Recording software??

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by CosmicSerpent, Oct 26, 2007.

1. So I'm a guitarist and I used to be in a band, but now that I'm in college I don't have as much time to devote to playing music. I still like to jam and write songs, but it's mostly by myself. Therefore I want to find a way to record songs in my spare time. I have tons of ideas floating around, but no way to express them because I can record multiple tracks and overdub stuff. I have a PC, but I don't really have any experience with recording software. I've used Garage Band on a friend's Mac and I like how easy it is to use... plus you can make pretty good sounding songs with just an open mic and the computerized instruments that they have. I'd like to have something like this on my PC so I can do the same. I've got Sony Acid Pro from a friend, but I tried to mess around with it, and I don't even have the first clue as to how to use it. So are there any simpler programs out there or some kind of guide I could read to get me started? I'm not looking to make super professional recordings, just something listenable. And unfortunately I'll probably just be using a regular PC mic to record until I can afford some kind of USB audio interface. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

2. A programme called Fruitloops is pretty good man. Its like Garage Bands in the way you can make songs with the pre-made instrument banks. Theres a little keyboard interface on there so you can use your computer keyboard like a real keyboard and im pretty sure you can close-mic a guitar with good sound quality, its been a while since i've used it thats why I say im pretty sure because I cant remember how good the quality was but I remember it being good enough to record demos and stuff. Hope this helps you out man.

3. Honestly man, I was going to come here and recommend Acid. It's what I use and it's incredibly simple. Trust me, I don't think it will get any simpler than that. I recently tried learning Pro Tools and let me tell you, that program is downright retarded. It's sooo hard to use. I say keep messing around with Acid. It's really nice once you get to know how to use it (shouldn't take THAT long).

In fact I actually have Acid open right now with a new song coming along.

4. Yeah I've heard of FruityLoops, and I tried it a while back. Maybe I'm just dumb or impatient, but I couldn't really get what I wanted out of it.

I figured out how to create basic beats, but not much else. So you can actually record audio over it too and be able to loop segments and do different tracks? Cause it seemed like more of a drum machine than a multitrack recorder to me.

The main thing I wanna do is be able to have somewhat realistic sounding drums (with some electronic shit), a realistic bass line, and then record actual guitar on top of that. Do you know of any websites for helping a beginner?

5. Yeah, I feel stupid now cause I spent a few hours trying to figure out how to use it, and I had a lot of trouble. I couldn't even record multiple tracks without them being out of sync.... there was always a small difference in timing, so it sounded shitty. Even when I used the click track and played it flawlessly. And I couldn't figure out if there was any way to program in a bass line or drums. I guess what I need is some kind of tutorial, or either a program meant for idiots like me. :D

6. Haha, don't feel stupid man, I probably just said that because I've been using it for about 2 years. Maybe you accidentally moved the tracks a little? I dunno. You're going to need some drum and bass samples for those sorts of things, but you kind probably find them somewhere online. I wish I could just show you how to use it ha.

7. Sonor pro is really good, its similar to acid and you can usually find it for free.

8. I wish Apple would just release Garage Band for PC, but that will probably never happen. It's so easy to get the sound you want and you can start constructing a song in no time. Everything else requires a lot of learning and experience before you get the hang of it.

9. I use Cakewalk Music Creator 3

All you need is the software itself and a microphone. With some deft editing (noise reduction, reverb, mixing, double-tracking) you can whip up some good quality tracks on the cheap.

10. Okay so I've been messing around a lot with Acid and Fruity Loops the last day or so. I've figured out basically how to create a good drum track and how to record guitar, but one thing I still can't do is be able to put in my own bass line. I don't actually own a bass, so I want to have something realistic sounding (not just a synth) where I can program all the notes and everything. Can someone help with this?

11. Though I'm not sure if you can get a bass sound in Acid, there is a MIDI keyboard thing you can program. Just go to "Insert" then "add MIDI track." I've never used it though.

12. Record the bass track with your guitar and use a pitch shift filter to lower it by an octave

13. I have been using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 for about the last 7 or 8 years. It is now called Adobe Audition because Adobe bought them out, but it is essentially the same thing. It has a kick ass multi track editor with an unlimited amount of tracks, tons of reverb, delay, chorus, distortion, filters, and eq effects all built in, not to mention you can get lots of free plug ins made for guitar. I love the fact that everything is pretty straight forward, and if you know anything about audio you should be fine. No complex controls or crazy interfaces, just straight forward sound editing and mixing.

I get professional quality sound just by plugging my guitar into the mic input by using a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter on my guitar cable. And ever since my Dititech rp300 effects pedal broke (which is a kickass pedal by the way) I have been using this free real time effects processor called Guitar FX Box 2.6 (or at least I got it free ;)). It has everything my digitech pedal had and you can record the output using it too, even a tuner! All in real time effects through your computer processor!

I recommend checking out Cool Edit Pro and if you can buy a RP300 Digitech Multieffects pedal you can plug that right into your computer too and believe me it sounds great. Hope this helps!

14. Cool edit or Cool edit pro