Recorded Rap Verse - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by HCL, Oct 6, 2011.

1. #1 HCL, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011
    I know I could get a fair share of haters, but I want to gauge where I'm at in terms of appeal from others. Basically, I have a lot of people who have been pushing me to get serious about getting a mixtape together but I've always just kind of disregarded it, but am seriously considering doing it now. So a friend wanted me to record what I had to show him, and so far everyone has given back good reception, but that could be pity props for all I know :p Anyway, without further ado, here is "the verse."

http://tinypic.com/r/69ksub/7

(Keep in mind I had to do this through a webcam mic)

Lyrics:

I murder fools with tools that leave'em clueless
    The murder weapon was a mic, I stored it where the booth is
    Truth is, this rap game is a nuiscience
    They try to pick my brain, but fuck given'em two cents
    I'm ruthless, if that's what you want to call it
    I green these emcees like the jerseys of the SuperSonics
    You know I'm ballin, but fuck grabbin a rebound
    Just reach down, pick up the heat and see who wants to spit rounds
    I creep these streets with a chrome piece, Pull it on a fiend who says he knows me
    Got product he wanna show me, oh please, had to inspect that shit closely
    But when you try to hustle me, put shortly will havin you dyin slowly
    Must not have really known me well, cause can't you tell,
    I'm livin here on Earth cause Satan's scared of me in hell
    So start flippin your coins into the wishing well
    And wish me well, cause one wrong move and then the mission's failed
    No remorse for a criminal, hidden like subliminal
    But talkin reckless splats your brain minerals
    All over the concrete, nightmares try to haunt me
    Shadows of dead rappers bodies are tryna taunt me

2. your flow is good, you know how to record, but some of the stuff you write about isn't you, and this bothers me, but than again im finding the same thing to happen with myself, so who am i too judge, but flow wise it was dope and i loved it,

3. What am I about to do, sound like Mac Miller and talk about how my minimum wage job is shitty and that I smoke a lot? Lol, it's the same way an author writes a book about being a serial killer or gangster - it may not be true, but it doesn't mean the words or the visuals don't come correct.

Can you honestly say that at least 80% of rap music is accurate? 50%? Lower? But either way, I'm sure soon enough I'll find "my lane" soon enough, but this was more of a rap to do a Premier/Mobb Deep beat justice. You can't come with anything less than some gritty east coast flavor on something as hot as that.

EDIT: And hurry up and get to the crib, I'm tired of waiting for your ass to appear.

4. You can flow and you can write but when you find your lane please make it authentic. Nobody wants to hear guntalk from Suburban kids.

Also if people are pushing you to do this you might as well not even waste your time. Your drive to do this should be enough alone. It takes a lot of time & energy and a ridiculous amount of dedication and sacrifice. So if your gonna do this you have to really want it...nobody can want it for you.

5. #5 HCL, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
    I told you what the murder weapon was ;)

Clever now, right?

6. I know there are more emcees on GC than two...

7. As soon as I get on the computer with speakers, I'll bump it.

Reading it was dope.

8. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9pc6Qr946g&feature=related]Mobb Deep - Survival Of The Fittest [Instrumental] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdInAweNti0]Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt. 2 [Instrumental] - YouTube[/ame]

mobb deep has the sickest instrumentals

9. you flow like a fucking river, nice. you could do some real damage if you put a bit more power and emphasis behind your voice. get a good quality mic, mix and master that shit and you're legit!

10. I second the more power and emphasis. You came across as quiet and boring, even a little nervous. I thought the lyrics and flow were on point though. Keep it up brother. I definitely see potential in you.

11. im feelin that man, flow like the nile!

if u put full emotion into it would be legit as fuck....just need more emotion behind those words.

if u ever wanna collab hit me up...i produce

12. I think part of the problem was my webcam trying to record the instrumental plus my voice, because I switched up volumes and voice direction and it always came out the same. Regardless, just found out my new roomies has access to a studio quite often, so when I get a second verse, ill get it recorded the right way.

Thanks for all the opinions!

13. you need to put more emphasis into your voice... kind of sounds like you're just not into it. listen to any song, you will hear the emphasis. sounds like you havent found your "rap voice" yet

14. I addressed the voice issue a few posts up, but when I go to actually record we'll see how it sounds with studio quality.

Thanks for the input though man :smoke:

15. I addressed the voice issue a few posts up, but when I go to actually record we'll see how it sounds with studio quality.

Thanks for the input though man :smoke: