Recommended Listening (uploaded music for you!) - Jazz Funk

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by MajinX, Dec 13, 2006.

1. My first of hopefully many uploads for the good people of the grasscity forums.

He is one of my favourite artists. Joshua Redman. Jazz saxophonist, he has some of the dirtiest tunes, including a completely unique rendition of The Crunge, by led zeppelin.

This zip file includes some of his cooler more rhythmic funky tunes, with the one exception being riverwide (one of my personal favourites).

Enjoy, and let me know what you think. Just give it a try.

http://download.yousendit.com/9E9D3B8513D970AE

2. Josh is amazing. He's also a super cool guy (Went to my high school) I've had the chance to play with him a few times.

His Elastic band stuff with Brian Blade and Sam Yahel is great, but everyone should also check out his more staight ahead stuff like on the albums Wish, Spirt of the Moment, and Passage of time. He is also on Kurt Rosenwinekl's new cd Deep Song and it's truely an amazing record.

I can't wait to see him at the SFJazz festival in a few months. He is playing with the SFJazz collective as well as a group lead by himself and Brad Mehldau. It should be great.

+Rep for spreading some music around that ACTUALLY GOOD!

3. It's all about the Elastic Band. I've been getting into them a lot lately. However, his live cd at the Vanguard is really excellent. He shows off his altissimo and sick glissandos on "My One and Only Love" and his 5 minute intro into Sonny Rollins' "St. Thomas" is incredible.

P.S. I like "Deep Song", but I wish Mark Turner was on it instead of Redman. I love "The Cross"; that groove at the end is AMAZING.

EDIT: Check out this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd5m0_joshua-redman-jazz-crimes

This is the Elastic Band, playing "Jazz Crimes"

4. Mmmm...sick!

I love jazz saxophone...or as my younger (20yo) sister calls it... "Panera Music."

Thanks for the recommendation...i'm diggin his album Wish!

5. oh trust me. i know his other stuff is amazing. i have it all on my computer :)

but the elastic band stuff is really my favourite stylistically. although i love it all. his altissimo on st. thomas is amazing too.

I'm up to E4 comfortably on my alto.. have yet to get a tenor :(

I'm eagerly awaiting any show he plays at in the near future in toronto. Definitely gotta check it out.

6. Tenor player here. I can get UP TO concert C1 on my Tenor, but miss notes like Gb2 sometimes. Altissimo isn't my favorite, because many players just use it to be flashy and not as another extension of the saxophone. I've been experimenting more with microtones and harmonics right now. Check out Pharaoh Sanders' playing, you'll know what I mean ;)

EDIT: by E4, do you mean the 4th octave of E on your sax, or actually E4, your low B?

7. microtones? as in quarter tones?

concert c1 as in D4?

ive only heard a bit of pharoah sanders. dirty stuff. im working on some ridiculous altissimo from time to time (lenny pickett style). But mostly i work my altissimo regularly into playing, not as high screechers. I've stabilized everything I regularly play well enough to make vibrato easy on em too.

I havent worked with harmonics much, only played around from time to time. It's some stuff i really want to get good at soon though. I also really want to learn how to slap tongue well.

There are many players whose altissimo is so good. Some have it seamless so its just like regular range (ie mark turner) and some, it has a voice of its own. I'll never get over how masterful michael brecker is incorporating harmonics and altissimo.

8. thanks man, i've been really looking around for some great jazz bands, and it's kinda hard if you dont know anything/anybody in the jazz genre.
    i'm downloading from the link you posted up, and hopefully i'll like it :)

btw, do you know any other jazz musicians/bands that you would recommend? especially ones with a pianist. if possible, message me about it.. thanks a lot bro

9. Microtones aren't necessarily quarter tones....there are MANY tones between an F and an F#, not just 4. But it's the same idea.

D4 - the 4th octave of D on a Tenor Sax, yeah. I never really use altissimo unless I hit a rise in the song or create an emotional climax or something. I like the clean altissimo sounds, but it's not for me. I play on a metal mouthpiece, and altissimo sounds i.e. Wayne Shorter and Coltrane. I'm looking into a nice rubber mouthpiece for less energetic stuff.

Slap tonguing's a real crazy effect. Listen to this band called "Lettuce". Some of the funkiest shit you will ever hear. There's a song called "Nyack" off of an album called "Live in Tokyo". The sax players use slapping very well.

Michael Brecker's playing is just awe-inspiring. His cd "Tales from the Hudson" is so good, with Mccoy on piano and Metheny on guitar...I'm not a huge fan of Metheny, but his rips some of the songs apart.

What setup do you use? I play on a '68 Mark 6, with an Otto Link 7 star mouthpiece. I've been experimenting with reeds, but right now it's a Vandoren Java 3.

10. Here are my two favorite piano trio works:

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs.
    - Incredible piano trio. Roy Haynes plays drums, and just tears everything apart. The original bass player from Weather Report (not Jaco) plays on it too.

Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    - Some of the best piano trio songs ever recorded. Scott Lafaro plays bass, and Paul Motian plays drums.

11. Glad to see some Jazz lovers up in here!

12. Also, check out brad meldau.

I've got a couple killer radiohead covers by him. Absolutely amazing - exist music and paranoid android. pm me if youd like me to upload em

13. I'm not so much a fan of Meldhau. I saw him on December 1st at my college with Larry Grenedier and Jeff Ballard; I fell asleep during some of it. It's just too smooth for my liking. However, I DO like Meldhau's versions of standards and his stuff with Kurt Rosenwinkel.

14. im not a huge fan of a lot of meldaus stuff too..

but his cover of exit music and paranoid android are just too good

15. True. I don't like his version of "Everything in its Right Place" though...you just can't make a version better than Radiohead did it.

16. radiohead is amazing. to me, they are the best current band out there in that general style.

i just finished downloading all of their b-sides. they are amazing.

17. I honestly think they are one of the most talented bands out there right now. Radiohead and Tool.

18. rumandromanism, you don't like Brad Mehldau? That's hard for me to believe if you like Bill Evans. Do you have any of his art of the trio cds?

19. Yeah, that's the stuff I like. His version of "Anthropology" is amazing. I just don't really like the poppy stuff; it bores me. His covers are cool though. I respect him a lot for that.

20. i appreciate meldau and bill evans, but i dont really love them. when it comes to piano players i enjoy oscar peterson. i also really like some stuff chick corea does.

in general though, i much prefer exotic sounds of the keys. stuff like the hammond b3, electronic styles.

but, i have to say. brad meldau and pat metheny are absolutely brilliant on their album together.