origional vinyls of the beatles, the who, queen, and what not. It was great.

10. i like cds because of the sleeve. i think album art sais a lot about the band. i also think they sound best

11. mp3's ripped@320kbps

12. I've got over five hundred Cd's. I wouldn't mind getting into vinyl. Definitely. When I was a kid I rarely could afford records. Had some 45s. In the 80's.. I had more cassettes than anyone I knew. 100's. I was happy to switch from cassette to Cd.

13. i once heard that the soundtrack to the original cheech and chong movie included a giant rolling paper for rolling a J like in the movie

can anybody tell me why exactly vinyl "sounds better"

i'm a big music fan and i've actually NEVER listened to a record - even though most of my favorite music was recorded in the sixties and seventies

14. Although my music collection is literally 100% digital, there is definitely something to be said about vinyl records.

Listen to a song on vinyl, and then listen to the same song on CD or MP3.... there's really no comparison. It's almost the degree of difference between listening to a live band in person or listening to a studio-produced band. So much warmer, vibrant, and dynamic.

There's also something to be said about analog recording, as opposed to digital. Unfortunately, very few musicians record analog anymore. It's gotten down the point where you can play a few dinky notes on the guitar, and use ProTools to turn it into a masterpiece. With analog, you can hear every little nuance and detail of how the music was made... not nearly as much room for error, plus there's a lot more character to it.

And for some reason when the notes get translated to a series of 1's and 0's, it hits the ear differently. It sounds like artificial electronic audio data as opposed to the vibrations of human expressiveness that makes music so appealing in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, the digital format has its advantages, otherwise I would need a small warehouse to store all the music I have. But there is a fine line between using the new format to your advantage, and using it to take the magic out of the music (as corny as that sounds).

15. Yeah, I actually used to have a copy of the soundtrack on vinyl with the rolling paper and everything. Never tried to use it though... I'm not rich enough to have that much weed. :D

Because the sound is being produced by the actual physical grooves that were engraved on the record, and not just a computer reading digital data.

I highly recommend you check one out, especially if you're a fan of classic rock and older music. Back then, the music was made to be put on vinyl. Nowadays, it's been translated and converted to fit new media.... and to me, there was something lost in the process. For example, Led Zeppelin sounds completely breathtaking on vinyl.

Man, this thread makes me want to start a vinyl collection again. :cool::smoking:

16. I have a large collection of vinyl that I sample for use on my mpc and it sounds soo much warmer.

Some producer said in a magazine that vinyl is alot more full that back in the 60's a sound engineer would spend hours just tring to eq a snare right and that just doesnt happen anymore.

17. Can you cite this statistic anywhere? Who has heard of a mono phonograph or recording in the last 50 years? Didn't stereo recording become popular in the 60's?