Record disapproval for congress after debt talks

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Messiah Decoy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. #21 Arteezy, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
    For those who don't understand the Krugman demotivational, Bastiat does a good job of explaining the broken window fallacy and its relation to taxes:

That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen; by Frederic Bastiat

Also, there would still be demand even if everyone became dirt poor overnight and had "no money to spend on anything".

Keynesian economics relies on governments to do the right thing. It's the belief that the government can allocate the wealth you accrued better than you can. Surely, you guys support programs like the drug war, FDA, CIA, secret prisons, wars overseas, private prisons, private contractors (i.e. blackwater, halliburton, etc.) and the Federal Reserve, no?

2. Its fucking amazing how some people are so willing to bear the brunt of the governments fuck ups.

You are literally saying you are willing to pay more taxes, to fix the spending problems the government has. You think your crusade focuses on the rich, but the rich businessmen are going to pass the cost straight on to you.

If you keep cutting taxes you FORCE the government to reign in spending. You would have to be an idiot to think that they are suddenly going to spend within their means, when they have had a history of being gluttons with our money. Stop giving them money that does not exist, and they will stop spending it, its very very simple and significant.

What does it mean to the average american at this point, if we lose our credit with the people lending money to our government?

We are going to bear the brunt of these fuck ups no matter what, so let it hit the fan, and lets get it cleaned up.

3. raise the debt ceiling, boom done, problem solved.... every president does it, only difference between now and then is the the gop decided to hold the our credit hostage in exchange for their outrageous ideas that hoover tried and clearly failed

4. ps aaronman,
    cutting doesnt create jobs.... where r the jobs that the gops plan creates, oh yeah thats right, 0 jobs

5. Wow...I suggest some reading for you but I don't think it'd do any good.

:(

6. Brilliant !

7. haha i love how you dont respond with an argument, you only respond with ridicule and belittling ppl.... grow up peter pan, count chocula

8. Sorry, there is no "argument" for someone who has no clue of history and speaks in bumper sticker slogans they probably heard some "progressive" statist say in the first place.

9. so u disagree that creating jobs will help the economy and you think cutting helps the economy right?

10. I'd like to be pimps from Oakland or cowboys from Arizona but it's not Halloween.

11. ha, i remember when i heard that back in h.s., used to make me laugh

know more about politics before you come to the grown ups table son:wave:

12. So here is a question, does everyone think the government doesnt get enough revenue in to do what it needs to do?

If you dont then I consider you a person with a greedy mindset. Alot seem to agree to more tax increases while still spending on wasteful programs and inefficiencies. I mean, with a debt this big how can no spending be found thats worth cutting? If we downsized the gov a bit by getting rid of this wasteful spending, we would have the revenue to do whats needed.

I only say this because it seems some people on this board just think by finding new revenue with some spending cuts is gunna fix this problem and its not.

13. Damn, sick burn.

Okay, let me try it your way: "Whatever Paul Krugman says is correct"

amirite?

14. don't worry y'all..

we can just elect a new congress next run..

and everything will be all better like before all these teabaggers ruined everything. Remember the good ole days back in 2009?

15. You sound like that douche bag Charles Krauthammer

After RP won a straw poll

"The only people that vote for RP are college conservatives who haven't grown up yet"

What an asshole.

16. It's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem for sure. We could fund the exact same government we had under Clinton and have a $400B yearly surplus - right now. People talk about rolling back tax cuts, only on the rich mind you, but never talk about rolling back spending. If they really cared about getting our financial house in order they'd roll back spending tremendously, starting with the overseas militarism.

But that's not going to happen...the Military Industrial Complex owns both major parties. Bought and paid for, at "our" expense.

Here are words I never thought would come out of my mouth, be typed at my hand or even thought in my brain: I agree with Cenk Uygur.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bybOdn5-yD0]Fund War, Cut Social Security & Medicare - Senator - YouTube[/ame]

Obama's Mentor, Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT), is arguing that entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare need to be cut so that the U.S. can continue spending massive amounts of money on 'defense (aka wars in Iraq and Afghanistan).

Cenk ends the video on a good fact/thought...worth a watch.

It's all political theater and demagoguing in Washington DC.

There are no cuts and there are no tax increases. They will kick the can down the road until the entire house of cards collapses. Unfortunately, that's probably what will happen as our current debt and obligations are unsustainable regardless of tax rates. They might fuck people out of Social Security as there is no money set aside for them anyway. Cenk mentions the $2.5 Trillion in SS but that money is gone, *poof* vanished, as the Gov has already spent every penny. There is a filing cabinet with $2.5 Trillion in Gov IOU's, that's it.

I find is sickening that anyone can support the Gov destroying the Dollar and guaranteeing that the social programs they claim to love go away permanently, for everyone.

"To close the long-term entitlement gap, the U.S. economy would have to grow by double digits every year for the next 75 years." - Ron Paul

But remember, the "mainstream" Keynesians, Big Gov, and Fed Apologists are right. I mean, look at the wonderful job they've done over the past decades. Everyone else who calls them on their bullshit is an "extremist", a "terrorist", an idiot, etc.

17. The American government sucks, rich greedy bastards don't want to share their wealth... Taxing corporations won't help either, if they pay higher taxes, we pay higher prices.

18. Joe Lieberman backed mccain

19. They only raised the ceiling by what, 2 tril? That will be gone by 2013 or so, they are delaying the inevitable. This ceiling hike was so obama can spend all he wants during his rein, and let it fall on whoever has to take over. When all he had to do was nip it in the bud by cutting spending, prioritizing spending dealing with only revenue collected.

This is not all obamas fault but him being the leader of our country, it falls on him to keep things on track. He either has no idea what he is doing or he is intentionally doing it for some higher plan/purpose (like destroying the house of cards to build it up in a certain way).

20. The government takes in over $2T a year in tax revenue and uses the Federal Reserve whenever it wants some extra dough. How much more money do they need? $5T? $10T?