Recommended soil science books

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by love-2-grow, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Hi everyone. I'm looking to create my own soil and am looking for research suggestions—soil science books, white papers, etc.
    I have made soil in the past and have had great success. However, I want to move away from any animal inputs such as blood meal, bone meal, fish meal, crustacean meal, oyster shell flour, etc.
    On top of that, I want all non-animal inputs to be organic, sustainable, and preferably sourced locally.
    I realize it requires much research and work, but I'm excited about the challenge.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gimiks library in the stickies.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gotcha, and I'm already looking at those. However, it hasn't been updated in eight years, and there have been a lot of research advancements since, so I'm concerned that some of that information is outdated.

4. Teaming With Microbes

• Like Like x 2
  5. They are great books, and I have recently picked up the fourth book in the series, although I haven't read that one yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. What are you trying to accomplish exactly? Are you looking to make 30 gallons of mix or yards worth? Are you wanting to exclude manures? Would you like to purchase or make what you need?

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. #7 love-2-grow, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    My ultimate goal is to create a commercially viable product as my country is poised to go legal in a couple of years. It's a long road to get there, so at first; I'm just looking to create a small batch for my own testing purposes.
    As for manures, the only input I'm planning on using is worm castings. So chicken/cow/horse/sheep/rabbit manure or bat/seabird guano are off the table.
    My current living situation doesn't allow me to make inputs, so for now, I'll have to purchase what is needed.

8. Jeff Lowenfels books

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. #9 CrazyGardener, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    I'd also recommend some reading about permaculture. And, Mycelium Running by Paul Staments.

• Like Like x 1
  10. what kind of research advancements do you mean?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. In order to make such a statement, first you would have needed to read all of the resources in the stickys (probably take a year), then you would need to be aware of research that has been conducted in the past few years, then you would need to be able to make a comparison between the stickys, and all the research since.

Read everything in the stickys, as suggested, then everything posted here.

Maybe it's easier if you list everything you've read, studied, and compiled notes from and what gaps you think you have in your knowledge?

• Like Like x 1
  12. If you want locally sourced, organic, and sustainable that's 100% KNF. Read the book in this thread here KNF: That JADAM Book Here

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Thank you for the suggestion. JADAM is pretty much at the top of my list to start making when I have my own house. Unfortunately, living in a downtown apartment makes the whole process of creating most of the necessary inputs difficult, if not impossible.

So, for now, I will need to buy all inputs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’d second the Lowenfells series and the library here. I’m looking forward to this new Teaming With book that I haven’t gotten yet.